Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Titan Doomsday Devices were originally massive, field clearing nukes instead of doomsday rays?

Author Topic: Gender status in EVE (and elevated status of Fed women)  (Read 2084 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

What bothered me for a time was how EVE all seemed very patriarchal still...however...there were some points I discovered that makes me think that, at least in the Federation, women are in stronger position than men...

- Arlette Villers, sixth President of the Federation, was a female (since most people were wondering about a female Fed Pres)
- Ethnic Gallentean women are "the models" for self-empowerment, hard working (compare to Caldari accusations of Gallente laziness and indulgence) with no jobs barred to them. Extremely confident, very creative and resourceful etc.
- There are disproportionately more Intaki women who are the famed artists than men
- Jin-Mei men are laid back, whereas women are bigger risk takers, taking the beacon of equal opportunity when the Gallenteans arrived.

It seems that, due to the lack of patriarchy, the men are lazier and have no need to assert their dominance. Meanwhile, the women may have an innate need to elevate themselves due to their shorter stature, and lower upper limit on physical strength or other such matters etc.

Meanwhile, the Caldari probably have it as a complete non-issue. Amarr probably celebrate different gender roles given their basis in traditionalism. True Amarr and Khanid women (mainly the old descs) have descriptions pertaining to strong family ties for the former, and running the household on their own for the latter.

Minmatar as a tribal culture probably puts stock in male/female leading in different areas. "These small establishments, often small canteens and bistros, are usually operated by the matriarch of the family." indicates, and I would imagine, since I think that's how tribes work, that there is a distinction between a matriarch and patriach. They'd probably be in command of their own domains within their clan or whatever.

Just some conjecture at any rate.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2010, 10:39 by Seriphyn »

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
Re: Gender status in EVE (and elevated status of Fed women)
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2010, 09:43 »

The role of the different sexes needs to be balanced, because in the game the characters are balanced. This basically means that in all Empires (and 0.0 factions) we see strong women. In the Empire, there's usually women as Heirs. There's currently an Empress. Plus Serude Sakekoo, the former Imperial Chancellor (no idea what she's doing now that Aritcio got the Chancellorship, but I'd assume that she's basically running things for Aritcio).

In the Minmatar Republic, the former Prime Minister was Karin Midular, so there's a woman again. (No idea if she's still in hiding or acting as the leader of the Sebiestor Tribe, a post she also had.) Admitted, there seems to be no other female tribe leaders, though the tribes have several female division heads. (Also, CCP should fix the fact that Vherokior Tribe's leaders are apparently Brutor / Sebiestor... though I guess that *could* be explained by tribes mixing in slavery.)

The Fed was covered with their strong-willed sex objects. Though likely here culture does play a big role - as the Federal citizens are used to seeing bare skin, the latex and transparent plastic outfits with FF cup breast jobs would likely appear to these people as less objectifying than us do.

Caldari have multiple female CEOs, so that is covered, as well.

I was about to write that many highest-ranking plot characters are men, but then I remembered Jamyl. And Santimona. And Silphy. And Haatakan. Also Karin. Catiz. Oh, and Meyima, though she's not yet technically a big player. Of course, on the male side we have Tibus, Otro's ghost, Mens, Aritcio, Uriam, Souro, Jacus, Mentas... (starts to look like that the Gallente is actually the least equal if we look at the top dogs?)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2010, 13:30 »

[admin]Moved to OOC Summit[/admin]

Eve seems to have pretty universal gender equality, at least on a society-wide level (I'm sure that on the level of individuals or smaller social groups, there might be variation.) Given the way Eve is virtually every group against, or at least trying to take advantage of, every other group, I guess people don't have enough time to worry too much about equipment. The important thing is that you're from the same corporation/tribe/work for the same Holder (whatever their gender)/fly for the same group of pirates/etc.

I think that given the level of technology in Eve, any perceived physical differences between the genders - up to and including the issues involved in pregnancy - are probably largely mitigated by technology.

I don't see that there is any real evidence that any particular empire is 'better' at gender equality than any other.

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2010, 18:34 »

Watsonian explanation

Each faction has their own reason why the genders would be equal.

Amarr: All Faithful are equal under God, why differentiate between those who swing when they jog?
Caldari: So long as the person works towards the greater whole, it is irrelevant whether they are male or female.
Gallente: Social freedom! Down with oppressive discrimination!
Minmatar: You know what? After centuries in slavery, I don't care who's flying the ****ing ship, so long as they're freeing my brethren.

Doylist Explanation

Dev1: "Alright, so naturally the Amarr, being pretty traditional, would probably have defined gender roles. So would the Minmatar, since they're also pretty traditional. The Gallente would definitely be free of it, but I think the Caldari might have some sexism lingering around."
Dev2: "So you want the canon to encourage male players to treat femmes as less than people?"
Dev1: "Sure, it'll create an aura of adversity to overcome, which is what EVE is all about, right?"
Dev2: "I don't know..."
PRconsultant1: Bursts through the door with a shotgun in his hands, shoots Dev1 through the head. "Thank caffeine, I was nearly too late! Dev2, you've been promoted. You're now Dev1. Someone let HR know all the surviving developers are being moved up a place."
Dev2/1: "Woohoo!"
PRconsultant1: "Intern1, you're the new Dev43."
Intern1/Dev2: Throws the tray of coffee he was carrying into the face of Intern2 (Now Intern1). "Finally!"

I'm pretty sure that's how CCP handles their promotions, anyway.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2010, 20:02 »

I'm pretty sure that's how CCP handles their promotions, anyway.

Existing evidence would seem to agree with you.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 01 Aug 2010, 02:48 »

Meanwhile, the women may have an innate need to elevate themselves due to their shorter stature, and lower upper limit on physical strength or other such matters etc.
Probably the most chauvinistic comment I have come across in the past twenty years of my life.

Rock on.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug 2010, 05:16 »

Meanwhile, the women may have an innate need to elevate themselves due to their shorter stature, and lower upper limit on physical strength or other such matters etc.
Probably the most chauvinistic comment I have come across in the past twenty years of my life.

Rock on.

Goodness me, even if it is chauvinistic, it's referring to fictional video game women. Stating that women have a lower limit on strength than men in general is not even remotely chauvinistic. It's like stating how men can't be mothers.

But yeah, overall across all factions there is general equality, just that there are separation of roles for some right?

Also, yes, the so-called gender equal Federation is the worst example of women in charge in terms of fictional content...wonder if anyone could take the time to run through the genders of factional CEOs...might motivate myself to do so.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 07 Aug 2010, 08:09 »

Reviving this with another thought...if the Jin-Mei's status of women was woefully inadequate, why can't the other factions be?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #8 on: 07 Aug 2010, 09:07 »

Sub-factions, so to speak, might well have inequality or other problems. I mean, this is a universe where factions tolerate or even practice slavery -- it's not unreasonable to think that some folks, somewhere, look down on women (or men).

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 09 Aug 2010, 16:22 »

I seem to remember, way back in the dawn of time, something on the character creation screens that basically said that Amarrian women were usually power behind the thrown types, who manuipulate the men in change.  But I'm foggy about where it was, so I can not say it for sure.