Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there are minmatar who willingly serve the Amarr empire? More here

Author Topic: A question about player run events  (Read 994 times)

Saikoyu

• Omelette
A question about player run events
« on: 21 Jan 2013, 15:06 »

I am just wondering if anyone has tried something like the following and if so how it worked out.

Basically, has anyone made a OOC agreement with some people and then had some out of game thing happen until an in-game thing happened?

For instance, putting up a POS as a forward base to launch raiding parties to planets (before dust came out, so nothing in game) until someone got together to blow up the POS?  Kinda like the CCP run incursions in that aspect I guess, but aside from those. 

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
Re: A question about player run events
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2013, 15:18 »

The thing that immediately comes to mind is Archbishop's SPCS

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2013, 15:51 »

True, but if I remember right, no one ever came to blow those things up and he set it up so that it would be near impossible to do so in any case.  Is that right, or is my old age catching up with me?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2013, 15:55 »

I've ran a few, and TS-F is in "the middle of one".

Our current one is based off the event model of mixing together a setup/player response and seeing what reactions comes out of it. We went public with the first phase a few months ago, which was mainly a scavenger hunt. In particular, the trouble I run into is setting up something that fits the 'scene' of the roleplay. Pre-arranged fights leaves something of a sour taste in people's mouths, so I haven't approached potential parties to avoid that problem. The lack of tools to setup a 'deadspace stage', like an NPC complex, often means progression is random chance based.

I've considered opening a public mailing list that notifies people when we are out raiding the Serpentis, but I am speculative if this would be anything other than a 'come hotdrop us' invitation. Otherwise, the most currently available is AAR's I distribute related to the plotline.

Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Jev North

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2013, 16:53 »

The lack of tools to setup a 'deadspace stage', like an NPC complex, often means progression is random chance based.
Nnngh don't even start. I've seen a couple of interestingly named cans around in certain places, and missed shots at getting them. Quite frustrating.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2013, 21:23 »

The lack of tools to setup a 'deadspace stage', like an NPC complex, often means progression is random chance based.
Nnngh don't even start. I've seen a couple of interestingly named cans around in certain places, and missed shots at getting them. Quite frustrating.

If you can pass me their names, I can check what their status was. I'm interested in how visible some of them were compared to each other.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2013, 11:40 »

I have been involved in these, to mixed results.

In one case, the event took the form of a fairly interesting D-scan scavenger hunt, which lead to me scanning down a couple cans and passing on the info they contained to others.

In another case, several communication failures between opposing sides led to them coming to events with vastly different ideas of how things were to proceed, which naturally ended with a lot of (thankfully short-term) bad feelings.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2013, 12:51 »

These are difficult to do in EVE considering the excessive ease of ruining other people's events, and believe me people WILL do this to you just because they can. 

Your best bet is to ONLY tell the people involved, and then tell everyone AFTER through an announcement or a news story, etc.