EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > CCP Public Library

Greco-Roman influences - Gallente or Amarr?

(1/4) > >>

Seriphyn:
And now for something completely different...

I've often debated whether or not it is ye olde Garoun Empire or the earlier Amarr Empire that were more stylized after Greco-Roman influence...in favour of the Gallente...

- NPC names: Federation Praktor Centurion, Federation Praktor Legionarius, Federation Praktor Praetoria, Federation Nauclarius (Byzantine marine) etc.
- Ship names: Thanatos, Moros, Hyperion etc.

I do believe the old Bestower had Greek characters on it, but mostly I think the Greco-Roman thing for the Amarr is mostly player-driven (PIE Inc. etc.), with the exception of that city on Mekhios, or something. But :gonzales: right? :P

Hell, even the Caldari had a unit called "Templis Dragonaurs", so who knows...

Ken:
There's hodge-podgery afoot, no doubt about it.  I've always seen the Middle Eastern and Crusader influences in the Amarr as stronger than anything Roman or Greek, and your point about the names of GalNav NPC ships and Gallente ship class names is a strong one.

Casiella:
The Amarrians came from a "Unified Catholic Church" colony, which I interpret to mean the unification of the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox tradition, rather than Greco-Roman in a cultural sense (though at some point obviously some overlap exists).

Alain Colcer:
I always saw Gallente as some sort of Babylonian modern culture. Code of Laws, power of the people and certain "cultural domination" characteristics all relate to it.

However in the way the Gallente are painted, they protray more "romantic" attributes mixed with the concept of Knights and Kings of Middle Age Europe.

All thrown into a modern-era Democracy.

I don't think there is much greco-roman influence besides ship names and other descriptions in-game.

Z.Sinraali:
I'm still not sure why it can't be both. The Roman Empire did basically create the Western world, after all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version