Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Fiery Kernite once led to an epic bar brawl in the Syndicate, leading it to be called "Rage Stone"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: An idea to spark an RP resurgence. Looking for support.  (Read 7888 times)

Valadeus

Re: An idea to spark an RP resurgence. Looking for support.
« Reply #15 on: 17 Nov 2014, 05:52 »

I'm interested. Feel free to shoot me a private message here or in-game. I'd like to send you some information and a few questions, as well.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2014, 08:05 »

Well, when I worked for a roleplaying game company in Toronto, one of the categories I was writing for was 'People, places, things'. The publisher considered these as the essential elements of any story.

In EVE, we might consider 'livestock/ passengers', plus 'commodity item', plus 'location', equals 'problem' as the essential elements of a story.

For example:

A scientist plus hydrogen batteries, and the location is Sobaseki.

The person, object, and thing are plot devices. Now to further the plot, we need some conflict. Let's say he has to deliver these batteries to Jita, during the 'burn Jita' event. That is a problem.

According to Cory Doctorow ('Down and out in the Magic Kingdom'), these are the five essential elements of a plot.

1. A person, in a place, has a problem. (exposition)
2. The person tries to solve this problem intelligently, but fails. (rising action)
3. The failure to solve this problem causes an event or series of events to happen. (Climax).
4. The person (friends, society) struggles to deal with the resulting consequences of their failure. (Falling action).
5. The person and situation are both somehow changed as a result of the consequences (Resolution).

Optionally, adding in 'more stuff' to the original three, such as more commodity items (strippers, marines, DNA, etc.) would be a 'plot coupon' to help further the story along.

1. The person (scientist), in a place (Sobaseki) has a problem (hydrogen batteries).
2. The scientist tries to deliver the batteries through a courier contract, but no one is interested in hauling such a low value item. He decides that hauling a badger full of batteries is too high risk. He tries to fly the blueprints to Jita himself in a shuttle, and buy the minerals and make the batteries right inside Jita, (Intelligent solution) but he gets ganked. (Failure)
3. The scientist can't understand why his shuttle full of hydrogen battery blueprints was ganked, until he finds out they were a special prototype worth half a billion ISK. His CEO is furious. He fires the scientist, and hires mercenaries to track down the gankers and retrieve the prototype batteries. The unemployed scientist falls into a state of depression.
4. The Mercenaries discover that the batteries were ganked by Gallente pirates, who are now intending to reverse engineer and use them as the power source for a new, improved POS shield. The Mercenaries also tell the Caldari state what happened. The corporation is investigated, and a look at the corporate wallet shows transactions were made between the corporation and well known Gallente faction war corporations. The scientist and his CEO are now considered as possibly cooperating with the gankers. They are arrested and incarcerated, where they are now facing charges of treason against the state.
5. The scientist and CEO explain to the Caldari Navy how the battery works, and how it can be deactivated. They hand over the blueprint to the Caldari Navy. The Navy can now use that information against the Gallente pirates. The CEO explains that 'money is money', and the scientist and the CEO are both officially cleared of charges.

-So the way to 'play' this game would be to contract these roleplaying props to someone else on the OOC mailing list. These things should be able to be put into a contract, so contraband would be have to be excluded (slaves, drugs, etc.)

-It is possible to have a story written by a committee in a sort of relay method.

a) One person receives the plot devices (stripper, khumaak, Kor-Azor Prime). Then, they come up with the problem (The stripper is in possession of a sacred artifact which is forbidden in the Kor-Azor region). Then, they contract these things to the next person.
b)  The next person has to come up with how the person (stripper) tried to solve the problem (intelligently), but somehow still failed.
c) Then, onto the next person. 'What were the results of the stripper's failure?'
d) Then the next person. 'How were the stripper and his/ her friends affected as a consequence of the failure? How did they cope? What happened to them?'
e) Then, passed onto the next person. 'How were all the loose ends of the story tied up?'

1. Ideally, the location should probably be at a local trade hub, so if any hauling is involved from one location to another at least it's not a chore, there is at least an opportunity to make some profit.

2. However, hauling is not an essential part of the story's development. The objects can stay safely in your hangar, be destroyed, sold, re-contracted etc. The person, object and location that were assigned to you are merely related to your character in some minor way. The who, what, and where are already provided for you. Now it is up to you to figure out why these things are related to your character, and how you will deal with it.

3. Once you have decided the relationship between the scientist, the hydrogen batteries, and Sobaseki, submit that information onto an OOC mailing list. Make it into flash fiction. Explain your character's relationship with these things, if any, and how you contribute to the plot problem.

4. Contract it to someone else if you want, perhaps even a newbie who is still flying his industrial around in high sec running courier missions.

I would suggest contracting these things to newer players. Not only do newbies need the money, but they are eager to make new friends in EVE, help out and learn more about the game. I am a little concerned with how EVE drops it's new members into the cold dark void and tells them to start swimming with sharks. There has to be some other alternative to mining in high sec, only to get your mining barge ganked by griefers, while veterans laugh and CCP simply shrugs their shoulders.

I know when I was a newbie myself, I was flying my industrial around high sec shipping commodities like hydrogen batteries and soil from one station to another for piddly profits. I probably would have made more money and had more fun ratting in high sec, but nobody told me this.

Courier contracts are awful. The courier contracts ask for an exorbitant deposit, and in exchange offer a paltry reward. High sec shipping should be a viable career choice for a newbie to jump into, but unless they skill up in arbitrage trading it's just another low paying grind. With the introduction of jump fatigue however, we are bound to see an increase in the use of tech 1 industrials in high sec. A juicy (e.g. ten million isk) 'roleplay' contract delivery might even pay the newbie enough to make them consider shipping and hauling as an exciting and profitable career choice in EVE.

Also, it's pretty helpful for the veteran player / character to cultivate and maintain good relations with 'protege' haulers. Many of us have lots of junk everywhere, and carting it around is tedious work. Many of the people that role-play are bored Freighter pilots. Also, logistics is king in EVE.   

I suppose you could think of these roleplay courier contracts as a 'mini-mission'.

Mission running is probably the best exposure many EVE players ever get to roleplay or the lore. Adding something on top of that, such as a 'roleplay' courier delivery from a mission hub back to a major (or minor) trade hub, provides content and incentive. No hauler wants to make a trip unless they have a full cargo hold both ways. Joining the mailing list means they can participate in the roleplay fun as well.

I think my friend that ran a 48 hour science fiction film contest in my home town had a similar means of randomly generating plot. The contest was to see who could come up with the best Science fiction themed film in a 48 hour period. In order to make sure no one used a preconceived film script idea, he chose a noun, a verb, and a line of dialogue, all three of which had to be in the film. 
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2014, 15:08 »

major rp corps

Because these are still a thing.

Ludicrous as it may sound, but one of the biggest RP entities currently active, is in fact, the CODE people, who are all RPing in their own way.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2014, 08:20 »

major rp corps

Because these are still a thing.

Ludicrous as it may sound, but one of the biggest RP entities currently active, is in fact, the CODE people, who are all RPing in their own way.

Yes I have heard that. "All hail James 315, the savior of high sec!"

I wonder why the Amarrian loyalist roleplayers haven't chimed in on this? Aren't God and the Empress the true saviors of high sec? Amarr does control about half of high sec.

Is it because CODE isn't enough to take seriously? Is it because there is no sovereignty to be lost or gained?

Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2014, 09:24 »

Oh, wow, that would be really great!
I have been trying to provoke faction conflict in RP for quite long time.

I would like to participate as well! Poke me in "Out of character" channel in game, im almost always sit there with one or two my alts ;)

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 18 Nov 2014, 09:33 »

Is it because CODE isn't enough to take seriously? Is it because there is no sovereignty to be lost or gained?

It's because CODE is not an RP corp. James is bored and wants free ISK, other people are bored and want to join a troll corp. End of story. Anyone that claims they are an RP corp are full of shit or delusional.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 18 Nov 2014, 10:01 »

To reconstruct the quite helpful TL;DR that was modded away for reasons I really don't get:

Quote from: Jikahr
-OOC Roleplay mailing list.

-Members of the list receive or identify two commodity items, a person and a thing, and a place.
-You are challenged to make a story from the combination of the person, thing and place.

1. The items would be chosen for you by someone else, possibly given to you through a contract.
2. There should be an option to pass your turn, or choose/ substitute with your own items. Giving a slave with a Slaver hound in Amarr to a Minmatar low sec pirate would probably just be trolling them. The optional substitution items might be things that you have acquired yourself, although it is possible to 'cheat' and buy or just look at/ refer to the items in a Station.
3. 'Secret Santa' is a good idea. I'm not sure how it would work in EVE. You could do it through an alt I suppose. Do contracts list their senders?
4. Will the list of people be public? Well, I doubt it. It's a mailing list. I think your name would be on it if you sent or replied to another person on the list. Then again, we would have to know who we were sending the 'MacGuffins' out to, so we would have to know the names of everyone on the list.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Visian Mu'artarkan

• Owner/Operator GZS Productions & Club Zer0
  • Clonejack
    • ground zero sum
« Reply #22 on: 18 Nov 2014, 10:30 »

Well, I've come to realize that I'm going to have to interject myself in this somehow to get it rolling. I don't want it to be just a series of mission like objectives. I want it to build organically, involving people as they're pulled into a web of lies, deceit, and war. So, Visian is contacting people and is definitely up to something as a plot and plan builds in his head. He's got some bones to pick with some people, and you know what they say...once a Minmatar terrorist, always a Minmatar terrorist.

Basically, any interaction with him in-game is likely to draw you into the beginning stages. I was in a bit of a rush to do this in my excitement for the idea, but I think going the organic route will likely increase the immersion of RPers and get them involved. It is definitely going to be a developing thing.
"Lies, manipulation, deceit...those are my tools in trade. The end game is always violence though. It's no good to just beat someone. You have to dissect their world and make 'em beg for an end. You twist 'em as much as you can and then you come down on 'em like the hammer of god." - Visian Mu'artarkan, Private Sessions

ground ze/ro sum

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #23 on: 18 Nov 2014, 10:42 »

Organic is definitely the way to go! Much more fun that way. :)

Looking forward to see how it develops.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #24 on: 18 Nov 2014, 11:32 »

Count me interested.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #25 on: 18 Nov 2014, 13:07 »

you know what they say...once a Minmatar terrorist, always a Minmatar terrorist.

Hurr hurr  :oops:

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Visian Mu'artarkan

• Clonejack
    • ground zero sum
« Reply #26 on: 18 Nov 2014, 13:09 »

you know what they say...once a Minmatar terrorist, always a Minmatar terrorist.

Yeah...I'm not really sure anyone else actually said that besides myself.
"Lies, manipulation, deceit...those are my tools in trade. The end game is always violence though. It's no good to just beat someone. You have to dissect their world and make 'em beg for an end. You twist 'em as much as you can and then you come down on 'em like the hammer of god." - Visian Mu'artarkan, Private Sessions

ground ze/ro sum

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #27 on: 18 Nov 2014, 13:56 »

Well, at the moment, I'm pretty much it in the Minmatar Terrorist department. The only other one decided to quit, heh.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #28 on: 18 Nov 2014, 14:43 »

I'm actually referencing the fact I just joined Amarr militia xD All these names I know and hate but can't shoot q.q

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Visian Mu'artarkan

• Clonejack
    • ground zero sum
« Reply #29 on: 18 Nov 2014, 14:57 »

Well, at the moment, I'm pretty much it in the Minmatar Terrorist department. The only other one decided to quit, heh.

Ah! Well, you never know when you may run across an old timer looking to jump the stakes once more.

I'm actually referencing the fact I just joined Amarr militia xD All these names I know and hate but can't shoot q.q

Hmmmm...he might have a use for someone like that too.  ;)

ground ze/ro sum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4