Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the expansion name "Incarna" was Stitcher's winning entry in an E-ON magazine competition?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why do the Caldari want Caldari Prime so much?  (Read 2502 times)

Vincent Pryce

Re: Why do the Caldari want Caldari Prime so much?
« Reply #15 on: 13 Feb 2013, 07:55 »

I do wonder how much is actually left of that heritage the Caldari fight for.

First of all it got pretty much glassed 150 years ago by orbital bombardment, causing some major damage. It was repopulated by Gallente citizens in the years to follow. I imagine a good deal of what made the homeworld Caldari is long gone, replaced by Gallente culture. After the destruction of Nouvelle Rouvenor and ramming a carrier down on Luminaire I don't think culture preservation was too high on the list for the Federation or it's citizen. It was after all time where orbital bombardment of Caldari Prime was deemed as the suitable course of action as well as the exile of the anti-war Intaki that would later become the Intaki Syndicate.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #16 on: 13 Feb 2013, 07:58 »

That's the point, Vincent, at least as Malcolm sees it. The heritage would be completely lost by now if the Caldari weren't fighting to hold on to it. They're a very traditional people, their traditions and ancestry give them identity and purpose. Caldari Prime is the beacon of where their civilization began, starting with the raging wars between the Deteis and the Civire and eventually their union, then to their advancement as a people and their evenetual taking to the stars (which yes, the Federation helped there).

If we consider the sheer amount of time the Caldari spent on Caldari Prime, it's a huge amount of time. We get attached to our homes even after just a few years - imagine centuries or even millenia. The traditions and identity borne from that time is what the Caldari are fighting to uphold and if they stop fighting, they lose it. Caldari Prime is a symbol of everything they fight for.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #17 on: 13 Feb 2013, 08:39 »

I do wonder how much is actually left of that heritage the Caldari fight for.

First of all it got pretty much glassed 150 years ago by orbital bombardment, causing some major damage. It was repopulated by Gallente citizens in the years to follow. I imagine a good deal of what made the homeworld Caldari is long gone, replaced by Gallente culture. After the destruction of Nouvelle Rouvenor and ramming a carrier down on Luminaire I don't think culture preservation was too high on the list for the Federation or it's citizen. It was after all time where orbital bombardment of Caldari Prime was deemed as the suitable course of action as well as the exile of the anti-war Intaki that would later become the Intaki Syndicate.

I find it a bit funny that your 404th post is a little in error.  :D

The orbital bombardment was not deemed a "suitable course of action" as such by the Fed at large, but by a government that was at the time nearly universally despised, and that one-day "warning bombardment" :roll: got nearly every high-ranking member condemned, among other things, for "attempted genocide".

Anyhow, after the war left the planet and spread into space and the evacuation of the world was done, your right that most of the original culture was likely lost. While there still was plenty of Caldari around to keep up traditions there were in time far more non-Caldari on the world, and their various cultures likely influenced the remaining Caldari, save for perhaps a few die-hard traditionalists that kept things going just like in the old days. How vibrant this was when the Cadlari annexed the world is up for debate, I don't think there is any PF piece or anything detailing that, so we don't honestly know.

On the other hand there are reputedly many other worlds in the Fed that have a majority or only Caldari nations on them, I imagine these keep their traditions going strong. Ofc, the State-born Caldari likely write anything these people have to say off as worthless. I find that a little ironic, considering that the whole State can be described as a Federation-born bastard-child of Gallentean ideas and means and Caldari ethics and methods. After all, the whole concept of a corporation was provided to the Caldari by the Gallente and many of the cornerstones on the State's ideals are influenced by this. One can argue that the entire Caldari Culture such as it was before the Gallente arrived has been lost a long time ago.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2013, 09:12 »

[...]considering that the whole State can be described as a Federation-born bastard-child of Gallentean ideas and means and Caldari ethics and methods. After all, the whole concept of a corporation was provided to the Caldari by the Gallente and many of the cornerstones on the State's ideals are influenced by this. One can argue that the entire Caldari Culture such as it was before the Gallente arrived has been lost a long time ago.

Shhhhh....you'll upset the neighbors. >8(
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Vikarion

« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2013, 10:55 »

The orbital bombardment was not deemed a "suitable course of action" as such by the Fed at large, but by a government that was at the time nearly universally despised, and that one-day "warning bombardment" :roll: got nearly every high-ranking member condemned, among other things, for "attempted genocide".

The devs have stated that they want the perception of genocide to be a valid one, specifically, they want it to be ambiguous as to whether the Gallente were trying to punish the Caldari, or just to wipe them out. This came up in a recent argument in the fiction section of the eve online forums.

I find that a little ironic, considering that the whole State can be described as a Federation-born bastard-child of Gallentean ideas and means and Caldari ethics and methods. After all, the whole concept of a corporation was provided to the Caldari by the Gallente and many of the cornerstones on the State's ideals are influenced by this. One can argue that the entire Caldari Culture such as it was before the Gallente arrived has been lost a long time ago.

The whole concept of the corporation was not introduced by the Gallente, but rather encouraged by contact with them. For example, Perkone existed before the Gallente arrived on Caldari Prime. Evelopedia (official articles), and the chronicles also make it clear that most Caldari values are drawn from referencing the old Raata empire (in the same way, perhaps, that many of ours are drawn from ancient Greece and Rome) and their experiences during the war. For example, the Caldari used to put more importance on races, whereas the experiences of the war and evacuation have largely rendered those irrelevant to most Caldari (see Caldari Bloodlines).

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2013, 18:43 »

...Perkone existed before the Gallente arrived on Caldari Prime...

Really? I had the impression from PF that the first ever Caldari corp was created long after first contact, and was directly influenced by Gallente ideas. It was evene name-dropped (the first Caldari corp) but I can't recall what it was named...

Vikarion

« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2013, 19:07 »

Really? I had the impression from PF that the first ever Caldari corp was created long after first contact, and was directly influenced by Gallente ideas. It was evene name-dropped (the first Caldari corp) but I can't recall what it was named...

Read the Perkone info text in-game.

Korona

• Friendly Neighborhood Cultist
  • Clonejack
« Reply #22 on: 13 Feb 2013, 19:11 »

Both right to some degree.
The Caldari had developed the idea of a corporation independently from the Gallente, and  Perkone existed prior to First Contact as a corporation. However, after First Contact, the Gallente Cultural Deliverance Society brought a lot of social advances and more extensive ideas of corporate capitalism to the Caldari, one of which was the concept of a Megacorporation, which the Caldari readily adapted to their own culture. (You, BB, are thinking of Isuuaya, which was the Caldari's first Mega and established after G/C contact.)

"EoM is an anagram of emo for a reason, dude."

Gesakaarin

« Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2013, 00:22 »

Whilst according to the timeline Isuuaya is named as the first Caldari corporation, I think where it differed fundamentally from a corporation like Perkone is down to the fact that Perkone was a company whereas Isuuaya was a limited-liability company with shareholders not actually involved in the running of the business. The difference might be small, but it probably affects Caldari corporate culture to this day where you might have Megas such as Wiyrkomi or Hyasyoda operating under a "Perkone" model (Family owned and run, traditional values, deeply employee focused, conservative) contrasted with Sukuuvestaa or Kaalakiota operating under a "Isuuya" model (Maximized efficiency on shareholder return, ruthless competition, market expansion/dominance, risk-taking to create profit).

Or perhaps I make no sense.

As for Caldari Prime, it's a symbol for Caldari much more than just a ball of dirt, however just what that symbol means no doubt differs greatly.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 14 Feb 2013, 10:24 »

Ges, I like it.  ;)

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #25 on: 14 Feb 2013, 11:57 »

There's a 1953 short story http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Liberation_of_Earth (wiki link) that sums up the likely state of Caldari Prime after all of this.

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #26 on: 14 Feb 2013, 13:20 »

There's a 1953 short story http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Liberation_of_Earth (wiki link) that sums up the likely state of Caldari Prime after all of this.

Gonna give this one a read.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #27 on: 14 Feb 2013, 13:25 »

There were some important cultural sites still existing on Caldari Prime, after the 1st Gallente-Caldari war.

Then the Templar Dragonaurs dressed up as Gallente and urinated on them and such, to provoke rioting and create a casus belli. I believe most of the sites were destroyed in this chain of events.

In answer to the original question of: "Why do the Caldari want Caldari Prime so much?"

At this point, it looks a lot like: "To deny it to the Gallente."
\o/

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb 2013, 14:38 »

There's also the slight complication that while public opinion might have been more or less best summed as "would be cool, but meh" before the planet changed hands, after the fact - which, by the way, was accepted at least by the President of the Federation IIRC - the public opinion probably swayed towards "never again".
Pages: 1 [2]