Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the war between Electus Matari and PIE Inc started when -EM- pilots destroyed a slaver vessel in The Bleak Lands?

Author Topic: Foreign corporations and who they employ  (Read 1085 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Foreign corporations and who they employ
« on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:45 »

From the Annaro mining incident, it is apparent that within the Caldari State at least, foreign corporations that operate within Caldari space (excluding Quafe) bring their own employees, as if I'm not mistaken, you need to be employed by a CEP-recognized megacorp (of which there are 9) or a subsidiary to be considered a Caldari citizen, excluding Navy, CBT etc. As the only non-Caldari firm to hold corp status is Quafe, then I don't think you can be a Caldari and be employed by a non-Caldari corp.

However, what seems to be completely untouched is the notion that foreign corporations would employ the locals otherwise, as they're certainly not as strict in regards to their corporations (not being corporate states) for example. Ducia Foundry in the Federation would employ Gallenteans, Kaalakiota in the Republic would employ Minmatar. Hell, Wiyrkomi and Modern Finances has a large presence in the Mannar home system...who would they employ?

It'd be interesting to see a character that is a citizen of their own country but born on a station owned by a foreign corporation. I've seen absolutely zero of this, and I think most of us assume the station is full of whatever ethnicity owns the station. What do people think?

Creedance Talor

• Clonejack
Re: Foreign corporations and who they employ
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:52 »

I would think that there are surely jobs within Corporations who have 'outposts' so to say that employ local employee's at least to a degree with the caldari being very strict and very uniform I would think that jobs of high importance remain within Caldari hands. I am sure this is overlooked in cases where they can get a researcher that is highly skilled I am sure they would still hire them simply for the profit in mind.
I would however say janitorial duty's or simple mechanical jobs and market tenders and such is not affected by the ethnicity on Caldari Gallente or  Minmatar stations. I could imagine some amarr feeling below such a job so that could be considered one gap but otherwise I could trully see those kinds of jobs being without ethnic seperation.

Bureeiku

• Blake Rathen
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2011, 14:27 »

First of all, EVE is a world of racial and cultural divides.  The prime fiction paints people groups with a broad brush.

So when you talk about the culture of a corporation or a place, the main actors are going to exude the predominant ideals.  Sure, you will have social outcasts who may find a limited success if they have a particular talent or use, but I assume they would mostly act behind the scenes.

If you are someone (like me) who uses the Japanese as an example to inform you of possible Caldari cultural notions, then I would agree that at least cultural uniformity, if not racial uniformity in the State is preferable to having to deal with those who may offend the sensibilities.  You get a taste of the cultural divide in that chron about the sneaky Gallentean trader (name?), and the retconned Deteis description in the Evelopedia supports the concept of a rigid Caldari social structure.

I can still remember during my brief trip to Japan the astonished looks of the old men on the train.  I could see the imaginary anime bubble over their heads, "Hey! What is that white guy doing on my commute!"  It was far from a 'rural' community, yet surprisingly homogeneous. 

I imagine that in any rigid culture, such as those of the Caldari and the Amarr, you would find little diversity of employees, with only a few outsiders who had the skill and interest in mastering and conforming to the culture.  Gallente and Minmatar conversely appear more open to working well with different types.  I'd be interested to hear differing perspectives.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2011, 23:48 »

As the only non-Caldari firm to hold corp status is Quafe, then I don't think you can be a Caldari and be employed by a non-Caldari corp.
I think it can be argued that CreoDron (and Ducia Foundry) have some status within the Caldari State, but were not part of the CEP/funding the Caldari "government."  There are benefits to a corporation taking part, registering with, etc the State's "government."  It is may be better for a corporation to have a case against another corporation heard in the CBT than the Federation's court system for example.

Annaro mining incident
I think that may represent Ducia bringing in a "special team" that they do not necessarily have employed in the State & Federation (where they have stations).

you need to be employed by a CEP-recognized megacorp (of which there are 9) or a subsidiary to be considered a Caldari citizen
There seems to be the potential here for someone to play a dual Federation and State citizen, for example a Jonenor-Sinq Laison Kaalakiota employed Gallente.  And what are would be their thoughts on the new CEO, the Federation's restrictions on the Caldari megacorporations, and State politics?  What lens do they get to see the world through?

Varlerian

• Your friendly neighborhood entrepreneur
  • Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2011, 07:02 »

Hmm I don't have any characters that would fit Seri's description exactly, but a Minmatar born, raised, and loyal to the Caldari State comes pretty close I think.. :p

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2011, 11:59 »

It'd be interesting to see a character that is a citizen of their own country but born on a station owned by a foreign corporation. I've seen absolutely zero of this, and I think most of us assume the station is full of whatever ethnicity owns the station. What do people think?
Bataav was born in Scolluzer, Verge Vendor to an Intaki mother and Deteis father. His father worked for NOH after leaving the Intaki Home system a couple of years earlier and so Bataav was born on one of the NOH stations in the system.

So here we have a capsuleer born on a Caldari station in a Federation system.

It actually raises the question of nationality when characters such as Bataav who are mixed race. Seriphyn I think is Deteis / Jin-Mei?

I've always had it in my mind that Bataav, having being raised by his Deteis father following the death of his mother, as being "officially" a State citizen despite his heritage. His in-game details showing him as just Intaki are explained by him using papers referring to his Intaki mother to get a place at FDU.

Reasons and background "Bataav lore" for this are in the RP pipeline for my own character development arc which will be reflected in the Bataav post here and his own EVEWiki page when more has been revealed. Already bits and pieces are being seeded in places which can all be referred to in the future as and when they become applicable.
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

Bureeiku

• Blake Rathen
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2011, 08:54 »

I neglected to link this.

But in every one of these restaurants, all you will ever see is pretty Civire girls waiting tables, with the silvery circular logo of the State out front.  Meanwhile, in the engine room, it is most often Gallente chefs who will be driving things forward. Not just at Pmokka, but at Diurelli, and almost anywhere else you care to look behind the curtain. The Caldari think they're exploiting the labor of the Gallente, and the Gallente think they're influencing Caldari culture, one mouthful at a time. The Amarr and Minmatar? Shit, they aren't even really here. They're just ghosts; puppet apparitions dancing to the tune of friends and foes up north.

This could be taken as support for the general rule that 'foreign' workers would typically be found behind the scenes, and locals would be the face that customers see.