Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That, even on non-capsuleer vessels, ship command sections are designed to be sheared off and function as an escape capsule? (The Burning Life p. 85)

Author Topic: Weird Gallentean haircolors  (Read 4032 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Weird Gallentean haircolors
« on: 23 Aug 2010, 19:34 »

This grew out of an argument on Red's with me, Mizhara, and Koronakesh.

Basically the question is thus, the Gallenteans have no normal hair colors, they are all funky and intense and what we today would consider not real haircolors.

But are they? Basically, does the entire gallentean population collectively dye their hair weird colors (also the silver hair the sebiestor and Caldari have ) or in the 30,000 years of genetic drift, have these strange hair colors become natural?

natural or fake? basically
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Zag

Re: Weird Gallentean haircolors
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2010, 19:59 »

Well, you can still get brown/auburn and black hair colours with Gallente so I'd say those would generally be the norm and the more outlandish hair colours are for when a Gallentean doesn't want the curtains to match the rug. Along with their ubiquitous face painting I tend to think it's just the case of Gallenteans wanting to be special and unique snowflakes and failing because everyone else is also a special and unique snowflake with purple emo hair, face paint and pink transparent trousers.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2010, 20:38 »

...a Gallentean doesn't want the curtains to match the rug.

I'm quite certain they'd dye the rugs too. Probably in zebra stripes.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Zag

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2010, 20:46 »

I'm quite certain they'd dye the rugs too. Probably in zebra stripes.

Well if you've got purple curtains and a black and white landing strip rug they still don't match do they?

Usagi Tsukino

• Wetgraver
  • Fail RPer; Doing It Wrong.
    • Usagi's Seldom Updated Twitter Account
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2010, 02:53 »

Quite frankly I imagine most Gallente women would have hardwood flooring, if you know what I mean.

Stimulus :: Multispectacular
<3 Gurista raised, Caldari Navy trained, Bacchanalian alt. <3
Chaotic Dreams | An IC Blog Experiment

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2010, 03:43 »

But are they? Basically, does the entire gallentean population collectively dye their hair weird colors (also the silver hair the sebiestor and Caldari have ) or in the 30,000 years of genetic drift, have these strange hair colors become natural?

There are two determining factors to hair color: Genetics and fashion.

I personally feel that because of the way human hair colour is determined ( Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_color for details - in particular note the part that the pigments are pretty limited and essentially the same ones that determine skin colour) any mutation that would change the pigments significantly enough to cause drastically different range of possible hair colours would very likely also affect the possible range of skin tones.

On the other hand, technology makes hair colour a matter of choice, and Eve technology is more advanced than ours.

Perhaps the Gallente see hair colour and skin marks as accessories (as opposed to as features determining their identity). Any hair colour is possible, so why not choose something you like and that matches your wardrobe and maybe expresses your current mood? Hair colour is easy to change.

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2010, 05:45 »

Now now, don't be so quick about it.

I say it is natural. Come on. 30k+ years already with ALOT of inbreeding going on. Let your mind wander, stop bringing it back to the everything has to be synonymous with earth mentality.

Case in point. I have a genetic defect for which I have to wear special and very expensive glasses. No I will not post pics because I am not a nerd and I hate wearing glasses. I look like LBJ for fucks sake.

But basically, without the glasses, I would lose ALL of the pigment in my eyes in the next 10 years. For my mom it is going slower. For my daughter it might go faster.

Pigment is wonky, it can do strange things.

So my vote is that it is natural.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2010, 07:09 »

Saying the lavish Gallente hair colours is natural is like saying that Jin-Mei men always wear Jin-Mei robes, and Intaki women always wear sarees.

You forget that the character creation are caricatures. And any sort of assumption that these colours are natural may well be crushed by the new portraits this winter.

Federal Intelligence Office directors
Silphy et al (presumably Gallenteans too) on Intaki
CreoDron board of directors
Gallentean woman and husband
Gallentean soldier (notice the facial tattoo)
(Second from left) FedNav Grand Admiral and Captain
Souro Foiritan
Some Gallentean colonists
Souro Foiritan and other politician
Mentas Blaque and Jacus Roden
Anvent Eturrer and crowd of Gallente Prime citizens

The Gallente portraits are caricatures of the fact that Gallenteans love their wierd and wonderful fashions. Sure, plenty of folks who have crazy haircolours, but as demonstrated, it's not universal, nor natural

Though...

Some Gallentean official
Jeanelle, Gallentean merc
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2010, 08:04 by Seriphyn »

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2010, 11:35 »

Not only are the character pictures caricatures, but consider this also,

does every normal person in our every day life dress like:

the president of your country
a holywood superstar
a crazy singer on world tour?

No, the 0815 new eden citizen does certainly not look like a capsuleer, as little as most people look like pop stars, but a lot strive to do so.