Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a lone miner was detained and executed on 29.11YC105 for "suspicious curiosity" after asking passing Imperial Fleet ships "where they were going with all those guns".

Author Topic: Re: We Got 'em  (Read 958 times)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: We Got 'em
« on: 10 Jun 2011, 20:23 »

Yes, law enforcement is still pretty misguided in their understanding of the internet. That's really to be expected, compared to a group of 20 year olds who've had lifetimes of experience with the internet, and even they won't know everything.

But for anyone to suggest that the culprits of a hacking attempt should just be regarded as "inconsequential" is fucking absurd.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2011, 21:11 by Ciarente »
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
Re: Re:
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2011, 04:24 »

Aaaah, justice.

I *HATE* hackers. Sad, useless human waste who think they can't be touched and that this give them the right and ability to do as they please. Load up random PC's with viruses, hack private info, steal money over the net, spam random shit like unwanted adds trojans and crap about, make people's lives annoying, because they can. Worst kinds of griefers I know of. I've more respect for bank-robbers, atl they show up and rik their asses for the supposed gains, these guys?

I hope they rot well and long.  don't perticularely like Sony but I've little against them either, so this... No sympathy for these scum. None what-so-ever.

Wow, lots of hatred here  :psyccp:

To be honest to you Blood Bird, I hate people who spew so much hatred towards anyone, especially in regards to how they think others should be punished. There are laws and judges who apply these laws, no need for vigilantism.  :|

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2011, 08:46 »

Aaaah, justice.

I *HATE* hackers. Sad, useless human waste who think they can't be touched and that this give them the right and ability to do as they please. Load up random PC's with viruses, hack private info, steal money over the net, spam random shit like unwanted adds trojans and crap about, make people's lives annoying, because they can. Worst kinds of griefers I know of. I've more respect for bank-robbers, atl they show up and rik their asses for the supposed gains, these guys?

I hope they rot well and long.  don't perticularely like Sony but I've little against them either, so this... No sympathy for these scum. None what-so-ever.

Sounds like someone had their CC details in Sony's databaaaase.

On a more serious note, you need to distinguish between 'Hacktivism', Actual Cyber-Crime, and people just in it for the lulz. 'Hacktivism' shut down some rather nasty schemes here in the UK (ACS Law, anyone?) Whilst I find Anonymous annoying a lot of the time, a Denial of Service Attack here and a leak there, can actually have positive implications for the general populace.

The lines tend to blur between the three. The Sony hack is a good example of this. However, don't lump all three groups together as a target for hate. More often than not, it comes down to the intentions of the people doing it, not the actual results. Don't lump all three together as a target for hate n' rage. The people who Ddos'ed mastercard to make a point are probably not the same people throwing Trojans all over the Internet.

Also lol@thinking Anonymous have 'leadership' of any sort.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2011, 09:21 »

Aaaah, justice.

Wow, lots of hatred here  :psyccp:

To be honest to you Blood Bird, I hate people who spew so much hatred towards anyone, especially in regards to how they think others should be punished. There are laws and judges who apply these laws, no need for vigilantism.  :|

That's Bloodbird, in one go, to you. Laerise, I've had my MSN stolen from me twice. I've had my PC infected with high-grade viruses 3 times, two of those managed to completely kill all info on the drive - first stuff I use alot, then the not-so-ofthen used tuff, then the rest in decending order. In the end, the drives were dead and in one case I could not even start my PC. One of these attacks killed a laptop. I've had key-loggers try to steal my EVE accounts 5 times, one of those came through and I had to dish out 5 billion to some guy to get my own property back.

So forgive me for being somewhat biased. If someone who, by all accounts believe it's perfectly fine to fuck others over, for watever reason or no reason at all - think they are safe and sound behind internet anonymity and still get cought, I'll be happy they are gone.

I don't give a damn how old they are, who they are, where they are from, or exactly what prison they rot in, what I do care for is celebrating if they are taken and found guilty and sentenced.

Hackers disgust me. I could separate between white-hat and black-hat but these people are - so far - the latter. If they are found ot be innocent of the charges, good for them. If not, I won't shed a tear, and that's a fact.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2011, 12:06 »

That's Bloodbird, in one go, to you.
Very well then. If you think you have to drop down a level to prove a point, be my guest.

Laerise, I've had my MSN stolen from me twice. I've had my PC infected with high-grade viruses 3 times, two of those managed to completely kill all info on the drive - first stuff I use alot, then the not-so-ofthen used tuff, then the rest in decending order. In the end, the drives were dead and in one case I could not even start my PC. One of these attacks killed a laptop. I've had key-loggers try to steal my EVE accounts 5 times, one of those came through and I had to dish out 5 billion to some guy to get my own property back.

If someone tries to coerce you into giving them money by illegal means you call the police. If someone tries to coerce isk out of you by illegal means you call QA. Giving those who try to pressure you into doing something what they want only makes them more likely to repeat the offense.

So forgive me for being somewhat biased.

I find it hard to forgive someone who wishes harm to others.
If I forgave you easily for doing so I would encourage your behaviour, which I will not.
However, since I am good christian, forgiveness will always be an option for you - if you manage to change yourself for the better.

If someone who, by all accounts believe it's perfectly fine to fuck others over, for watever reason or no reason at all - think they are safe and sound behind internet anonymity and still get cought, I'll be happy they are gone.

Again, wishing others harm is bad, you should not do it - especially implying you would not mind their untimely death by whatever cause.
By the way, saying something along those lines makes you morally complicit with however -does- commit violence (phsyical or otherwise) against others. Maybe you should take a step back, take a deep breath and think about that Bloodbird.

I don't give a damn how old they are, who they are, where they are from, or exactly what prison they rot in, what I do care for is celebrating if they are taken and found guilty and sentenced.

Noone should "rot" in a prison anywhere. That is if by "rot" you mean they are to be sentenced to a life in jail.
I dare you to consider spending even 5 or 10 years (probably somewhere between 1/3rd to 1/4th of the total time you have been living) behind bars.

Hackers disgust me. I could separate between white-hat and black-hat but these people are - so far - the latter. If they are found ot be innocent of the charges, good for them. If not, I won't shed a tear, and that's a fact.

A fact that may be for you (for now), however, it does not mean I have to agree with you.

I do despise people who break the law and/or bring harm upon others. But vigilantism, be it in word or in action, does not help anyone. It is a very sad phenomenon of our times, and especially the anonymous internet, that many feel they can demand for some sort of crude medieval justice.
If you feel that your home countries laws do not protect you enough I suggest you either consider a political career or a change of residence, countries like Saudi-Arabia or Singapore (which both perform corporal and capital punishments by traditional means, for example beheading and caning) might be more to your liking.

Either way, I would much preferr it if you could start to more calmly state your opinion, preferrably without advocating violence and/or disproportional punishment.

Edit:

I forgot.

In general it is very easy to stay safe from the majority of malware floating around the net.
If you have trouble with malware I suggest you peruse various websites and forum posts on these matters by both it-security and white-hatters.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2011, 12:27 by Laerise [PIE] »

Crucifire

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2011, 12:28 »

Laerise just delved into the cavern of hate that I was afraid to tread. Bravo. As a side note, maybe you should excercise more caution with your online habits? Getting five keyloggers at five different instances sounds like more than just bad luck.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
Re: We Got 'em
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2011, 21:14 »

[mod]Posts catacombed for various breaches of rules, guidelines and board standards; and/or reporting to posts and then responding to them; and/ or responding to posts that have been moved.   [/mod]
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.