Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ushra'Khan is the oldest active alliance in New Eden.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: SWTOR: Will/how will you play?  (Read 17621 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: SWTOR: Will/how will you play?
« Reply #105 on: 15 Nov 2011, 13:33 »

However, what we -don't- know is whether or not the GM Corp and so on will be willing to lay the smackdown on the RP-PvP servers (if there is such a thing) to allow people some semblance of immersion.

At the moment they say that pvp-rp servers (and pve-rp servers too) are RP only by name. And rp-pvp servers have only been added and confirmed recently, as they were reluctant to add them in the first place.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #106 on: 15 Nov 2011, 14:12 »

In that case, we might be looking at a WoW situation where the community makes the game shit after a while. We'll have to wait and see.

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #107 on: 28 Nov 2011, 06:11 »

Worth giving this a prod, what with there just having been an open beta weekend...

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #108 on: 28 Nov 2011, 06:29 »

Heard this was another 1-9 numkeys MMO.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #109 on: 28 Nov 2011, 08:52 »

I played SWG from beta through the CU, NGE, and for about 2 years after, until I came to EVE in 2008. After seeing how solid SWG was, especially before the great cleansing that was the NGE, SWTOR seems like a fluffy eye candy POS to attract kids... much like what SWG turned into, minus the parts that stayed decent like, i dunno, actually having to purchase/craft equipment?

SWTOR looks like a steaming LA turd from what I have seen and heard... will keep praying for an Elder Scrolls MMO i suppose, and stick in EVE in the meantime.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #110 on: 28 Nov 2011, 10:10 »

I will agree that as an MMO, its nothing great.  Played Beta (and can now talk about it) and its is a very pretty world, very Star Wars, but also a WoW clone from what I know of Wow.  It was also very laggy, though that might be my machine and ISP, and fight do boil down to chaining attacks, though one of one fights do look pretty awesome with your avatar blocking attacks.  To bad that most fights are you verses the mob. 

But on the other hand, I will say that if you liked KOTOR or Mass Effect, and just found yourself wishing on some parts that you could have a real person instead of your companions' AI, then this is for you.  I say that it fails at being a good MMO because it is not an MMO, more like an MORPG (Multi-player online RPG).  If you ever liked those chose your own adventure books, or Star Wars, or both, I think you could have a fun time for a few months.  I think it would have been better if they just called it KOTOR 3 and cut out the MMO part of the ads, and just billed it as something more along the lines of Halo, you and a couple of friends writing your own story.  Which leads to a whole 'nother rant about how game companies think everything has to be MMO these days (even Mass Effect 3, I mean come on).  MMOs are nice and some do quite well, but they are not the answer for everything.

And I think I will shut up here since I'm sick and I have less and less idea of what I am saying.  And I haven't even had drugs yet. 

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #111 on: 28 Nov 2011, 12:29 »

I played, had fun.

It comes across like KOTOR spliced with the staples of the non-sandbox MMO genre. Not for everyone, but a well-made game with its own little sub-niche.

The term "WoW clone" is rather meaningless however. Would you describe Fallout 3 as an Oblivion clone? Or EVE as a Microsoft Excel clone? If so, derpity derp good for you but you're not really saying anything about the game except that it's not revolutionary within its genre.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #112 on: 01 Dec 2011, 15:28 »

I found nothing in SWTOr to make me want to pay money per month for it. I didn't think World of Warcraft had anything, and frankly... the game looks visually like a WoW clone. Storyline or not, I'm not interested in playing SWTOR when it makes me feel like I'm playing WoW.

That's it.

No big debate like Miz vs. Graelyn.

It just isn't worth my wallet.

I still have high hopes for Guild Wars 2.

Kemekk

• Amarrian Ultranationalist
  • Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #113 on: 02 Dec 2011, 03:32 »

I was a beta tester for TOR for a few weekends. It was a good game, but it didn't really feel like an MMO. It felt like KOTOR with some slight multiplayer interaction, which makes it a good game in its own, but is it worth a monthly sub? I doubt it, but we'll see how it goes.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #114 on: 14 Dec 2011, 04:56 »

For those who preordered, the mails were started to be send to people yesterday.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #115 on: 14 Dec 2011, 15:06 »

PLEASE OBI WAN EVE ONLINE COME TO THE PROGENITOR SERVER

YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE

So, yeah, I hear "The Progenitor" is gonna be "the RP server" on the EU-side. Join us and together we will yadda yadda. That's where I'm going to check this game out.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2011, 15:10 by GoGo Yubari »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #116 on: 14 Dec 2011, 15:42 »

YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE

So, yeah, I hear "The Progenitor" is gonna be "the RP server" on the EU-side. Join us and together we will yadda yadda. That's where I'm going to check this game out.

Is it PvP enabled? If it's just PvE(RP) it'll kind of suck if WoW's PvE(RP) servers are any indication. Too many carebears and uberflowery Lord/Lady Entheluaethystdreamsorcerersageawesomedude people who couldn't actually RP their way out of a paper bag. Besides, trust me when I say Avatar-driven MMOs lose all immersion when people start hiding behind PvE Ruleset mechanics.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #117 on: 14 Dec 2011, 19:19 »

YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE

Is it PvP enabled? If it's just PvE(RP) it'll kind of suck if WoW's PvE(RP) servers are any indication. Too many carebears and uberflowery Lord/Lady Entheluaethystdreamsorcerersageawesomedude people who couldn't actually RP their way out of a paper bag. Besides, trust me when I say Avatar-driven MMOs lose all immersion when people start hiding behind PvE Ruleset mechanics.

It's not PvP and I'm well versed in PvE rulesets, mostly because I have played and still play WoW on a PvE server. When I started that game, I immediately hopped on a PvP server because.. well, because I'm supposed to be this awesome PvP bad-ass, right?

Now that was a mistake, in my mind. Eve is a great sandbox PvP game. WoW is a terrible sandbox PvP game. What it amounts to is pointless griefing, ... and trust me, I occasionally like my griefing (usually with a point), but I think the PvP ruleset is not a good tack-on to WoW's essentially non PvP based gameplay. At least, until they make proper world PvP ... which will never happen because WoW is WoW, not Eve Online. I take my PvP in WoW on the arenas/BGs, where it is actually competitive and interesting.

So yeah, since SWTOR is in essence WoW in space (yes, I know you disagree....), I'm not holding out hope that PvP servers contain any meaningful world PvP at all. Oh, except that there's supposed to be this world PvP planet.. but I'm assuming it will work just so on PvE servers as well (that is unconfirmed, though).

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #118 on: 14 Dec 2011, 19:31 »

Not to derail, but once upon a time in WoW there was world PvP, but that was before battlegrounds existed. Ah, Arathi Highlands.  :cry:
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #119 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:59 »

Well, I never did mention anything about 'Sandbox PvP Game'. The only decent RP I've gotten in WoW was on PvP servers, so it's simply a matter of different experiences. Besides, what Misan said is pretty much true. World PvP was definitely fun once upon a time. Leveling through Stranglethorn Vale, Arathi Highlands and so on. EPL and WPL for higher level PvP. Was great stuff.

BGs were never really any good for PvP beyond crowdrushing for honor/ranks.

So it sounds like "THE rp server" of SWTOR is going to be like Argent Dawn in WoW. A few decent RPers and a whole horde of horribad super 'speshul' snowflake vampirelichmageuberninjas. Well, translated into the SW universe anyway.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10