Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Electus Matari lost over 400 members at the start of its war with PIE Inc?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Masked Molok  (Read 8180 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: The Masked Molok
« Reply #45 on: 05 Dec 2014, 17:29 »

I prefer to combine my space opera with my soap opera.

Oh I agree too, it's all shades of grey here.

It's more of a wish list for a more dynamic and engaging background to work with i guess is all ;(

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #46 on: 05 Dec 2014, 17:33 »

Fair points. But honestly a ton of millionaires have done very little to shape our world either. Facebook/Microsoft and the like are exceptions not the rule.

To me, Bono is a good example of the limitations fame and money have. Yeah he's a rockstar and he successfully pledges millions upon millions to world hunger and curative humanitarian aid. But you don't see him down in the Congo fighting the warlords at the same time. Having an effect is one thing. But attempting to mold the world is just cocky (and totally ineffective.)

The rich and the famous still put their pants on one leg at a time as the saying goes. But people are forgetting to put their pants on in the morning. Their crafting these elaborate and deep (in many cases verging well into "special snowflake"  territory) characters and forgetting this fact. They mire themselves in the grand scheme and over time the turn into the amorphous blob that is the stereotypical.

Oppenheimer changed the world along with other scientist. The invention of the Internet changed the world. But we can't all be Oppenheimer's and we can't all have the next Internet in our back pocket.

Solving the Amarr/Matari slave conflict is not something CCP would even allow in the first place.

Yeah it's a great way to get your character started, but if your character or arc is "free all slaves/end slavery"  you've  basically swallowed arsenic right from the get go.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #47 on: 06 Dec 2014, 10:41 »

IRL I can talk about something new happening in the world everyday.

In Eve I can't anymore, since world news disappeared.

The problem is not really about leaving your huge mark on New Eden universe and changing the lore, the problem is to actually live in a bubble where nothing happens when you play someone that is supposed to be at the center of the hurricane.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #48 on: 06 Dec 2014, 11:15 »

There's a reason Seinfeld is considered the most popular sitcom of all time while simultaneously being a show literally about nothing.

People overestimate and overplay their need to part of something greater in a fundamental way. And in many cases it's unfortunately reinforced with how we tend view things.

Are you a hero or a villain? A true believer or a heretic? A warrior or a soft touch? We apply these labels to ourselves and forget the baggage that comes alone with it.

Indeed the expectation that we must be the center of a storm is more shackling than it is freeing.

Even capsuleers have dreams, eat breakfast in the morning, and fall in love. But somewhere along the line many of us forget the human aspect.

There's so much living many of us forget to do when we take up a crusade. Lack of any real change or news is just an excuse to deeper explore their character and their connections with those around them.

I myself am much more entertained by the quiet subdued conversations I share with people IC'ly. Perhaps this is just my latent curiosity but I'm infinitely more interested in why you are, as opposed to what you are.

To lay out more praises. Chats with Charles, Halcyon, Veikitamo, and others have been the primary reason I've continued to role play in Eve given the dramatic rise of my little Corp into nullsec Sov holding. Saede to praises her again has recently taken to holding  little philosophic and trans humanist dialogues on Summit which are admittedly the most refreshing thing I've seen in a channel otherwise plagued with the same Tropes day in day out.

All of this, doesn't require a shred of CCP's help, nor any change in game lore. It doesn't require earth shattering events, or singularities. It just requires a healthy curiosity and a willingness to plumb the depths of your own character.

I play games primarily for the story now. MMO's I only play for the Rp. Of course this is me,  it's entirely subjective and I'm sure a lot of you need more than that to enjoy Eve. But that's my 2 scents.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2014, 11:21 by Vizage »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #49 on: 06 Dec 2014, 11:53 »

Who said the contrary ?

There is a huge differentiation that has to be made between the daily lives of our characters, their dreams, their hopes, their struggles, their failures and victories and overall all these little adventures and character fleshing out, and on the other hand them being capsuleers, and such, at the center of the storm. We can argue about semantics all we want, but that will never change the fact that capsuleers are not your average joe, even if they can live their daily lives as plain as the average joe.

And with that in mind, you can perfectly develop a very deep and well thought character with a very active and dense everyday storytelling, evolving, breathing and living (I know since I did that too, like most of you), there will always be the other facet that is missing of the picture : the capsuleer context. And I expect it to have some serious consequences on the former. For example, my character has never felt so plain and complete than when stuff was actually happening in New Eden. It brought a huge deal of self reflections, discussions and character development that was otherwise missing when playing "my daily life". And before you get on your high horses I had my best RP moments with that "daily life" development and certainly not in space. In space sucks for character building RP tbh.

I also agree that it's harming oneself to expect to only have the other half (the latter) too.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2014, 11:59 by Lyn Farel »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #50 on: 06 Dec 2014, 13:10 »

For those contending that game world developments are not necessary for a good and healthy rp community I'll just have you contrast the size and active number of involved role players when things are happening vs when things aren't.   When there were isd events, and when there aren't. When there were regular news updates and world building, and when there aren't.

Its hard to have a good game of D&D when the DM hasn't shown up in years.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #51 on: 06 Dec 2014, 16:20 »

For those contending that game world developments are not necessary for a good and healthy rp community I'll just have you contrast the size and active number of involved role players when things are happening vs when things aren't.   When there were isd events, and when there aren't. When there were regular news updates and world building, and when there aren't.

Its hard to have a good game of D&D when the DM hasn't shown up in years.

I don't think I'd ever argue that it doesn't help.  Of course it helps. I myself have voiced multiple times to multiple people that I feel like I missed the Golden days of eve Rp. But comparing activity as an argument for quality isn't something I'm ready to get into bed with just yet.

Of course there's going to be more active people when CCP is spoonfeeding us things to do. The huge meta arch that CCP is capable of as a developer allows them to includes swaths of us while still giving us a place in it all.

I'd never argue that meta arch aren't better for satiating the masses than smaller Rp. That's what they are designed to do.

What I'm arguing is that quality Rp is very much still possible without it. Many people have hosted there own events which are quite successful, but sitting around waiting to be spoonfed new arch when CCP has a myriad of other player bases to attend to is a fast track to starvation, boredom, and eventually quitting.

TLDR: Yes everyone wants more live events. But if you expect them like they are your bread and butter, your gonna have a bad time.

P. S.  We should really take this to PM Silas I think we are epically hijacking at this point.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2014, 16:29 by Vizage »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #52 on: 06 Dec 2014, 17:16 »

Yup, good idea for new thread.

I'd apologize to OP but then again they are being anonymous in ooc forum so nah  :yar:

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #53 on: 06 Dec 2014, 18:55 »

one of the abducted persons, apparently connected to the summit.

since i have nothing else to do rp-wise, i went there, with a load of marines. There being the location that a locator agent said the abductee was.

but I didn't see anything.

so vOv. Either the marines found the abductor/abductee, or they did not.
\o/

Ria Nieyli

• Delicate Feminine Flower
  • Egger
« Reply #54 on: 07 Dec 2014, 04:53 »

« Last Edit: 16 May 2015, 19:05 by Lt Col Nieyli »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #55 on: 07 Dec 2014, 06:52 »

well, I'm offering an 'out' if people want to drop it. And have 'Molok' captured or killed by the marines.
\o/

Ria Nieyli

• Egger
« Reply #56 on: 07 Dec 2014, 06:57 »

« Last Edit: 16 May 2015, 19:05 by Lt Col Nieyli »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #57 on: 09 Dec 2014, 00:22 »

the character was biomassed, despite presence of the marines I brought to the location, so that's that.

no communication with the character, so vOv.
\o/

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #58 on: 13 Dec 2014, 06:17 »

You realise there's two of them, right?

vOv

another one, or same one, doesn't really matter. No way to interact with them, and no means of prevention of more and more biomassed characters.

Obviously, if there are clues ingame, I'm too dumb to figure them out. So meh.
\o/

Ria Nieyli

• Egger
« Reply #59 on: 13 Dec 2014, 06:21 »

« Last Edit: 16 May 2015, 19:03 by Lt Col Nieyli »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5