Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Crystal Boulevard' of Caille is both a high end shopping center and a vast shield of manufactured diamond for bunkers underneath?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Northern Regional Sebiestor  (Read 3103 times)

Kiki Truzhari

• Dirty little space witch
  • Wetgraver
  • No Light! No Light!
Re: Northern Regional Sebiestor
« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2012, 12:33 »

those are pretty excellent ideas Lou, I'll see about coming up with words for them
Prohasar man opre pirende - sa muro djiben semas opre chengende

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: Northern Regional Sebiestor
« Reply #16 on: 28 Mar 2012, 16:29 »

Word relating to a person's position in a tribe. example: "I am only a (word), it is not my place to say things"

I've tended to phrase this in other ways: "I am not an elder|an aunt|marked to be a chieftain". I think this might depend on how you see particular tribes and sub-tribes working.

Word meaning something to do with the overall well-being of the tribe. example: "This is a matter of (word)"

Hmmm. "Kinfrith" is what comes to mind: literally "kin-peace". There might be something that's more to do with flourishing than necessarily with peace, although kin-strife is generally a bad thing.

Word relating to a tribal laws/morals/justice tribunaly thing. example: "I call for a (word)." "I was summoned to a (word)"

Depending on the nature of the judgement sought, and the ways you warp the base languages, possibly radmoot, thing, or doom-saying. Possibly also "I call on <the elders|the name of the lowest line-chieftain responsible for both parties> to hear our dispute and give judgement".

By the way, Mata uses "gathering" or even "festival" when talking about her sub-tribe's gathering of the clans every few years. For that, her translator does an adequate job.

Word relating to an object that has acquired some great significance beyond it's normal purpose, that cannot be described. example: "this thing, this is (word)"

Trying to describe that which cannot be described is generally considered tricky. ;) I'd start with "modwyn" for a kind of very special "heart's joy" and work from there depending on the nature of the significance the object has gained. Some sort of "gersim" for "treasure" might work metaphorically, too.

Mata's sub-tribe has some terms of its own that I've found useful:

"Kena": a war-band or project group of people from different clans (or tribes) who are bound together for a specific purpose. The bond might continue until a certain undertaking is completed, or longer than that. It's the term Mata's taken from her sub-tribe's dialect to describe podder corporations. "Kin and kena" is a phrase that encapsulates Matari social bonds and the conflicts there can be between those bonds.

"Pera" is "beloved", specifically a companion bound only by affection, rather than contract or clan alliance.
Pages: 1 [2]