Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In YC110 Mixed Metaphor corporation declared war to stop distribution of the NHB Ultra Happy Chip™? It didn't work out.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Am I the only one who doesn’t want to interact with alts?  (Read 8550 times)

Jace

• Veteran

I obviously have no problem with alts.

When I left I had twelve active characters. Some used for RP, some purely for division of OOC skills. Some for no good reason. Most were known by whoever was curious, but I always kept at least one character unaffiliated with myself so I could be left the frack alone when I wanted to be. Or so I could partake in casual/superficial RP without any history, baggage, or preconceptions getting in the way - but primarily for hiding while still playing.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

I always kept at least one character unaffiliated with myself so I could be left the frack alone when I wanted to be. Or so I could partake in casual/superficial RP without any history, baggage, or preconceptions getting in the way - but primarily for hiding while still playing.

This. Is. So. Useful. :cube:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

Heh, I forgot to add that when you have had 2 accounts in the past, and merged them together, you tend to keep your second character as an alt instead of biomassing it because... well. 20M sp and all.

Charles Cambridge Schmidt

• Professional Sperg
  • Wetgraver
  • Federalista

I'm of the mindset that Alts are primarily un... categorizable?

Ava/Kyllsa are fun to interact with and I generally have good feelings come from that one. Another is someone who has a male/female version of the same character; a nearly identical genetic structure, but two different people. Arista's alt (the only one I'm aware of, at least) varies so differently from Arista that interacting with him feels as if there's someone else behind the seat, making it an enjoyable experience.

I don't like to name names, for the most part. However, there's one specific person who has a horde of RP alts who will bombard the IGS with this same-family mob and clog traffic RPing with themselves. That's the kind of stuff that really bugs me. That, and the alts who are insisted on being taken seriously but their only purpose is for repping the Main's reputation or for something dinky and silly. You don't see an EOH character trying to be relevant in the Summit often, really.

Also, I second the notion of having an alt nobody knows about. Who knows: maybe Charles is the alt.

[spoiler]Spooky.[/spoiler]
Drones are pretty cool, I guess.

V. Gesakaarin

I only have alts though.

Jace

• Veteran

The other thing that the no-alt folks may not think of is, well, your character may be boring us at this point. Some characters never seem to change and interact the same way for years on end. Or you cannot RP with them without dealing with all their past drama and history because they are trying to keep those stories going forever. It gets boring after a while. It is like eating the same thing for every meal forever.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

The other thing that the no-alt folks may not think of is, well, your character may be boring us at this point. Some characters never seem to change and interact the same way for years on end. Or you cannot RP with them without dealing with all their past drama and history because they are trying to keep those stories going forever. It gets boring after a while. It is like eating the same thing for every meal forever.

That's why I had Elmund Egivand diversify his activities in his drive to be as self-reliant as possible. It allows for character growth. Different experiences provides different insights to develop the character. I also do not attach Elmund Egivand to any of the four empires because, far as I am concerned, this is going to hamstring him and force him to fit the mould in some way. Instead, I let him be a freelancer of sorts so he has a lot of wriggle room to explore and occasionally fraternise with 'the enemy' if it means he might learn something from them.

Doesn't mean he won't be biased against somebody or thoroughly find some persons unpalatable and to be avoided like the plague, or shot on sight. Sometimes both. People like Diana Kim (he can be well-mannered with her and still hide a handgun that has a bullet with her name on it in his cargo pants) or Nauplius (shoot him! Shoot him again!), for example, because he found them despicable and too narrow minded to learn anything from.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2014, 20:13 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Dessau

However, there's one specific person who has a horde of RP alts who will bombard the IGS with this same-family mob and clog traffic RPing with themselves.

There's a specific thread that comes to mind when you mention this. Your avatar says it all.

The other thing that the no-alt folks may not think of is, well, your character may be boring us at this point. Some characters never seem to change and interact the same way for years on end. Or you cannot RP with them without dealing with all their past drama and history because they are trying to keep those stories going forever.

That baggage can be a huge hurdle for new interactions as well as old. Within the context of the New Eden narrative maybe it makes sense to have all these burned bridges as a capsuleer, but unless characters are willing to go Fred Rodgers (blue ALL the pilots!) they'll find that there's very little reason to try to generate content outside of stereotypical capsuleer ISKlust (never not shooting Nauplius).

Which brings me back to your original point about alts: sometimes, within that same context, alts are the low-effort means of getting something ~interesting~ going with established characters carrying that baggage. It's one thing if those characters are one-trick ponies, but further still, if those players don't want to interact with alts, well...

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain

Arista's alt (the only one I'm aware of, at least) varies so differently from Arista that interacting with him feels as if there's someone else behind the seat, making it an enjoyable experience.

<3 Jared.  He's fun to play.  Maybe when I'm un-poorified again I can resub his account.

the funny is he coincidentally has the same affectation as CC (which is that absent rubbing the back of his neck when thinking, confused, or trying to phrase something correctly), and always has.

Must be a Gallente thing :gangsign:

Jace

• Veteran

Arista's alt (the only one I'm aware of, at least) varies so differently from Arista that interacting with him feels as if there's someone else behind the seat, making it an enjoyable experience.

<3 Jared.  He's fun to play.  Maybe when I'm un-poorified again I can resub his account.

the funny is he coincidentally has the same affectation as CC (which is that absent rubbing the back of his neck when thinking, confused, or trying to phrase something correctly), and always has.

Must be a Gallente thing :gangsign:

I just wanted to throw in a props for Jared. One of my alts had some pretty good RP with him back in the day. Alt on alt RP, 'twas good.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain

Yusssss I remember that was that insanity of my playing both chars in the same room in totally diffrent sceanrios :D

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

you know you're doing alts right, when you have one, who some players dislike intensely, while having another, who those players simply adore.

The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain

I have an alt (Kyllsa) who everyone knows is me, who I play more than Ava now.I hope people dont mind? =(

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

I have an alt (Kyllsa) who everyone knows is me, who I play more than Ava now.I hope people dont mind? =(

Both characters are distinct enough to be treated as separate characters. Well, in my opinion anyway. It's the sock-puppet type alts I have issues with.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

Both characters are distinct enough to be treated as separate characters. Well, in my opinion anyway. It's the sock-puppet type alts I have issues with.

As I said: All alts are not equal. I love Kyllsa and Avlynka, both in their own, unique way. ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4