Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Eleutherian Guard, a capsuleer organisation, is a semi-independent paramilitary unit that answers to the Federal Security Council?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Sorry, where did the storyline go? [raegwarning]  (Read 8246 times)

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
Re: Sorry, where did the storyline go? [raegwarning]
« Reply #45 on: 16 Nov 2010, 15:07 »

I wonder if its possible to have a random mission generator so every mission you go into is never the same in terms of the amount of hostiles and ship types that are involved.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #46 on: 17 Nov 2010, 14:28 »

I think that it's fair to say that this topic is one of the main reasons I'm an ex-Eve player rather than a current subscriber. I see the failings with storyline development as part of a bigger problem with CCP's overall efforts. Much as I admire everything that has been achieved in Eve Online, and much as I have fond memories of it and the people I played with / against, the overwhelming feeling I have about it is one of mild disappointment at the way it developed. The early game showed a very strong vision and a huge amount of potential, but I think it has drifted away from that early vision and has failed to live up to its potential.

The background was a large part of the appeal, even if it was clichéd. It was a great set-up. The game mechanics should have built on those early foundations to provide more dynamic systems that would have supported emergent gameplay and all those other nice things you get when you give people a single-server sandbox. Actual storytelling would only have ever needed to be in a terse factual style or reporting on developments. Instead, every expansion has introduced some new grand idea that has never been finished and some easy-win shiny ships to distract the vocal PvPers.

The writers have been allowed too much free reign to pursue their own agendas and whims, and frankly, have bollocksed it up. Much that I have read over the years has been an obvious effort to shoehorn a story that someone wanted to write into the Eve setting with scant regard for that setting. The waters have been so successfully muddied that I doubt anything will ever be clear.

There was a time when I thought that there was an overall plan for the storyline / background elements. It's clear that there is nothing like a plan, however. People have been winging it from day one; making it up as they go along and hoping no one notices.

The players should have been writing the fiction and creating the history in any case. They largely have. People were hungry for more Eve chronicles, but that was because they were hungry for information; for the world to change; for something or someone to make a difference. I think that this clamour was misinterpreted as a desire for more fiction. we welcomed more fiction in any case, because at least it was something tangible. It showed that someone cared about something else other than another reskinned ships with amended stats in the database.

The gameworld should have been headed towards being dynamic from 2004. There was so much scope for using and progressing the existing tools: standings, system security status, docking rights, the market, trade goods, agents, corporate shares. Instead the world has been static with some grafted-on news reports and downtime changes to introduce a much-heralded feature that no one cares about any more. The official writers and content teams should have been marshalling and disseminating facts about the world, to support the dynamic world, rather than indulging their novelist aspirations.

I thought that one day I would log in to find that Pator was part of the Amarr Empire. Or that Rens was now a 0.4 system due to the ongoing pirate incursions there. I thought that the Amarr Empire would deny me docking rights at their stations due to my poor standings, meanwhile the docking fees at Caldari stations would skyrocket. I thought that I could live comfortably on the dividends paid out on my shares. I thought that I'd be able to check Lustrevik V and learn that it had four continental landmasses and its capital was Revikk, pop 15,898,387. I thought I'd see evidence of everyday life taking place around me: not dynamically spawned generic dungeons for the duration of someone's mission.

The expansion of CCP has diluted the core vision for the game. Original creators have moved to senior corporate positions, while new blood comes in and tried to make a mark. The result is that nothing is ever fully developed, least of all the storyline. The result is perpetual frustration for long-term players or a kind of grim resignation to perpetual shoddiness.

As much as anything, Eve has been great because it shines by comparison to its second-rate competitors. It could have been even greater though. Maybe Eve 2 will be the game some of us hoped for back in the day...
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #47 on: 18 Nov 2010, 04:23 »

Wanoah, you just said exactly what I think, and you said it better than I could have.

Grr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #48 on: 18 Nov 2010, 07:17 »

I'm currently unsubbed so I also agree with Wanoah to a point there but at the risk of sounding like a fan boy I think too often we blame CCP for creating a game that just doesn't live up to our own expectations.  Too often we also ignore the fact that doing something for years will eventually lead to plain and simple boredom and instead blame the apparent lack of interest on CCPs part to fix and develop the overall storyline as we'd want it.

I'm very curious about if the original writers and people who came up with the concepts are still with CCP and how they feel about how things are.  I know that if I had been one of those guys, I would be extremely proud of whats been done despite the issues.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #49 on: 18 Nov 2010, 07:20 »

CCP were artist and Eve was their canvas up until 2006.  Now they are business men and Eve is their product.   The only reason I still play is because I already have so much time and energy invested into the game and the community.  
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 07:22 by Hamish Grayson »

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #50 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:21 »

I'll join the choir and just say that I'm with Wanoah 100%.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:48 »

The conundrum is...

...whats the option?

As soon as something even resembling the depth of EVE comes around that does even a half arsed job of taking care of the background story and the world, I'm there. Until then I will be station spinning and being a bitter vet.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #52 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:09 »

I agree with Wanoah (not much of a surprise), especially this:

People were hungry for more Eve chronicles, but that was because they were hungry for information; for the world to change; for something or someone to make a difference. I think that this clamour was misinterpreted as a desire for more fiction. we welcomed more fiction in any case, because at least it was something tangible.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #53 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:38 »

I'm acutely aware that I have rolled up and posted something that sounds extremely negative, so I should probably say that I'm really not bitter at all: Eve is one of the best games I have played to date and I have a lot of fond memories of it. It's also been really hard to leave it in the past, as the occasional post here may testify. ^^ I'm honestly grateful to CCP for the experiences I had and lots of good work has been done.

Still, with the benefit of hindsight and a bit of distance, it's fairly clear to me that there have been an awful lot of missteps, misjudgements and oversights along the way. I know that is inevitable, but that doesn't stop me wondering what might have been. Even as they sleep in their beds made of gold with their mattresses stuffed with cash, those original founding members at CCP must have a few regrets at the missed opportunities for their baby...

I guess the real disappointment is that no one has given CCP a run for their money, opting instead for the illusion of safety that is making another WoW clone. MMOs have a finite life for most players: I strongly suspect that one reason for people to stay with Eve so long is that there isn't a comparable game to move on to.

Blog | Fiction

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #54 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:45 »

My response turned into a blog post. Upshot? Don't give up hope.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #55 on: 19 Nov 2010, 13:54 »

My response turned into a blog post. Upshot? Don't give up hope.

Yeah, there's always a chance that things will come together to produce something great. Gut feeling though, is that there needs to be a new broom with some solid ideas to impose some focus and structure on the team(s) involved. There's always a sense (at least from where I'm sitting) that there is a struggle to really get people moving in the same direction and make the most of individual talents when it comes to the storyline side of things.

Blog | Fiction
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]