Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That ship crews only perform cleanup, maintenance, and lower-order operations on ships? (The Burning Life p 31)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Your frigates have crew  (Read 20132 times)

Anyanka Funk

Re: Your frigates have crew
« Reply #90 on: 04 Nov 2014, 16:00 »

Let's change that, Cuci!

Post stuff about your ships crew. Go pvp. Post something about survivors. What else can we do?

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #91 on: 04 Nov 2014, 16:02 »

Let's change that, Cuci!

Post stuff about your ships crew. Go pvp. Post something about survivors. What else can we do?

Oh, yes. I'm certainly not saying 'wai don't you all do dis' and then not do it myself. I'm doing some writing this week on Cuci.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #92 on: 04 Nov 2014, 16:26 »

I think it's just your lack of exposure to it. I've long made use of NPCs including my crew, especially my crew.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #93 on: 04 Nov 2014, 16:29 »

I think it's just your lack of exposure to it. I've long made use of NPCs including my crew, especially my crew.

Yep, there is a very good chance that I just not have RP'd with the people that do it. I usually see 'that's life,' 'OH MY GAWD MY CREW *DRUGZDRUGZDRUGZ*' or 'crew? you mean my slaves? there's a couple hot ones...'

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #94 on: 04 Nov 2014, 17:06 »

I've never been exposed to ship crew. Flying anything larger than a frigate, I think most people would have a hard time playing with a crew. I'm not even sure I could do that at the moment. I'm still working on Anyanka's frig crew and so far it is something I'm still not one-hundred percent on. Add to that, they will most likely die after only a few engagements.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #95 on: 04 Nov 2014, 19:16 »

I also want to point out that Cross-capsule variant ships do in fact exist in prime fiction. Which would allow capsuleers to also be a part of the crew. While it wouldn't be the best idea, it is possible and the capsuleer would generally remain safe even as the ship is destroyed as they have a guaranteed escape pod.

Yup. I fully support this usage in RP. Even on frigates, it's possible if you sacrifice a bit of space.

I won't be doing this in a frigate, but for a wormhole-based strat cruiser? Yes, why not? Strategic cruisers are probably also outfitted with laboratories and such for wormhole ops, and are probably expected to stay in space without docking for weeks, if not months. Cross-capsule systems will benefit the capsuleer as he would be expected to do more than just flying a ship in this kind of situation.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #96 on: 05 Nov 2014, 13:54 »

Silver has a fairly extensively developed crew, at least the upper ranks. Luckily I never undock, so they've had time to develop - and in the case of his XO she eventually became a podder herself.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #97 on: 05 Nov 2014, 19:35 »

Ari doesn't talk about her crews cause her employees are not a point of mental contention.  The higher ranking officers are Alpha clone Empyreans, as for the rest, her hiring practices are her own.

And she has had issues with crew before; some people know about it.

As an aside, she did actually get that ship and its crew back, surprisingly unharmed and unmolested. ;)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #98 on: 05 Nov 2014, 22:25 »

Actually maybe Silver is just being Evil. His highest-ranking crew are assigned to ships he never undocks and super well paid. Perhaps it's that way to motivate the lower ranking crew to take more dangerous jobs in hopes they will get that cushy gig at some point.  :yar:

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #99 on: 06 Nov 2014, 06:58 »

Elmund's frigates are so heavily mechanized and automated (algorithms written by one of his support staff. Yes, he is Gallentean and he annoys Elmund once in a while with pop culture references he doesn't understand) that it is only Matari on the surface layer. Walk inside and you would think you were inside a rogue drone.

His destroyers aren't any better, but there are crew quarters, and yes, he does have crew in there, though their numbers are at the barest minimum. All engineers and technicians, but also trained to operate drones. For these guys he has implemented safety protocols that THEY MUST ABSOLUTELY FOLLOW (such as staying in the most structurally sound parts of the ship during combat and use drones to repair remotely and only come out after the fighting stops. There are triple redundancy systems in place so they shouldn't be out and about when the shells fly). Anyone who tries to play the hero will, if they survive, be fired to discourage daredevilry.

He hasn't flown cruisers or worked on cruisers extensively enough yet.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #100 on: 06 Nov 2014, 07:05 »

Actually maybe Silver is just being Evil. His highest-ranking crew are assigned to ships he never undocks and super well paid. Perhaps it's that way to motivate the lower ranking crew to take more dangerous jobs in hopes they will get that cushy gig at some point.  :yar:

Ari would say he's being average;  Jared's ship is chillin' casually in safe safe Empire in 'drydock' ... while she lives in VFK ...  8)

Despite ones revenue.. you dont subject a person to medical cloning with the lackidasical thought of "Bah they'll be fine waking up endlessly with amnesia for weeks at a time, see the calenar, know they died, and then need psych care.." :D
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2014, 07:07 by Arista Shahni »

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #101 on: 12 Nov 2014, 08:06 »

Mine don't.

The end.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #102 on: 12 Nov 2014, 21:30 »

My frigates have extra crew. Your character should feel bad when you blow them up.

Donations for the families are accepted

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #103 on: 13 Nov 2014, 04:15 »

With the time spent in Gallente space, and the fact she avoids capsuleer combat like the plague, most of her frigates would be crewed by drones just to keep things ticking over. Most battleships and cruisers die slow lingering deaths so It's fair to assume the crew escapes as hull damage progresses.
Perhaps people who have demonstrated a caring side towards baseliners could start evemailing people who blow up their ships asking if they wish to contribute towards their widows fund?

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #104 on: 18 Jan 2015, 17:20 »

There are a lot of uses for crew. Maintenance, analysis of data, taking care of passengers, guards, liaison officers, cargo haulers, I personally favor having a translator slave around.

However, when going into short missions in which I usually dock within the space of an hour, I don't need all these extra hands. I certainly don't need them to start interfering with manually loading ammo in the space of a 30 second frigate fight. It doesn't make any sense to take them aboard, especially since I'm usually fighting until the ship is destroyed. The odds of crew being killed in action on such an op is extremely high. Why would non-essential personnel go on such a mission?

I have standing maintenance crews etc. on my regular bases. I hire temps on stations I don't regularly visit when I need to to unload cargo and perform maintenance. Analysis and communication is done remotely.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8