Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Blood Raider elites do not generally mix with the rest of the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 50)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: All time, Top 5 Political Figures  (Read 3672 times)

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
All time, Top 5 Political Figures
« on: 22 Nov 2010, 05:20 »

All right, colleagues,

I would be interested to see people's all time political heroes. For my choices I did not necessarily select people that had an ideology close to mine (though some do) or perfect, saintly figures (Gandhi, Mandela - though feel free to select these people) but figures that I admired either politically, morally or functionally.

There is some capacity to make this a trollthread (Posting on the virtues of Hitler or something) but try to keep it mature.

All right.

5) Napoleon Bonaparte-

Pros -Tried to unite Europe and establish an egalitarian state. His policies on racial relations were way ahead of their time. British history demonised him somewhat, but modern revisionist history has suggested that the world would probably have been better off if Napoleon had succeeded.

Cons -Some questionable actions, Megalomania

4) Franklin Delano Roosevelt -

I didn't want to pick too many WWII leaders, because there'll be a bunch, but this guy deserves it for the New Deal alone. America's greatest President? (/ducks 'Reagan missiles')

3) Gaius Marius - Roman Reformer. Tried to peel power away from the Optimates and give it to the people. Met the eventual fate of all Roman reformers (death)

2) Mustafa Kemal Ataturk -

I think it's surprising that more people don't know about this guy, but he's one of the most amazing figures of the 20th Century. A genius with a personality and vision of such power. Turkey was lucky to have him. Probably the most objectively 'great' figure of the 20th Century in my humble opinion.

1) John Curtin -

Australia's Greatest Prime Minister. Look him up.

*Honourable mentions: EG Whitlam, Thomas Jefferson, Eamon de Valera, Constantine, Paul Keating, Giuseppe Garibaldi............ so many.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
Re: All time, Top 5 Political Figures
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2010, 16:06 »

5) John Locke - Helped advance the idea of the "social contract." (Short definition: people give up sovereignty to a government or other authority in order to receive or maintain social order through the rule of law. It can also be thought of as an agreement by the governed on a set of rules by which they are governed.)

4) David Hume - Ripped apart the idea of the social contract and stated that it was through force that government's were forged.

3) Machiavelli - I was assigned to read "The Prince" four times in as many years as political science student in college. And yes, it is that influential, whether people realize it or not.

2) Che Guevara - I know it's hip to have a Che T-shirt, but I think there is an important lesson to be learned from his failures in the Congo and Bolivia. Using violence in revolution is quite literally playing with fire.

1) Thomas Jefferson — The voice of the Declaration of Independence and an insightful political philosopher.

Honorable mentions: Subcomandante Marcos, Vinayak Damodar Savarkar and Thomas Paine.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2010, 16:34 »

5) Adolf Hitler, the perfect model for future generations to be on watch against.  Not a hero, don't get that wrong, but an extremely important lesson.

4) Justinian I, pauper to prince and reconquistador of the Western Empire.  What a story!

3) John F. Kennedy, for navigating the Cuban Missile Crisis and setting the policy that made us an interplanetary species for the first time.

2) Thomas Jefferson, the once and future king.

1) Abraham Lincoln, for playing fucking heroic politics.

[/American perspective]

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2010, 17:49 »

I'll just list them.

5. Otto von Bismarck
4. Abraham Lincoln
3. Franklin Delano Roosevelt
2. René Descartes (he wasn't a politician but still)
1. Nelson Mandela

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2010, 21:21 »

Mammal, your allegiances are revealed: Curtin, Gough and Keating  ;)

Vlad Cetes

• Rick Rollermeister
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2010, 21:25 »

I won't list them in order:
Alexander the Great
Adolf Hitler
Genghis Khan
Timur

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2010, 21:58 »

Mammal, your allegiances are revealed: Curtin, Gough and Keating  ;)

:D

I like that people have chosen different things. I went with leaders rather than political philosophers, but this is great stuff.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2010, 22:53 »

I won't list them in order:
Alexander the Great
Adolf Hitler
Genghis Khan
Timur

someone's a brute irl

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2010, 23:44 »

OK, rather than just observe Mammal's political persuasion (... although, as Mammal rightly pointed out, correlation does not equal causation) I shall present my own list.

1. Winston Churchill - really smart guy. And managing to do all of that drunk makes him even smarter.
2. Kublai Khan - Gengis's grandson. Often forgotten. He was pivotal (arguably) in laying the foundations that made China what it is today.
3. Ramesses II - The most significant pharaoh. Now that man knew how to get shit DONE! The Greeks called him Ozymandias.
4. Vladimir Putin - you show me another politician who can shoot tigers, ride a horse shirtless, and be judo-thrown by a 9 year old girl, and I'll eat my hat!

and... since no one else has done this as a joke yet...
5. Tibus Heth.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:53 »

Hmm... well in my opinion those would be:
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk - yea i know him a bit, he achieved very much.
Vladimir Putin - i also think he is a interesting person, a KGB agent that became president...
Charles de Gaulle - not the best politician to but he rebuilt France as a power...

Need to look for two more, no one comes to my mind...

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2010, 09:23 »

5. Antonio de Oliveira Salazar

4. Pierre Trudeau

3. Harry S. Truman

2. Pope John Paul II

1. Ghengis Khan

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2010, 09:34 »

Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (he went on to become Prime Minister, so I'm including him here even though he did fail at politics  ;) ). 

Tony Benn

The Tolpuddle Martyrs

Clement Atlee

Robin Cook

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:29 »

How about Maleatu Shakor or Heideran VII?

Tiberius Wenchel

• Media Mogul
  • Clonejack
  • soi soi soi
    • Redshift Media on Youtube
« Reply #13 on: 05 Jan 2011, 03:18 »

Siddhartha Gautama - Most people think of Gautama Buddha as a spiritual leader, but his political impact was and still is massive. He started life at the top of the Vedic caste system, but he left that life of privilege behind to fight against the system that allowed it.

Jesus of Nazareth - Like Siddartha Gautama, Jesus did much to upset the balance of power in his own region. His spiritual teachings were a strong political force for equality and ideological self-sufficiency. He arguably did more than any other individual to bring about the fall of Rome.

Jean Jaques Rousseau - He was responsible for the idea of government as a social contract in Western political philosophy. His works were a guiding force behind the French and American revolutions respectively.

Mohandas Gandhi - There never was a truer anarchist. Sadly, we have already lost sight of who this man was and what he represented.

Claude Levi-Strauss - Strauss brought the concept of structuralism to anthropology, effectively putting the "savage" on the same level as white folks in terms of culture. His ideas served to morally delegitimize Western imperial expansion and the exploitation of foreign cultures.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 06 Jan 2011, 12:32 »

I'm going to focus on political figures in the relatively modern era (ie, 30 years war and forward) to simplify things, as its hard to really measure the impact of most political figures dating back millenia or even several hundred years.  Some are undeniable (Jesus, Caesar, etc etc), but in terms of shaping the modern global system and the various political systems that exist as a part of it, they have marginal impact in comparison to many of the ones below, and/or were influences on the ones below but were no directly involved.  

Some of those below were not politicians by profession, but public servants or philosophers that had very clear impact on political systems as we know them now.  All are western figures, and the list in general is very western-centric, but not only am I weaker on my knowledge of the political history of the east (not to say I know nothing, just not nearly as much, and most of what I know is from the last 150 years), to a large degree western influences have had more impact on the global system than anything to come out of the east in the last 500 years, at least looking at it from a global perspective or that of various nations.  Several billion people living in China and India will strongly disagree with me, however.

Cardinal Richelieu - Centralized political power in France, moving away from the feudal system and setting the stage for the rest of Europe to do the same.  Planted the seeds of sovereign nation-states and international law.  He is a very controversial figure, but his impact on modern politics and the formation of the modern political system is undeniable.

Jean Monnet - Behind-the-scenes guy who was a main architect of the ECSC (European Coal and Steel Community).  Was originally formed as a way to put an end to the tensions between European powers that had led to two global wars in the previous 30 years, by forcing the antagonists to depend on each other economically and thus tying their success together.  Was a precursor to the EU, and set the stage for dozens of other economically integrated groups across the globe; MERCOSUR; ECOWAS; ASEAN; NAFTA;  just to name a few of the dozens.  Revolutionized international politics in a way that many still don't quite acknowledge or appreciate.

Immanuel Kant - His work Perpetual Peace: A Philosophical Sketch written back in 1795 laid out the rough ideas that later went into the creation of the League of Nations (failed attempt) and later the United Nations.  The formation of the LoN in particular represented a sea change in international politics from the last several hundred years in a direction that it had never really taken before.  

Montesquieu - He compiled knowledge and ideas on the separation of powers in a government.  While this is a concept dating back to ancient Greece, his work brought it into the limelight in the modern era.  Every successful democracy has checks and balances built into the system.  Those that have weak checks and balances or don't have them at all inevitably fall back into some sort of quasi-authoritarian or full-blown authoritarian system (see also; Russia under Putin).

Thomas Jefferson - Perhaps an Amero-centric point of view, but I feel that the American Revolution set the stage for dozens of other countries around the world and throughout the history of the last few hundred years.  The eventual result of the revolution and political system that evolved from it has been a major influence in political systems literally on every continent on the globe, and ideas such as inalienable human rights and republicanism (not to be confused with the Grand Old Party--I'm talking about republic as a model of government) have had undeniable impact on the lives of billions.  Many of our founding fathers had roles to play in these ideas and their implementation, but arguably Jefferson was the father of the founding fathers and his ideas shaped the movement more than any other.  
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2011, 12:40 by Bacchanalian »
Pages: [1] 2