Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders have grandmothers? (The Burning Life)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Where have all the Slavers gone? (Woe is Me)  (Read 23167 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Where have all the Slavers gone? (Woe is Me)
« Reply #45 on: 17 Mar 2012, 10:30 »

Also with this cresthill thing, if you talk about your RP alt in your own thread ( https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=955588#post955588) and talk about interactions you've had, does that strike anyone else as a bit weird? Perhaps no more weird than RP in general I suppose, but kind of crosses some line for me. I'd feel like RP alts are just fine but maybe should play in different ends of the pool.

Or do the exact opposite, make sure the RP alts are tight as hell. When there's no question of them being connected and on the same agenda, there's no strawman stuff, no "who are you actually loyal to" stuff and so on and so forth. Having one on each side of the pool kind of begs the questions of loyalty, infiltration (benign or otherwise) and so on.
Ah, I meant other side of the pool as in 'it's a big galaxy out there' and they'd never have need to meet or interact, etc.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #46 on: 17 Mar 2012, 10:46 »

I agree, in principle. It's just hard to ensure that they never do interact, since that can easily turn into a problematic situation.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #47 on: 17 Mar 2012, 11:45 »

Also with this cresthill thing, if you talk about your RP alt in your own thread ( https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=955588#post955588) and talk about interactions you've had, does that strike anyone else as a bit weird? Perhaps no more weird than RP in general I suppose, but kind of crosses some line for me. I'd feel like RP alts are just fine but maybe should play in different ends of the pool.

While this would make an interesting thread in its own right, I agree.

When I still played, I had no issue whatsoever with RP alts -- on the condition that they're either inextricably linked or as distant as you can possibly get. Mixing it can very quickly lead to strawman style characters, or the impression that you make a character simply to try and "show off" how much better one faction is than another. Whether you intend it to look like that is a different matter; I've seen instances of it happening both by design and by accident. Ultimately, whether it's on purpose or not doesn't tend to change that it is a Bad Thing.

When they're both so far apart as to never meet, this is just as avoided as when the two are definitely on the same side. Even if some twist of circumstance starts edging them closer, there's always the possibility of sidestepping their interaction with some excuse or another. RP alts can widen the scope of potential interaction and so on drastically, but they become vastly less engaging when they're just applied as strawmen or one-use-only dramallamas.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #48 on: 17 Mar 2012, 17:11 »

While this would make an interesting thread in its own right, I agree.

When I still played, I had no issue whatsoever with RP alts -- on the condition that they're either inextricably linked or as distant as you can possibly get. Mixing it can very quickly lead to strawman style characters, or the impression that you make a character simply to try and "show off" how much better one faction is than another. Whether you intend it to look like that is a different matter; I've seen instances of it happening both by design and by accident. Ultimately, whether it's on purpose or not doesn't tend to change that it is a Bad Thing.

When they're both so far apart as to never meet, this is just as avoided as when the two are definitely on the same side. Even if some twist of circumstance starts edging them closer, there's always the possibility of sidestepping their interaction with some excuse or another. RP alts can widen the scope of potential interaction and so on drastically, but they become vastly less engaging when they're just applied as strawmen or one-use-only dramallamas.

Very well said.

We all have our little things that bother us of course and I'm just as guilty of some occasionally hackneyed mustache twirling. But rolling an Amarr alt that's gung-ho slaver and then having him find the light and run off to join your emancipating matari alt is just 'meh' to me. But I'm going to take my own advice and if I don't like it, not to interact. Best of luck to him

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #49 on: 17 Mar 2012, 17:21 »

To be honest, i have noticed this too, and have tried to "step back" from being too friendly in character to try and NOT be part of "hold hands and dance" RP. RL morality does influence my decisions a lot ICly. Ill try to back off from that.

Does Ava have Amarrian friends? Yep.

Does she want a peaceful end to the war? Yep. She also dosent see it actually happening.

Does she put needs of Clan/Tribe/Corp/Militia ahead of those desires? Yep.

Its hard to be the "good guy" (Which i also try to avoid) without "bad guys". The reclaiming aspect has been lost among people who 1) just want slaves "cause its business" or 2) are just sadists.

Ill do my part to be more heathenish and savage. I promise!

That being said, whoever's alt came in the Summit last night and zeroed in on me... kudos. Keep it up!

Desiderya

« Reply #50 on: 18 Mar 2012, 10:09 »

I've noticed this in general. People seem to have trouble playing their role 'against' someone they like OOCly, which leads to all this happy-family RP, where characters who do stick consequently to their beliefs ( and antipathies ) are frowned upon.
Obviously, no one wants to have a channel like the summit degrade into smacktalk heaven, and lots of the hot topics have indeed been discussed hundreds of times. But that shouldn't lead to agreeing to disagree, then sharing a sandwhich?

I let Des have a go at some characters regularily, but never because I dislike the players OOCly. If I do dislike someone, I simply don't play/interact with them.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 18 Mar 2012, 11:19 »

Here's my take on being friends with everyone in EVE.

Good friends are good, good enemies are great.   Good friends in EVE will make you log on and chat, while good enemies in EVE will make you log on and undock.

I pick my RP enemies much, much more carefully than my RP friends, because they will have a greater impact on my game overall.  In short, theyre often more important.

Do I like them OOC? Undoubtedly.  Thats why I want to play this game against them.  Its like poker, its more fun when playing against your friends.   

EVE, at its best, should be about conflict and competition.  Generally, the people who try to be friends with everyone in the game IC often find their way out of the game, for lack of anything to do.  Theres a reason for that.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #52 on: 18 Mar 2012, 11:40 »

Tsch, I've had people disliking/hating me OOC when all I've ever done is interact with them IC. Requires two to tango, I suppose

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #53 on: 19 Mar 2012, 05:28 »

Which reminds me, just about every honorary mention or a nod from the Empire to PIE was from that exact Chancellor... which kind of taints the whole service to the Empire bit doesn't it?

The amount of praise we've received from people who aren't Karsoth is probably greater than the praise received by any other loyalist corp.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #54 on: 19 Mar 2012, 05:32 »

Here's my take on being friends with everyone in EVE.

Good friends are good, good enemies are great.   Good friends in EVE will make you log on and chat, while good enemies in EVE will make you log on and undock.

I pick my RP enemies much, much more carefully than my RP friends, because they will have a greater impact on my game overall.  In short, theyre often more important.

Do I like them OOC? Undoubtedly.  Thats why I want to play this game against them.  Its like poker, its more fun when playing against your friends.   

EVE, at its best, should be about conflict and competition.  Generally, the people who try to be friends with everyone in the game IC often find their way out of the game, for lack of anything to do.  Theres a reason for that.

That's good advice.

Kiki Truzhari

• Dirty little space witch
  • Wetgraver
  • No Light! No Light!
« Reply #55 on: 19 Mar 2012, 07:08 »

Tsch, I've had people disliking/hating me OOC when all I've ever done is interact with them IC. Requires two to tango, I suppose

I think part of the reason for that is that Seriphyn comes across, to me, his supposed ally, as hypocritical, overly judgemental (more so then the amarrians in some cases) and generally kind of a douchy guy. There's of course nothing wrong with him being that way, it just makes it hard for the suppose allies to agree with him when he's being annoying like that, and the way he comes across, people often interpret as an attack on the way the roleplay. Like him being really judgemental of the genemodders, sure, its probably just an IC bias and you don't actually have a problem with them, since they are canon and all, but it comes across as 'your RP is invalid and I'm going to judge you for it'

I try very hard to keep Kikia on moderately pleasant terms with Seriphyn, since he's in a friendly militia, but you don't make it easy.
Prohasar man opre pirende - sa muro djiben semas opre chengende

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #56 on: 19 Mar 2012, 08:51 »

Nonsense! Inhonores is the height of civility and decorum, at least in all my IC interactions ;)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #57 on: 19 Mar 2012, 10:57 »

Hey... so if/when I come back and ressurect KotMC into a not-so-nice doom squad, who wants to be my arch nemeses?

* Aldrith Shutaq gives Ava and her band the look.
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2012, 13:32 by Aldrith Shutaq »

Kiki Truzhari

• Dirty little space witch
  • Wetgraver
  • No Light! No Light!
« Reply #58 on: 19 Mar 2012, 10:59 »

Hey... so if/when I come back and russrect KotMC into a not-so-nice doom squad, who wants to be my arch nemeses?

* Aldrith Shutaq gives Ava and her band the look.

ooh ooh, pick me! pick me!
Prohasar man opre pirende - sa muro djiben semas opre chengende

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #59 on: 19 Mar 2012, 11:45 »

Leeroying off topic, Aldrith, there are currently three minmatar militia RP alliance. Electus Matari, White-Lotus, formed a few days ago by Huang Yinglong and us (Teraa Matar) and Defiant Legacy, formed a few days ago by Murientor Tribe and The Wings of Maak. So now we have Moderates (W-L), hardcore tribalists (DL) and EM somewhere in the middle. Yay.  :D

So really you can take your pick.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14