Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kyoko Sakoda interned with Omerta Syndicate? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Question about IC/OOC did I cross line?  (Read 9732 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Question about IC/OOC did I cross line?
« Reply #30 on: 01 Sep 2010, 15:02 »

[admin]Thread locked while we decide how to deal with it. I suggest pretty much everyone involved take a good look at the Rules and FAQ while we're doing that. In particular the parts regarding personal vendettas and the difference between argument and debate.It is also not alright to paraphrase what someone has said to put words in their mouth. If you need clarification, ask for clarification. [/admin]

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #31 on: 01 Sep 2010, 17:27 »

[admin]Thread unlocked. As some participants may not have been entirely familiar with the sort of posting that is encouraged on backstage, and it is understandably easy to fall into patterns that are acceptable in many other venues, but not here, all I'm going to do is suggest that people review the FAQ, Mission Statement, and Rules carefully before posting. Consider this an informal warning to all participants.There are also the things that have been moderated, both in this thread and others, to show what is considered unacceptable. Further posts in this thread that require moderation will very likely result in warnings or other administrative action.[/admin]

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #32 on: 01 Sep 2010, 17:37 »

Well I'm pretty sure that reduced the word-count of this thread by about a third, and I'm just as sure the vast majority of it (My own edited comments included) was required.

In any case I think I'll just leave an observation on this issue while I still have the ability to be 'First post after the culling': This topic seems to be, in the opinions of those who have opinions on the topic, straight-forward. Neither side seems ready to convince the other within the outlined format of 'debate' as opposed to 'argument' on the FAQ. Not that argument's ever really convinced anyone, though.

I do believe that our views have been represented and communicated, all that's really left will most likely be the kind of bickering that we've been reminded isn't permitted Backstage. I'm going to let this be since I've contributed all I can civilly (And, unfortunately, a little more). I suggest that you, anonymous to me person who is reading this, consider whether you've hit the same spot I have.

Sabbott

• Clonejack
« Reply #33 on: 01 Sep 2010, 17:44 »

I did not mean this thread to be go into such a heated debate, But what i do see it as... is an opportunity to work together as a community, even with Jade who disagrees , and form a community roleplay code of conduct that we could all strive to follow... it could point out lines of OOC/IC, and just general good conduct of roleplay in eve, and even advice. idea's to develop our characters etc.

What do you all say ?

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #34 on: 01 Sep 2010, 17:48 »

Well I think thats probably killed the discussion. If anybody wants to speak plainly about this I'd be happy to continue at Chatsubo. By the by I will point out one of the problems with considering people's ooc webserver resources as important to your IC "convictions" on IGS right now:

I have changed the file names and locations of all the files involved and ensured that the usual IGS suspects are linking posters from World of Tanks - and will continue to change the graphics to be ridiculous ooc things because my web space belongs to me and you all have no right to consider it an IC existence unless I give you permission.

Now I've been decent and reasonable here I think. Other people might have changed the images to something dangerous and indecent and gotten you into trouble with the forum mods. (as I believe happened to Andreus once but I might be wrong).

But I guess it makes the point. Only I and my trusted friends get to link to my paid for and controlled webspace and have the security that the images won't get changed round to make them look ridiculous.

To my eyes there is no valid IC linkage to my ooc webspace and since I can and will ensure that images linked by people against my permission will be randomized in amusing ways to ridicule their IC arguments I suggest next time simply ask me first and respect the IC / OOC divide I follow.

Have a good day.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #35 on: 01 Sep 2010, 17:51 »

It's funny, I read this thread this morning before I left for work, and I composed a literate and witty reply in my head while I was driving.

There was traffic on the highway, and I had more time than I thought.

Anyway, by the time I got to work, it was locked.

Now I feel as if this thread has jumped the shark and my reply is no longer really necessary.

I will say, though, that I agree with Jade that a having a second RP character with a different agenda than your main character is entirely legitimate. I have one, and I usually refer to him as my 'second main' rather than my alt. They can be used to create good and dynamic stories. I think Ms Shaw is clearly different to Jade in that she is clearly played with a dry, satirical sense of humour, something I don't think the character of Jade has. I don't see a problem with this.

On the other hand, I think it's disingenuous to cry foul about the OOC/IC divide on Sabbot's actions. Accusing another character of being an alt is something your character could not possibly think, and always breaks that true IC immersion that many are going for.

The thing is, it's either alway wrong, or always okay. The use of links and web traces or whatever does not enter into the equation. It's no different from other occasions of people (and not just Jade, mind) doing the same thing with others.

Sorry, that's only the beginning of what I'd planned to say, but there's no need to inflame things further. This SF vs the Rest mentality that is developing in the RP community is not really helpful, in my opinion, which is why I tend to leave their IGS posts alone.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2010, 17:53 by Mammal Tafren »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #36 on: 02 Sep 2010, 11:42 »

[mod]Thread devolved again, locked permanently.This is not the place for accusations, personal vendettas, etc. It isn't the place to badger someone about their RP choices, seemingly contradictory or not.It is also certainly not the place for threats, and if I see something that looks like a threat - veiled or not - again, the person involved is going to be permanently banned.[/mod]

As a side note, and something that was cut from the discussion further down: CCP has moderated the thread in question on IGS, with indications that the stuff in question was OOC. That's CCPs opinion, and I think we've had most of the useful discussion on this we will have regarding everyone else's opinion.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2010, 12:00 by Silver Night »
Pages: 1 2 [3]