Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a demonstration by the pro-cloning group Imperial Immortality Foundation was attacked by the Imperial Army using nanotoxin in YC106, resulting in numerous fatalities.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Your frigates have crew  (Read 20132 times)

Desiderya

Re: Your frigates have crew
« Reply #45 on: 05 Aug 2011, 06:04 »

Answer is: Both. For every job you need the necessary tools. Some may be remote controlled, some autonomous repair drones, some nanite based. Up for the crew to choose.
Quote from: Horatius Caul
get down there with some spanners and beat on things.
Dispenser going up!

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #46 on: 05 Aug 2011, 07:00 »

I've always been under the impression that the function of a crew was for maintenance and not critically essential to the operation of the vessel during combat operations. Given this, one could presume the level of automation on a capsule fitted vessel has ways of adapting to minor system malfunctions. A mission runner running missions all day has, in my opinion, no reason to carry a fully fitted crew 24/7 and probably leaves most of them at home. Running war patrols or work in one of the militias? Those are probably full of people.

One reason that I feel that robots don't make much sense as crew is that if a robot could do those tasks already they would have incorporated it into the automation design of the vessel, which implies that said maintenance requires more than just a good ol' scrub from a robot or a routine systems diagnostics check. I also feel that cost DOES factor into this, despite the fact that we do not have a very clear or precise understanding of the exact nature of how deep the level of automation runs through New Eden society. Also, if someone told you that your Thorax would cost an additional 20 million ISK to purchase with some kind of automated crew, I don't care how rich you are the idea of flying with crew suddenly seems a lot more feasible.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #47 on: 05 Aug 2011, 07:41 »

I've always been under the impression that the function of a crew was for maintenance and not critically essential to the operation of the vessel during combat operations. Given this, one could presume the level of automation on a capsule fitted vessel has ways of adapting to minor system malfunctions. A mission runner running missions all day has, in my opinion, no reason to carry a fully fitted crew 24/7 and probably leaves most of them at home. Running war patrols or work in one of the militias? Those are probably full of people.

One reason that I feel that robots don't make much sense as crew is that if a robot could do those tasks already they would have incorporated it into the automation design of the vessel, which implies that said maintenance requires more than just a good ol' scrub from a robot or a routine systems diagnostics check. I also feel that cost DOES factor into this, despite the fact that we do not have a very clear or precise understanding of the exact nature of how deep the level of automation runs through New Eden society. Also, if someone told you that your Thorax would cost an additional 20 million ISK to purchase with some kind of automated crew, I don't care how rich you are the idea of flying with crew suddenly seems a lot more feasible.

This would reflect my own understanding and most of what I've read.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #48 on: 07 Aug 2011, 22:44 »

As someone who has used combat drones quite often over the years, I can say I would not trust drones to serve as crewmembers in any capacity. From my experience, drones need constant supervision and instruction or they choose to do the most incredibly stupid thing possible.

Just as an example, with a field of 30 ships in one room of a mission, drones left to choose their own targets will invariably pick the target that triggers the next wave of ships. When that wave arrives (and with a field now somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 ships) they will once again auto-select the next trigger vessel.

It's like they want you to die. I personally have a theory that all drones are a half-step away from going rogue and are just looking for the opportunity. There is NO WAY that I would trust them with critical functions inside my ship.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #49 on: 07 Aug 2011, 23:02 »

You shouldn't trust humans either, as they're all Jovian spies.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #50 on: 08 Aug 2011, 05:21 »

Screw Jovian ones, it's the ones who work for Istvaan you should worry about.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #51 on: 08 Aug 2011, 06:58 »

As someone who has used combat drones quite often over the years, I can say I would not trust drones to serve as crewmembers in any capacity. From my experience, drones need constant supervision and instruction or they choose to do the most incredibly stupid thing possible.

Just as an example, with a field of 30 ships in one room of a mission, drones left to choose their own targets will invariably pick the target that triggers the next wave of ships. When that wave arrives (and with a field now somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 ships) they will once again auto-select the next trigger vessel.

It's like they want you to die. I personally have a theory that all drones are a half-step away from going rogue and are just looking for the opportunity. There is NO WAY that I would trust them with critical functions inside my ship.

This, dear god. Afking in a drone boat is a great way to die unless you know that your tank can handle every spawn in the room at once. Granted, the dual rep Domi can do that fairly well in most cases, but for something like Blockade? Even the 1400 dps EM/Therm tank can't stand up to firepower of that magnitude.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #52 on: 08 Aug 2011, 07:33 »

And everyone wonders why I avoid the use of drones...

I knew they were up to something!

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #53 on: 08 Aug 2011, 09:02 »

Screw Jovian ones, it's the ones who work for Istvaan you should worry about.

Also Jovian.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #54 on: 08 Aug 2011, 10:57 »

The old days were the best, where upon issuing an attack order drones would sometimes in mid flight randomly redirect their aggro to one of your gang mates and proceed to murder them.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Kemekk

• Amarrian Ultranationalist
  • Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #55 on: 08 Aug 2011, 11:05 »

The old days were the best, where upon issuing an attack order drones would sometimes in mid flight randomly redirect their aggro to one of your gang mates and proceed to murder them.

That sounds like the kind of hilarity that I'd like to see in fleet warfare.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #56 on: 08 Aug 2011, 11:14 »

That sounds like the kind of hilarity that I'd like to see in fleet warfare.

It was called smartbombing in an RRBS gang in highsec, until Kuvakei said "let there be light" in Algintal, and CONCORD/CCP went "nope, that's not happening twice". :(
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #57 on: 09 Aug 2011, 03:05 »

MY frigates have no crews.

And we all know, Ava frigates, best frigates!

They do, however, come fully equipped with sunshine dispensers and marshmallow launchers!

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #58 on: 09 Aug 2011, 08:56 »

They do, however, come fully equipped with sunshine dispensers and marshmallow launchers!

Is that what we're calling lasers and webs these days? I'm glad you've finally realized that lasers are superior to stone age bullets, Ava...welcome to the dark side.  :twisted:

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #59 on: 09 Aug 2011, 15:57 »

Is that what we're calling lasers and webs these days? I'm glad you've finally realized that lasers are superior to stone age bullets, Ava...welcome to the dark side.  :twisted:

Funny. Very funny. Autocannons >>>> Lasers!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8