Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Sabik's Sepsis is a blood disease that rarely lasts into adulthood, but is considered sacrilege when it does? (The Burning Life, pp. 20,21)

Author Topic: A race?  (Read 2124 times)

Djimbo Pakkat

• Clonejack
A race?
« on: 13 Nov 2014, 04:28 »

I won't give too much away, but I'm putting together some ideas for a race, as it looks now, it's pretty epic (if I do say so myself)

Thing is, I'm not sure on the logistics of setting one up, anyone exerienced in races or events like this... Could you please drop me a mail in game or a reply on here? It would be greatly appreciated.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
Re: A race?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2014, 05:01 »

Sounds pretty sweet. I have no experience in setting this kind of thing up, but I'd definitely be interested in sponsoring/participating/watching such an event.

Maybe livestream it?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2014, 05:18 »

It's difficult and asks for a lot of things :

- Heavily time consuming, just to set up every track.
- Asks for community managing qualities, as well as advertising your event.
- You will need a basic grasp of game mechanisms and gamedesign to set up a good idea which is fun to play and not too convoluted either (convolution is your worst enemy as it turns organization into a nightmare and allows for easier cheats and stuff like that).
- Be sure to know which hulls you allow, and if there are many with obvious discrepancies, maybe create different separate classes if you want people to still use them all.
- Don't hesitate to get help from other organizers. Doing all that solo is a daunghting amount of work.

Djimbo Pakkat

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2014, 05:30 »

Thanks for the quick responses. I have a theme in mind already, and it points to one particular ship class. But having different race classes sounds like an amazing idea.

My thoughts are to set a track, tried and tested by myself and one or two others. To make sure the race actually stays as a race I'm thinking of posting people at specific check points to check the racers through. Anyone not checked at each point will be disqualified.

Also, recording the race would be awesome, I would have a hard time doing it myself but maybe the people at checkpoints could have a part in that.

With regards to rules, I'm not planning on having many in place, I'm after a dirty smuggler's run type of thing. I suppose that might be giving too much away...

Karynn

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2014, 07:08 »

With regards to rules, I'm not planning on having many in place, I'm after a dirty smuggler's run type of thing. I suppose that might be giving too much away...

Oh yesss...
Count me in!

Quintrala

• Speed Fairy
  • Wetgraver
  • Summer is coming
    • Speed Fairy Blog
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2014, 07:08 »

A raaaaaace!

Oh this brings back memories... we used to do a lot of this back in the day. There were at least two regular racing leagues, the Sub-warp Racing Venture (SRV) which was all speed and manoeuvring in-system, and the Inter Stellar Racing Championship (ISGC, then ISRC) which was more of a rally across several systems.

Just FYI, here are the ISRC rules from years ago.

Whichever way you want to do it -rules or no rules or whatever,- if at any point ships have to, you know, turn, then logistics will come and bite. Track-building. You have to either set up some kind of flagpoles in space sooo precisely (for SRV) or anchor waypoints for people to touch and warp off (ISRC). We? We used to do this by anchoring containers; in some cases some may consider line judges and other stuff, especially for the start and the finish. Beware of dodgy clone-jumpers.

I am probably over-complicating this by now... anyhow, for SRV I would probably ask Julius Rigel and Che Biko; for ISRC it used to be Gyra Rho, and at some point in time Killjoy Tseng and myself organised some racing tracks years ago.

There, you are set ;)

Q

Djimbo Pakkat

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2014, 07:47 »

This is great! I was hoping for a good response. Actually thrilled this got some attention.

This particular race I'm planning is about system to system. I'll release a real press release with the theme and back story once I know more about setting this kind of thing up. I'll be contacting you guys in game to have a chat if that's okay, to get some more info.
If this goes well I'll see about setting some small races up with larger events down the line.

Thanks again for the replies, pratya yavati.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2014, 13:28 »

A raaaaaace!
I knew I would like you, Djimbo. 8)
For as far as my experience in the SRV can aid me in giving advise for a more ISRC-like race...it can be a dog, female, to find marshalls to monitor the way-/checkpoints. Keep that in mind.
Anyway, I hope you can create something nice on the race front, good luck.

Edit: also, join channel "Frigate Race", Julius has returned on an alt, I don't remember which, but he hangs around there, and would probably enjoy talking to you, and might be interested in assisting you.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2014, 13:32 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Quintrala

• Speed Fairy
  • Wetgraver
  • Summer is coming
    • Speed Fairy Blog
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2014, 18:27 »

For as far as my experience in the SRV can aid me in giving advise for a more ISRC-like race...it can be a dog, female, to find marshalls to monitor the way-/checkpoints. Keep that in mind.

Ah! I think one does need marshalls for SRV because they have to see you fly around the flagpoles...

... but in ISRC, we used secure audit log containers. They were filled them with stuff that was locked down; each racer had to open the can and attempt to take something, this would generate a corp log for ISRC with the exact time each racer was at each can. This way, there was a line judge at the starting line (to make sure no one undocks early) and at the finish dock line (no can); even better, one judge could do both with most tracks.

So, no marshalls, no problem. Now the logistics of setting, filling and anchoring cans in space, that was a bitch. Er, waitaminute... ;)

Q

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2014, 09:47 »

When you don't have people starting to exploit game mechanisms and start probing the racetrack the days before the race.

Djimbo Pakkat

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2014, 10:39 »

It's great to be getting feedback like this, thanks again.

I can see that this might get very complicated so I'll be hanging out in the frigate racing channel to hopefully get some help. I think it's a case of minimising the amount of man/woman power needed in order to iron out complications which might occur. Plus, we want as many people racing and having fun as possible, or maybe making and taking bets.

Anyways, now there is some interest I'll get on and draw up some track plans and look into the mechanics involved. Maybe even look into getting it recorded. I love the idea of IC coverage of this event (and maybe others to come) so if anyone is handy with media coverage, or narrating etc, keep an eye out as we may need your help!

See you lovely people in game :D

Quintrala

• Speed Fairy
  • Wetgraver
  • Summer is coming
    • Speed Fairy Blog
« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2014, 08:20 »

Why do you not tell us what you want to do? I would not want you to think the challenges we each faced on our own leagues are all there is to it. Racing history is much more than ISRC/SRV and there is a lot we do not know, and a lot that could be achieved...

Q

Djimbo Pakkat

• Clonejack
« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2014, 09:25 »

Okay :) here's my ICish idea...

Race from Poitot to Intaki - route to be decided.
An old route used by the Intaki Exiles to reach Intaki. Smajhuata Express was a way to keep old friends connected. But now. Now The Samjhuata Express will be the most gut wrenching, heart pounding race to enter the cluster in recent years. Organised by Aditi Kamal and sponsored by ______, we bring you the race of a lifetime.

This is just the initial idea, to make it interesting I'll be trying it out with T1 haulers for a hectic race, some won't make it :D

Sakaane Eionell

• Wetgraver
    • Solitary Pilot
« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2014, 19:15 »

Hope you can put this together, Djimbo. :) The RP flavor in using what could be posited as an underground route for the exiles to run messages to loved ones left behind is pretty interesting.

ILF is up for sponsoring (or co-sponsoring) if you don't have anyone else in mind already.