Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: SWTOR: Will/how will you play?  (Read 17620 times)

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
Re: SWTOR: Will/how will you play?
« Reply #120 on: 15 Dec 2011, 03:59 »

So it sounds like "THE rp server" of SWTOR is going to be like Argent Dawn in WoW. A few decent RPers and a whole horde of horribad super 'speshul' snowflake vampirelichmageuberninjas. Well, translated into the SW universe anyway.

Luke Skywalker1234 and Hanz Zo1o reporting for duty?

On the more serious side: from time to time i was thinking of trying this out but more or less decided not to. a number of reports from friends betaing it made me decide its not for me.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2011, 06:23 by Kaldor Mintat »

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #121 on: 15 Dec 2011, 06:19 »

So it sounds like "THE rp server" of SWTOR is going to be like Argent Dawn in WoW. A few decent RPers and a whole horde of horribad super 'speshul' snowflake vampirelichmageuberninjas. Well, translated into the SW universe anyway.

I don't think that was ever a point of contention. Welcome to RP with 13 year olds. It's not all that engaging.

I personally don't think the PvP vs non-PvP rulesets really have that much to do with it. Plenty of speshul snowflake vampire/half-demon RPers on Defias Brotherhood (PvP) when I was there as well (and yes, I'm on Argent Dawn myself - not that I actually RP over there, but I do enjoy the ambiance).

And well, back to the actual topic, where I actually end up on will depend also on where my friends end up on, and who knows.. maybe open PvP will end up working better in SWTOR? I'm not vehemently opposed to the idea, I just rather quickly lost the idea that "PvP servers are the only real deal" (which I certainly had coming to WoW) after actually experiencing the game.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #122 on: 15 Dec 2011, 06:31 »

It's a matter of preference, is all. Immersion takes one helluva hit when suddenly your greatest enemy is powerless because you're in your 'own zone' or vice versa, not to mention takes every bit of challenge out of it if you're not under threat of hostiles when venturing out in the world.  PvE servers have this nasty tendency to squeeze all the actual need for any kind of reflexes or skill out of the game, is what I guess I'm trying to get at. Want to RP someone that's badass in any way? Well, you kind of have to prove it. I guess this goes over into the debate in another thread here in Backstage.

While there should be other ways to make an impact, these games only allow proving your mettle through PvP.

Anyway, I might make an alt on that server you mentioned, but I'll be coordinating with the old crew I RP'd with on PvP servers to find a decent RP-PvP server where RP can actually be backed up by action. It's kind of an important part of RP to me and some others.

(Note: Not saying urdoinitrong, just that there's a lot of different tastes when it comes to these things and frankly a lot of us consider PvE servers to be wussing out of 'real' RP as it were.)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #123 on: 15 Dec 2011, 07:00 »

Yesterday, I had a conversation with a friend of mine who has early access and if his claims are to be believed (I do) there is in effect only ONE RP-PVP server at this point that is flagged for english speaking players, rest is russian, french, german etc.

Obviously it's going to be my first choice, and once I get a hold of said friend I'll ask him again what it was called because I can't remember right now... :bash:

At any rate, I'm hoping to get alot of action on that server because I could not bare to be able to chose to be safe anywhere or whatnot by flipping on/off an option called 'PVP'. PVP is not a freaking 'option' when your in the middle of an intergalactic war and I expect and WANT to have to watch myself, and for my enemies to watch their asses, when out in the field.

I got enough of PVE servers after watcing hordlings stroll by like they owned the place back in Ashenvale. In any kind of 'realistic' scenario Kaldorei warriors would never allow that, but due to game mechanics, I have to... *sigh*

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #124 on: 15 Dec 2011, 08:04 »

Yesterday, I had a conversation with a friend of mine who has early access and if his claims are to be believed (I do) there is in effect only ONE RP-PVP server at this point that is flagged for english speaking players, rest is russian, french, german etc.

Obviously it's going to be my first choice, and once I get a hold of said friend I'll ask him again what it was called because I can't remember right now... :bash:

At any rate, I'm hoping to get alot of action on that server because I could not bare to be able to chose to be safe anywhere or whatnot by flipping on/off an option called 'PVP'. PVP is not a freaking 'option' when your in the middle of an intergalactic war and I expect and WANT to have to watch myself, and for my enemies to watch their asses, when out in the field.

I got enough of PVE servers after watcing hordlings stroll by like they owned the place back in Ashenvale. In any kind of 'realistic' scenario Kaldorei warriors would never allow that, but due to game mechanics, I have to... *sigh*

Too fucking right. And when the Kaldorei went fucking about in the Barrens, we bloody expected to get Horde hunters on our ass. It's what made the entire world alive and exciting.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #125 on: 15 Dec 2011, 08:39 »

I was under the impression there'd be no RP-PvP servers (which would've been odd, but not unprecedented). Well, I hope they toss me an Early Access invite soon, so I can go have a look-see myself...

On the topic of 'immersion' and 'realism', I hear what you are saying. However, I don't really believe in the world as presented in WoW on that level anyway. It just... doesn't work. I dunno, I make a pretty big distinction in this between sandboxes and theme parks. I actually think the theme park sort of breaks down if you allow uncontrolled PvP, because the things you'll be able to do tend to be equally 'immersion/realism' breaking in this context. It's not a matter of e-honor or anything, just a matter of game mechanics to me.

I would give an arm and a leg for a proper fantasy sandbox with a proper, working world/simulation, but the industry is set to spout out the same kind of crap because (they think) it is the only thing that sells. It's not my ultimate preference, but the games manage to be enjoyable nevertheless and thus, I'm heading to SWTOR to check it out.

I really hope that PvP planet is going to end up being in some way interesting. That'd mean Blizzard would prolly have to copy it to WoW, too. WG/TB just doesn't cut it, they're just timed BGs embedded into the world to me.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2011, 08:48 by GoGo Yubari »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #126 on: 15 Dec 2011, 09:03 »

I was under the impression there'd be no RP-PvP servers (which would've been odd, but not unprecedented). Well, I hope they toss me an Early Access invite soon, so I can go have a look-see myself...

As I understood it there were only RP, PVP and PVE servers at some point, but they decided to add RP-PVP servers a bit later due to very popular demand. According to my friends the only RP-PVP server based on english as a language so far is "Lord Calypho" - I'll be joining this one as soon as I can, even if they are very likeloy to open up more english RP-PVP servers later on.

Also in other news SW:TOR has allready crushed WoW in numbers - it's not fully out yet and still well over 12 million people have signed on or purchased copies.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #127 on: 15 Dec 2011, 09:07 »

I'm actually a proponent of a single RP-PvP server. The problem with WoW is that it was horribly crappy monitored by the GMs. Even the few RP server rulesets there were, never got enforced. That led to most RP-PvP servers to have a 5% RPer population and 95% troll/lolkid population. So with one single RP-PvP server it should allow GMs to respond to issues and get rid of the lolkids as they appear.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #128 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:10 »

Well, for those that choose RP-PVP servers, I would be interested to know if there are really a lot more pvp enabled areas than on PVE-RP servers.

Oh, and I find it just ridiculous either to see people aggroing each other in pvp just because they have a "republic/empire" tag above the head. That is just ludicrous, how do you tell that someone is your enemy if wearing common not factionned clothes ?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #129 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:18 »

"Strong is the Dark Side in this one... GANK TEH BITCH!"

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #130 on: 15 Dec 2011, 16:03 »

Also in other news SW:TOR has allready crushed WoW in numbers - it's not fully out yet and still well over 12 million people have signed on or purchased copies.

Blatant lies. I should have figured the highly impressive numbers were born from miss-information - I somehow managed to mistake "The launch numbers of The Old Republic has crushed those of WoW with ease" to somehow mean WoW in thier zenith has been trumphed allready. It's quite a long way to go still, though I don't expect it will take as long as WoW did.

The actual numbers iirc, are something akin to 1.1 million copies purchased so far, can't recall if it was only those in America or including Europe and other places in that tally.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #131 on: 16 Dec 2011, 18:44 »

Well, Miz is now a level 10 Sith Inquisitor on the only RP-PvP server in Europe. Definitely a fun game so far. Will have to see how it holds up once I'm past the initial class mission stuff and get to start exploring and dying everywhere.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #132 on: 17 Dec 2011, 19:12 »

I got a level 10 Bounty Hunter over there right now.

Still too much to see to make any final conclusions. Some good, some bad. It is definitely a "WoW-clone" (and some of the class design shows that a bit too blatantly too...), but it has a somewhat different feel regardless. Unfortunately, the polish of WoW isn't there and while some of it will get better in time, I'm not entirely sold on all the graphics, animations, level design, general comfortability of design, etc (that said, it is still a lot more polished in this way than other MMOs which have come out in near history). Also, I have a lot to say about the quests, but I'm withholding comments until I experience a few more classes and go farther in the game.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2011, 19:22 by GoGo Yubari »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #133 on: 17 Dec 2011, 19:31 »

16 now and definitely enjoying myself. As far as Avatar driven MMOs go... this is the best one I've played so far. I -definitely- enjoy waiting for people to ask me about crafting, since I can then sniff and go "Crafting? Peasant... I have people for that kind of thing." The companion/crew bit seems quite decent and it's all pretty much the good stuff from WoW without as much of the derpery.

Loving the Inquisitor classquests and definitely loving the sheer amount of nasty you can dish out as Dark Side. Gameplay wise, Inquisitor is a lot of fun. Especially the Assassin specialization. Stealth, tons of double-bladed Lightsaber damage and dear sweet jesus I have more electric death to offer than the gathered Tesla Coils of the world. Kind of plays as a WoW Rogue if Rogues had Doctor Insano's "SCIENCE!" skills.

I also like the quests. Even among the sidequests (non-class quests) there's none of the WoW "Keel ate snow moose" quests. Those things are relegated all the way down to the bonuses underneath the sidequests. (Bonus quests are basically just things you discover while doing side/class quests. Like "Kill 24 of these. Destroy three of those." and so on.) If you ignore them, all you lose is a little xp and it's frankly kind of hard not to fulfill them by accident while doing the side/classquests.

One thing I definitely like are the Flashpoints. Well, the one I've tried so far anyway. I think they're the SWTOR version of Instances/Dungeons. They are told as stories and it's basically the awesome of a singleplayer game storytelling/action/progression while having a MMO group for the combat, making the whole greater than the sum of it's parts as it were.

During conversations with NPCs, you choose your own response and there's a conversation roll. The one who wins gives the response and it's rather fair. I've gotten my fair share of responses and it seems nicely balanced. When there's a Light or Dark Side choice in the response options, the one who wins the roll performs the action, but everyone who chose that option gets the Dark/Light side points. It's rather nice.

The game mostly just needs a bit of polish but so far it's the most painless MMO launch I've ever seen. Well, even though there's two days left until the launch. Only found one bug so far and it's not really affecting me beyond making me waste an extra two seconds per resource node.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #134 on: 17 Dec 2011, 19:54 »

A few things I've noticed so far, nothing conclusive from my end either;

PVP - My biggest grip with PVP is that it appears anyone from level 10 orwhateverisminimumlvlforpvp to max level of 50 can end up in the same battle. There is no segregation of levels like it was in WoW, 10-15, 15-20 etc etc. That balance things out a bit and makes it harder to get entierly overwhelmed by a completely superior character.

The 'fix' to this is to boost a toon's stats to the level of the highest level enemy player. A lvl 42 Sith Warrior enters, my lvl 12 Jedi Sentinel get's boosted from 1884 HP to 12546 HP's. That compensates, right? No it don't. I've barely started on the Sentinel path, at level 12 my skills are few and low compared to the 42 level Sith with his way more and far more powerful abilities - his crowd control nearly allways hits, if his don't his friend's ability will. All my attacks hit a wall of higher resists and cutting into a 30-40 something foe is CONSIDERABLY different from attacking a level 14 or so enemy who's barely over my level.

Let's not even start on the difference in gear and equipment.

Second part is the idea of the 'wow-clone'. It's undeniable that many aspects of WoW's gameplay is to be found in TOR, mostly this is for the better however. I see so much of WoW's gameplay that worked in use here, and this lends a flavor of old familarity to the game. (This will be good or bad depending on who is asked.)  On the other hand much of what blew up in WoW's face is noticably lacking. Item level, Achievement whoring, rampant pet collection, auto-instance/raid finder across servers etc.

Most if not all the factors that eventually degraded wow into what it is now seem to be lacking.

Lastly is the duality of the 'alignment' system - it's possible to get gear based on it - in fact if you go light you get a good selection of light side exclusive gear and vice versa. I don't know if any of the gear available from one is superior to the other but I do know that if you go for one your denied the other. There is no middle ground so this force you to aim for A or B, to much fidling get's to conflicting score and in mid-to-end-game it seems you need high score one way or another to get access to some of the best gear. Trying to follow a borderline toon or one with a specific viewpoint (say, a rough trooper who is merciless, cold and effective (much dark points) but humane and caring to his/her cause and faction (more light points)) can easily land you to few of either points to have access to hig-end stuff denying you high-end gear. This hurts immersion, among other things, especially as some of the choices asks you to be either stupidly naive or nice or needlessly cruel or in-humane for the hell of it.

As an example, I'vetaken my trooper to level 11 so far, got off the origin world and so on, and some of the choices made simply did not make sense - this person's record, if I had gone 100% goody-goody for instance, would include a number of order-violations and out-right unacceptable stupidity. Only dark options were not much better.

*edited to fix typos and add some to the end*

« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2011, 20:05 by BloodBird »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10