Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that hovercraft are common vehicles on stations? (p. 88)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: game mechanics and rp involving them  (Read 9469 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: game mechanics and rp involving them
« Reply #60 on: 27 Oct 2014, 21:58 »

the mirc bot would be cool as fuck.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #61 on: 27 Oct 2014, 22:00 »

I just have to be that asshat that pipes in about how difficult Star Trek RP actually is. I 100% realize you were just using it as an example, and for that it was effective - but sheezus, the contradictions between shows and the arguments over what is considered canon actually makes it a bitch of a universe to RP in.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #62 on: 27 Oct 2014, 22:37 »

I just have to be that asshat that pipes in about how difficult Star Trek RP actually is. I 100% realize you were just using it as an example, and for that it was effective - but sheezus, the contradictions between shows and the arguments over what is considered canon actually makes it a bitch of a universe to RP in.

I can see that.

"Your Vulcan is freaking out! Vulcans are logical, they wouldn't act that way!"

"They would too! Pon Phar!"

"No! Pon Phar only takes place within ten light years of the Vulcan home planet!"

"Not true! Remember when Spock was crying on the planet of the Ancient Romans?"

"That doesn't count! He was under hypnosis!"

Maybe the problem is 'human nature'.

'Bang Bang! I shot you! You are dead!'

'Nuh uh! You didn't shoot me!"

I remember the 'rule book lawyers' back in the day of paper and dice Dungeons and Dragons roleplaying. These players would argue at every turn that their characters/ the monsters/ the rock formations of caverns of Chaos wouldn't 'really' do those things, because of reasons X, Y, and Z. The only game mechanics at the time were the dice and the rulebooks. If you didn't like what happened to your character, well, maybe there was something in the rulebooks to get you out of it.

Roleplay in EVE is a different kettle of fish, since my character can do something you don't agree with, and it only affects you if you acknowledge it. In 1PG, we had a policy of "Only those of pure Amarrian blood, or Ni-Kunni or Khanid ancestry may join." I took this to mean "Space Nazis", which for me, was a fast track to mustache twirling villainry.

One member of our corp started roleplaying as having a Gallente father, and the rest of the corp just....pretended she never said that.

I suppose it could have made for an interesting sub-plot, examining the in-game racist hiring policies of an Amarrian loyalist corporation. On the other hand, it just seemed like 'work' and 'drama' in the chat channels. There was no reward or risk involved, and it was something which distracted from the main objective, which was the almost entirely mechanical aspects of Factional warfare.

It's also hard to roleplay as a villain when you fly solo and suck at combat.
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #63 on: 28 Oct 2014, 00:47 »

It's also hard to roleplay as a villain when you fly solo and suck at combat.
I know, right?

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #64 on: 28 Oct 2014, 05:51 »

Hard to roleplay as a hero when you fly solo and are fairly good at it, too. No worries.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #65 on: 28 Oct 2014, 06:29 »

Hard to roleplay as a hero when you fly solo and are fairly good at it, too. No worries.

Which is why I play as neither.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #66 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:31 »

To be honest, it is hard to role-play a hero or a villain or anyone of note at all in EVE. Roleplaying a person is easy, but roleplaying a person that people need to actually care about is much much harder.

Personally, I have the problem that I personally prefer solo these days (frig and dessie fights solo are massive stress dumps for me, which I need right now), but Gaven as a character really should be taking charge of things and running fleets (Which is fun, but a stressor, which I can't have right now). It makes for a semi-nasty contrast between IC desires and OOC ability to commit time/energy to a character. Means that Gaven, somewhat out of character, is going and playing the lone hero a *lot.* I end up working some of that absurd bravado that my solo fighting style has into his character, to try and move Gaven more towards how I actually operate in game, but it has never quite fit. 

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #67 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:21 »

The primary problem with having a character that others need to care about is that, well, they don't. And the players take great pleasure in demonstrating that continually.

Granted, that is a bit different for the CEO of an active corp. But in all other circumstances, it is quite a barrier.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #68 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:05 »

Even for a CEO, if you try to force people in EVE to care about you without having a ridiculous amount of muscle to back it up, you end up causing people to ignore you instead. Even with muscle, you have to have an ability to apply that muscle to hurt them if you want to force them to pay attention.

Hence it is usually better not to explicitly play heroes or villains in my experience, but rather to play individuals with specific goals and motivations. The motivation to be a hero is a totally valid one IC, as is the fear that you might in fact be a villain, but the only way to really be a hero or villain in EVE is if other people acclaim you as such. IE, you are only either in relation to other character's reactions to you. And since you can't control those reactions, it is easier just to pick positions and stances and roll with what follows.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #69 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:41 »

And even for muscle, there is very little of consequence you can actually do to someone in EVE. It is one of those games where the acquired egos never, ever match up with actual influence.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #70 on: 28 Oct 2014, 12:05 »

To be honest, it is hard to role-play a hero or a villain or anyone of note at all in EVE. Roleplaying a person is easy, but roleplaying a person that people need to actually care about is much much harder.

Personally, I have the problem that I personally prefer solo these days (frig and dessie fights solo are massive stress dumps for me, which I need right now), but Gaven as a character really should be taking charge of things and running fleets (Which is fun, but a stressor, which I can't have right now). It makes for a semi-nasty contrast between IC desires and OOC ability to commit time/energy to a character. Means that Gaven, somewhat out of character, is going and playing the lone hero a *lot.* I end up working some of that absurd bravado that my solo fighting style has into his character, to try and move Gaven more towards how I actually operate in game, but it has never quite fit.

Mark Hammil said that being the star in Star Wars was kind of like being the raisin in a fruit salad. The characters were all upstaged by the background. The spaceships, weapons and robots were the real stars.

EVE is a little like that too, except we are a little more like the single raisin that someone dropped somewhere in the middle of a field while watching fireworks, and now winter has come and covered the all the fields under deep snow.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #71 on: 28 Oct 2014, 12:08 »

I think ash. Snow is pretty, at least.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #72 on: 28 Oct 2014, 12:12 »

Volcanic ash then.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #73 on: 28 Oct 2014, 12:15 »

Volcanic ash then.

Nu. Pipe ash from a giant bearded lady emptying her pipe. Yus.

Dessau

« Reply #74 on: 24 Nov 2014, 13:51 »

Crossposted from Mizhara's IC/OOC thread, since a new thread seemed unnecessary:

It's an interesting debate for future discussin', IC in game actions.

Talking about in general  x character selling slaves due to needin' isk, is it the kind of thing to be hand-waved?

I think it can go both waves.  Say they were freed, get the cash because it was a lot of money, got no issues with that.

I debated about a similar issue when Slow Burn first began. The objective was to stymie Roden ship construction, and since we cannot control existing alliance manufacturing apparati, our only viable target was the public market. In addition to the other steps to make building Roden ships less profitable, we also purchased 47 Roden blueprints available on contract over the first 10 days, then trashed them. I wondered at the time if I should create a video capture in case I needed to prove that they were destroyed, but opted to let only in-game actions and speech determine the veracity of my claim.

I still wonder if I made the wrong choice, since I might have been able to handwave away a video capture of inventory destruction as SOP for 'Hangar Administration' personnel or somesuch.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]