Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The system Old Man Star is named for the lone crew member who survived a sub-light trip there to set up a stargate?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: House of Heidrich  (Read 4504 times)

Gervas Heidrich

House of Heidrich
« on: 16 Apr 2013, 11:19 »

I'm taking under consideration the idea of starting a role playing house for the Heidrich family. This house would be a minor noble "holder" house under the Amarrian heirarchial structure with little influence until my toons have actually grown (skill wise) enough to have any sort of ability to push on foreign politics and/or military strategem. I would be seeking to place the house into an alliance, pre-existing or newly forming, in an in-character fashion. I am also interested in commissioning an artist, for ISK, to design the crest of the house.

If anyone is interested in entertaining or expanding upon this idea, please get with me in-game.

Anslol

Re: House of Heidrich
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2013, 11:27 »

I wish I was Amarrian...then I'd start a house...

(Winter is Coming)...

Serious mode: This actually sounds like an awesome world building idea. +1 to you and good luck. I hope it takes off!

I also expect to see castles upon vast mountain ranges and mirror like lakes.

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2013, 11:32 »

I thought about that whole large and regal thing at first. But then I decided to Err on the side of realistic modesty.  8) Maybe once I do get large castles with mirror lakes, I'll turn you all into chamber slaves and work you to death with slaver hounds at every door.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2013, 11:35 »

That sounds like a cool idea. I've always wanted to delve into Amarr RP in this kind of fashion. You could use it as an alt corp of sorts to play with while your main does other things till youre ready to take over the house properly. I certainly wish you luck with this.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2013, 11:47 »

Sounds great!

Be mindful of how you deal with your relative strength vs other capsuleers, your 'new' status in that community with regards to your baseliner power and influence. This can be tough for Amarr RPers especially, those coming from privilege and status and then being a relative noob nobody in capsuleer circles. Plenty of fuel for good RP there!

IE saying you are from a great and noble house and fabulously wealthy while flying your punisher around and dying 100 times might not get the capsuleer reaction you are looking for RP wise.  Maybe you are the first in the House to be a capsuleer, etc etc and work your way up from there.

Sounds great though good luck!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2013, 11:48 »

There's a few Holder "households" floating around in the RP community, either as corps or as background RP/worldbuilding entities, so there are plenty of people around who should be able to help you out with ideas or advice if you need it.

Morwen is part of one, technically, but it's not very widely publicized IC. >.>
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2013, 11:50 »

IE saying you are from a great and noble house and fabulously wealthy while flying your punisher around and dying 100 times might not get the capsuleer reaction you are looking for RP wise.  Maybe you are the first in the House to be a capsuleer, etc etc and work your way up from there.

Hense the prior statement - "minor noble holder with little influence" until the skills are high enough to justify gloating about high and mighty.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2013, 11:51 »

It might also be useful to 'map out' your House and their relationship to and opinion of other Holders, Heir Houses, Empress, The Reclaiming, etc before you go public.

Will help you to have a plan and know the background broad strokes before someone asks or challenges you on an Imperial issue and you have to go hmmmm for 5 minutes while thinking what side of issues you are on.

Don't kill yourself with background but it might make some conversations with other Amarr go more smoothly and believable.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2013, 11:52 »

Hense the prior statement - "minor noble holder with little influence" until the skills are high enough to justify gloating about high and mighty.

Or be a pompous ass and gloat high and mighty off the bat and see if you can back it up!  :P

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2013, 11:59 »

Starting a house when no one knows you in the RP community is the perfect opportunity for the house to gain its notoriety as a house name with less emphasis on the individual. Your actions, in the sense of nobility I would think, would have to reflect, to a large degree, the general attitude and policy of the house you're representing. I would also think it not be inconceivable that a commoner in Amarrian society managed to work his way up to the status of a holder thus having that character be the first to root himself into the noble line. That's the idea I'm going off of. I'll be doing some reading on Amarrian chronicles, attitudes and government policy to fabricate the House of Heidrich's attitude towards certain affairs.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2013, 12:02 by Gervas Heidrich »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2013, 12:04 »

Starting a house when no one knows you in the RP community is the perfect opportunity for the house to gain its notoriety as a house name with less emphasis on the individual. Your actions, in the sense of nobility I would think, would have to reflect, to a large degree, the general attitude and policy of the house you're representing. I would also think it not be inconceivable that a commoner in Amarrian society managed to work his way up to the status of a holder thus having that character be the first to root himself into the noble line. That's the idea I'm going off of. I'll be doing some reading on Amarrian chronicles, attitudes and government policy to fabricate the House of Heidrich's attitude towards certain affairs.

Commonors work their way up all the time, but usually as the result of their family pushing and pushing for many generations to push up. 

This can be done through cash/money like the Tash-Murkons, or other means.

Remember there is a war on, has been going on for years, we can imagine many many minor families and commoners have been raised up and granted lands and titles through service to the 24th Imperial Crusade, etc.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2013, 12:40 »

The problem is that you have no power over the npcs in the game.

Claiming it at any point of your career will discredit all your work that you have put into this project.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2013, 13:01 »

We have plenty of power over lots of generic NPC's, or NPCs we create for RP, but not 'ccp' npcs (unless during events or news stories etc).

This power needs to be metered and believable based on relative capsuleer performance, though :P

IE: I'm not landing troops on Athra, and my people aren't invading Delve, but I am pillaging certain areas of lowsec...

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2013, 13:04 »

The problem is that you have no power over the npcs in the game.

Claiming it at any point of your career will discredit all your work that you have put into this project.

This is something I don't particularly care for in back stories either. In the 18 years I've been role playing in MMOs, the use of NPCs to establish a foundation of power, personal relationships, or bloodline in order to justify one's influence in the world end up inevitably back firing on you the more you use it. You then start facing inquests and inquiries from those who have real influence which then has a habit of destroying any credibility your character ever had. Like I said from the start, this is a very modest, very small, noble holder's house with emphasis on the realistic angle of how it came to gain the status. Ties to hard coded lore or NPCs, for me, is off limits and out of the question other than to say the Heidrich family was granted the title by the Royal House for X,Y,Z.

As you all get to actually know me, you'll find I'm not the overly egocentric, self-entitled pompous ass bent on treating everyone like garbage for the sake of self preservation and power grabbing. But I'll leave that assessment up to you folks to determine yourself.

Speaking of troops landing (ref: Silas) - Now that Dust 514 is integrated with EVE, that will bring in a whole new playing field for noble houses. I very much intend to explore that avenue later on.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2013, 13:16 »

The easiest way to avoid some of these 'godmodding' issues is to link them with your capsuleer and how well they do in the capsuleer world.

You are an ace pilot, you do great work, you spearhead the crusade and capture much territory for the Empire, (or something related, just an example here) +5 cool points for your background and adjust your standing in their world accordingly.

You die horribly in a ball of fire every single time you undock, you have no money, no one respects you IC, you have no influence over other capsuleers, maybe -5 cool points for your relative influence planetside.

Also the sized and reach of any organization you work with can help these things.

Large RP groups (something like IRED), have hundreds of thousands of baseliners working away for them.

Old, storied groups (like PIE), are ridiculously famous among Imperial baseliners and are likely inundated with applicants and faithful all the time.

It's all about weaving how you and your character are perceived by others into your RP.
Pages: [1] 2 3