Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The nation of Jin-Mei is the latest addition to the Federation? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: YOUR DOIN IT WRONG! Or: "Capsuleers are Above The Law!"  (Read 8927 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Re: YOUR DOIN IT WRONG! Or: "Capsuleers are Above The Law!"
« Reply #45 on: 14 Sep 2011, 16:36 »

3) When capsuleers go planetside (and they do go planetside, regardless of anyones protesting about how we're demi-gods and dont need to) [....]

Do you have any evidence of this, or is this an assertion of your own?

Serious question. I play that Mata spends time with her kin planetside, but there are times when I read what comes out of CCP and think that that's not what they intend.

(I gave an only-half-joking list of reasons why we might not interact with planets a while back, and expanded on that later.)

Mostly just simple deduction and established precedent really.

Granted, release of WiS and Dust 514 probably muddles up a good deal. For instance, we're supposed to be able to knock about with Dust Mercs on "war barges" or stations, so wouldnt we be getting all the planetside bugs? Of course not, theres probably a decon camber. But doesnt that mean it wont work in reverse too? If Dust players can come stationside, what is preventing us from going planetside? Plus theres the masive technology plothole device which can be whipped out here, i.e. would planet atmospheres be so lethal considering the type of medical services available to capsuleers?

Plus if we really cant go planetside, this buggers up a whole lot of peoples RP.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 15 Sep 2011, 13:03 »

Mostly just simple deduction and established precedent really.

Deduction from what? Precedent in character roleplay or in prime fiction?

Plus if we really cant go planetside, this buggers up a whole lot of peoples RP.

Correct. That is, however, not an argument.

Ryven Krennel

• Wetgraver
« Reply #47 on: 15 Sep 2011, 17:08 »

I guess I figured if the technology existed to scan hulls from a distance of miles, and clone to the extent that they do, keeping a database of hundreds of billions of people, even trillions, would be pretty easy.  I am weird that way. 

As for all this other stuff about planetside interaction, dunno.  I hope it isn't impossible, b/c most of the RP-ers I know have been planetside a lot.  I can't think of any reason not to.

Thansoli

• Republic Loyalist
  • Clonejack
  • [LUTI]<-EM->
« Reply #48 on: 15 Sep 2011, 17:44 »

It seems to me that if the Amarrian government had the opportunity to get a hold of me when I'm away from my pod and not in the capsuleer-only section of a station, they would take fullest advantage of it. They might not run around announcing it to the cluster, but if they could knock me off or lock me up quietly, I'm sure they would. It addition to the punishment they currently serve out to us, CONCORD is really a method to keep the capsuleer population in check. Say the Amarr arrest me. Matarki and Miz come racing to my rescue with their hair on fire (cause it's scary). As soon as they open fire on the MoIO station where I'm being held, BAM! Concordoken. Thus protecting the Empire from the evil capsuleer, regardless of their (the emipres) actions. Even the Elder Fleet had to disable Concord before they could attack.

Now, to look at it from another side of the same coin. It also seems logical that if the Republic Security Services brought me in for questioning, I would be perfectly willing to accept that. I fight for the Republic, and I can be reasonably sure they're not going to "bite the hand that feeds them", as it were. I even RP'd something similar a while back, with the RSS impounding my hangar and confining me to my quarters (and forcing me to stare at the door... :P).

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #49 on: 16 Sep 2011, 07:25 »

According to PF, ungifted people are very intimidated by capsuleers due to their rarity and demigodness. They do encounter each other. Planetary authorities can be just as intimidated as all the rest.

As for going to planets, Kazzzi owns one in capsuleer sov space. He goes to it all the time and is starting a colony of renegade Amarrians. Concord isn't stopping him. I feel that a lot of stuff that people do outside game mechanics is often wrongly considered godmoding, but in Kazzzi's case it might really be godmoding since he may very well start his own religion.  :lol:

I feel that it is time to get rid of Concord and just let each Empire take over their own police duties. Concord has too much of the feel that you get when a DM kills your character for traveling too far off the plotline.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #50 on: 17 Sep 2011, 04:26 »

According to PF, ungifted people are very intimidated by capsuleers due to their rarity and demigodness. They do encounter each other. Planetary authorities can be just as intimidated as all the rest.

As for going to planets, Kazzzi owns one in capsuleer sov space. He goes to it all the time and is starting a colony of renegade Amarrians. Concord isn't stopping him. I feel that a lot of stuff that people do outside game mechanics is often wrongly considered godmoding, but in Kazzzi's case it might really be godmoding since he may very well start his own religion.  :lol:

I feel that it is time to get rid of Concord and just let each Empire take over their own police duties. Concord has too much of the feel that you get when a DM kills your character for traveling too far off the plotline.

The thing about Concord is it provides some sort of logic for why pilots from otherwise hostile nations can fly into enemy space and dock at enemy stations (assuming faction standings with the relevant faction aren't nuked). Of course where it gets weird is faction warfare. Where you can dock at enemy militia and fleet/navy stations for some odd reason, as opposed to having their sentries open up on you. But FW is full of immersion killing little details like this.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #51 on: 17 Sep 2011, 06:09 »

The thing about Concord is it provides some sort of logic for why pilots from otherwise hostile nations can fly into enemy space and dock at enemy stations (assuming faction standings with the relevant faction aren't nuked).

Docking rights based on standings would be awesome, but CCP is usually afraid to touch the archaic hieroglyphics used for standings coding.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #52 on: 17 Sep 2011, 13:42 »

The thing about Concord is it provides some sort of logic for why pilots from otherwise hostile nations can fly into enemy space and dock at enemy stations (assuming faction standings with the relevant faction aren't nuked).

Docking rights based on standings would be awesome, but CCP is usually afraid to touch the archaic hieroglyphics used for standings coding.

The trouble with completely locking someone out of an enemy station is that if a person wants to change sides how do they work standings back to the point where they aren't persona non grata?

Kinda odd that enemies of the state can board military stations though. For all that we are tooling around in warships that sort of thing should be a privilege of folks that a faction (or at least the corp in question) feels it can trust implicitly.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #53 on: 17 Sep 2011, 14:02 »

CCP does not want to affect the gameplay for players outside of FW, so if any docking right stuff would happen, it would be about FW participants only.

There were thoughts about that in the beginning of FW. The "more likely" idea was to simply disable all services in a station for a member of an enemy faction. Haven't heard anything about that anymore, though.

CCP hints and implications have it that FW will be looked at when low-sec is being reworked sometime next year (winter?). *crossesfingers*

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #54 on: 17 Sep 2011, 14:05 »

The trouble with completely locking someone out of an enemy station is that if a person wants to change sides how do they work standings back to the point where they aren't persona non grata?

Kinda odd that enemies of the state can board military stations though. For all that we are tooling around in warships that sort of thing should be a privilege of folks that a faction (or at least the corp in question) feels it can trust implicitly.

lowsec stations? there's no faction police in lowsec either, so being able to dock at enemy faction lowsec stations would allow working up standings.

militia stations would be exception, probably, except in occupied systems. e.g. enemies of gallente shouldn't be able to dock in FDU stations. possibly even extend so that you have to be FDU to dock in FDU stations. but if the STPRO occupy a federation system, then they can dock at the FDU station in it.

but then again, there's ideas about the principle of a sandbox, i.e.  a player can do what they want. But then again, it's a sandbox with borders and some rules.

it's a bit of a mess really :s
\o/

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #55 on: 17 Sep 2011, 16:00 »

Also consider what would happen if local law enforcement just let everyone who said "whoah, did you know I'm a capsuleer" off the hook?

Since we're a few hundred thousand among hundreds of billions, The law enforcement is bound to be a tad sceptical when someone tries to claim immunity due to being a capsuleer

The implant jacks on your back tend to lend a bit more credibility to your claim.

In an age where every man and his dog seems to have access to implants, not to mention half decent cosmetic surgery, I'd still say the average overworked, underpaid officer of the law isnt going to stop around to have an "are you who you say you are debate". Plus, by dint of the fact you're needing to prove you're a capsuleer, we can presume you've broken the law, therefore it doesnt really matter if you're a capsuleer, becuase you're out of pod and have broken the law.

Capsuleer implants are pretty distinctive and tend to stand out from anything else on the market. Just sayin'.

:)

Mostly I meant someone could graft some metal that looks like the capsule jacks on to you, and security would be none the wiser. Plus, not all law enforcement would be polite enough to give you a neck inspection prior to putting you in a cell.

Fair point though, on a more advanced planet that would lead to your release pretty sharpish. Whenever they do a medical test, anyway.

I should imagine that given the level of security scanning we have now, 20 millennia into the future there are probably handheld devices as common as a cellphone for taking full biometric scans of an individual.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #56 on: 17 Sep 2011, 19:46 »

Also consider what would happen if local law enforcement just let everyone who said "whoah, did you know I'm a capsuleer" off the hook?

Since we're a few hundred thousand among hundreds of billions, The law enforcement is bound to be a tad sceptical when someone tries to claim immunity due to being a capsuleer

The implant jacks on your back tend to lend a bit more credibility to your claim.

In an age where every man and his dog seems to have access to implants, not to mention half decent cosmetic surgery, I'd still say the average overworked, underpaid officer of the law isnt going to stop around to have an "are you who you say you are debate". Plus, by dint of the fact you're needing to prove you're a capsuleer, we can presume you've broken the law, therefore it doesnt really matter if you're a capsuleer, becuase you're out of pod and have broken the law.

Capsuleer implants are pretty distinctive and tend to stand out from anything else on the market. Just sayin'.

:)

Mostly I meant someone could graft some metal that looks like the capsule jacks on to you, and security would be none the wiser. Plus, not all law enforcement would be polite enough to give you a neck inspection prior to putting you in a cell.

Fair point though, on a more advanced planet that would lead to your release pretty sharpish. Whenever they do a medical test, anyway.

I should imagine that given the level of security scanning we have now, 20 millennia into the future there are probably handheld devices as common as a cellphone for taking full biometric scans of an individual.

Doesn't The Burning Life specifically mention something of that nature early on in the book? Security key-cards that biometrically scan the user to identify if they're legal or not.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #57 on: 17 Sep 2011, 20:40 »

Doesn't The Burning Life specifically mention something of that nature early on in the book? Security key-cards that biometrically scan the user to identify if they're legal or not.

I think that's rather late in the book, during the 'infiltration'.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #58 on: 18 Sep 2011, 08:50 »

I think that's rather late in the book, during the 'infiltration'.

How did that go? Kind of skint atm so cant buy it.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #59 on: 18 Sep 2011, 08:57 »

My main problem with this technology argument is that everyone seems to take a view that technology simplifies everything. In reality, excuse poor metaphor, human development in technology is like a growing tree, it branches outwards. Any new tech is bound to have issues all around it.

*grumblegrumblegrumble

But anyhow, my other point, which I think is the more relevent is that law enforcement and government is massively varied across the cluster. We cant make blanket statements about the entire cluster regarding this.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2011, 09:10 by Nmaro Makari »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5