Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Re-Awakened Technologies Inc is a Minmatar Republic loyalist corporation? Read more here

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Gaza Invasion Part 600: The invasioning.  (Read 20342 times)

Vikarion

Re: Gaza Invasion Part 600: The invasioning.
« Reply #150 on: 05 Aug 2014, 07:48 »

I also doubt that in a scenario in which the U.S was no longer as energy dependent on all that Saudi oil there would be much care if Israel were to push the the current populace of Gaza and the West Bank into the Sinai and Jordan.

The U.S. is a net energy exporter. We aren't all that dependent on Saudi oil.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #151 on: 05 Aug 2014, 08:04 »

I also doubt that in a scenario in which the U.S was no longer as energy dependent on all that Saudi oil there would be much care if Israel were to push the the current populace of Gaza and the West Bank into the Sinai and Jordan.

The U.S. is a net energy exporter. We aren't all that dependent on Saudi oil.

True, but China isn't and a "stable" cost per barrel of oil is important to the world economy :(

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #152 on: 05 Aug 2014, 08:28 »

Well econ 101; it's cheap. If it were all from the US it would be expensive.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Lyn Farel

« Reply #153 on: 05 Aug 2014, 09:37 »

Whereas 1 dead Israeli civilian means 10 less, amirite?

Huh ?

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #154 on: 05 Aug 2014, 10:33 »

Too intolerable to walk away still.

A detailed discussion of the situation on the young turks, an American internet talk show.

Desiderya

« Reply #155 on: 05 Aug 2014, 11:50 »

Whereas 1 dead Israeli civilian means 10 less, amirite?

Huh ?
Mh?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #156 on: 05 Aug 2014, 12:17 »

The EU's position of abstaining was because the EU doesn't want some EU members condemning one side, while other s condemn the other side, because they want a united EU stance.

Which means the Scottish Government calling for arms embargos is a big mis-step from them.

But, they've already decided that there is to be no place in an independent Scotland for the Scottish Jews, that being pro-Hamas, and giving money to the Muslim Brotherhood, will win more votes from Scottish Muslims than will be lost from the Scottish Jews, so the rent-a-mobs that protest against Israeli artists will continue.

Super.
\o/

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #157 on: 05 Aug 2014, 12:39 »

An Indian TV channel just released footage of Hamas militants (in civilian clothes, no less) setting up and firing a rocket from a lot directly adjacent to the hotel which was being used as a safe zone for journalists.

Gotta admit, I am impressed by the guts of the cameraman and the reporter here: Not only do they continue filming as the militants are setting up the rocket, but they proceed outside afterward in an attempt to examine the launch site. That's either very gutsy, very dumb, or both.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #158 on: 05 Aug 2014, 14:00 »

nevermind
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2014, 14:04 by Lyn Farel »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #159 on: 05 Aug 2014, 14:02 »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the UN camps and shelters are not aware when such an obvious stuff is happening just right next to their building.

What can the UN agencies actually do, if/when militants are launching rockets adjacent to UN facilities ? Politely ask them not to do so ?
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #160 on: 05 Aug 2014, 14:05 »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the UN camps and shelters are not aware when such an obvious stuff is happening just right next to their building.

What can the UN agencies actually do, if/when militants are launching rockets adjacent to UN facilities ? Politely ask them not to do so ?

Like calling dozen of times the IDF that there were no hamas militants nearby ? That would be rather disingenuous of the UN to say all clear when it's not, no ?

Nuke us guys ! Come on ! Nuke us !

Bleh, it's not much different from stuff like Kosovo. Except we don't send anything because it's Israel.  :roll:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #161 on: 05 Aug 2014, 14:26 »

An Indian TV channel just released footage of Hamas militants (in civilian clothes, no less) setting up and firing a rocket from a lot directly adjacent to the hotel which was being used as a safe zone for journalists.

I thought the air-dropped guided bombs and directed artillery/etc are often touted as extremely precise?

IE can't they blow up the 'adjacent lot' and not the UN area/hospital/school/whatever?

The Pentagon has been calling Israel out for killing unduly high levels of civilians.

The Pentagon, mind you.  We've killed many, many more civilians than Israel over the last few wars, so if the Pentagon is calling you out for indiscriminate killing, you done fucked up at an egregiously high level.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #162 on: 05 Aug 2014, 14:51 »

I thought the air-dropped guided bombs and directed artillery/etc are often touted as extremely precise?

IE can't they blow up the 'adjacent lot' and not the UN area/hospital/school/whatever?

For a medium guided bomb like the GBU-39 SDB, CEP is approximately 5-8m. For a lighter, more accurate weapon like the AGM-65, CEP is way own to 1.5m.

The problem is the whole "blow up" part. In an open-air environment like that, even presuming a perfect direct hit on the launcher, the blast wave is not going to suddenly stop at the edge of the lot and refuse to extend over to the hotel. Even if the immediately lethal radius from blast effects is relatively small (I cannot say I know the AGM-65's lethal radius, unfortunately) then there is still a risk of injury from the blast wave beyond that, and even further out if your room happens to have large glass windows (as the hotel does). This is why the bombs are often fused to go off inside when your target is an urban building - the walls will absorb some of the blast, drastically lowering the lethal radius.

tl;dr - the bomb may be accurate, but that doesn't mean they were out of danger in that particular situation.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #163 on: 05 Aug 2014, 14:58 »

When they use stuff like white phosphorus, flechettes and fragmentation sub ammunition, and when we see the results of "pin pointing", it's as to wonder if they think the whole world are retards.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #164 on: 05 Aug 2014, 15:24 »

tl;dr - the bomb may be accurate, but that doesn't mean they were out of danger in that particular situation.

tl;dr - Hamas have zero problem using civilians as meatshields to try and dissuade retaliatory or pre-emptive strikes. Unfortunately (and simultaneously fortunately) for them, it doesn't seem Israel has too many fucks to give on that count.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12