Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Aldrith Shutaq was once court poet and author in the service of the Etranhi Holders on Mishi IV? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Alternative Summit: Think it'll work?  (Read 5212 times)

Benjamin Shepherd

Alternative Summit: Think it'll work?
« on: 31 Jul 2010, 19:45 »

Your thoughts on creating an new "Summit" that may offer alternative pros and cons. A place that isn't pirate-centric.

I'm being limited in words b/c I'd like to see what people think about the idea.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2010, 20:36 by Benjamin Shepherd »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Alternative Summit: Think it'll work?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2010, 19:51 »

What do you mean by 'pirate-centric'?

I'm actually a mod in the Summit. It's open to everyone.

OFC, since quite a few RPers play for pirate factions, you do get a good number in there. It might not be a bad idea to have a place that was more focused on Empire factions for those who want it. I'm just not sure how you would implement that, unless you excluded people who worked for non-empire factions? (Which may well work, ofc. There is precedent for successful channels based on certain membership prerequisites.)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2010, 21:47 »

Hmm. My experience from the days when I actually used that channel did not indicate it was pirate centric, and the recent controversies regarding the Sansha invasion response lead me to believe that it hasn't moved too much in that direction.

Regardless, the reasons I stopped going there had little to do with the factional representation.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2010, 21:52 »

This was tried once before; the channel is called "The Conference". For whatever reason (lack of 'advertising', issues prevalent in the channel, lack of activity period... I wasn't on there for long) the channel is now completely dead. As an interesting side note, the MOTD has been changed from something rather more... colorful to a more or less identical copy of The Summit's MOTD.

Another try would be interesting - perhaps a "learn from your mistakes" thing?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2010, 21:53 »

Perhaps a more heavily moderated alternative?

There would need to be decisions made about what sort of moderation would be appropriate, ofc.

Koronakesh

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2010, 22:00 »

Another channel with elevator music for people to say hello to each other, then stare balefully for hours on end? What can go wrong?

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2010, 22:14 »

Best of luck to you.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2010, 23:06 »

It is more so the nature of the people who frequent The Summit tend to be extroverts. In my experience, the vast majority of loyalists I see stick to their own circles and never stick their neck out.

If anything, I consider The Summit a stepping stone when the people don't have a circle to be reclusive in. I could hazard to say maybe most pirates in The Summit don't have a circle, which may be backed up by my complete lack of knowledge past a handful of entities.

Consequentially I am not sure what an Empire-centric new 'summit' will achieve aside from excluding a brand of extroverts.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2010, 23:09 »

Well, if someone creates an alternative, it isn't automatically going to be exclusionary. My bad for using the word 'excluding' before, but I think we should see what the ideas are.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2010, 23:12 »

Well, if someone creates an alternative, it isn't automatically going to be exclusionary. My bad for using the word 'excluding' before, but I think we should see what the ideas are.

Well that's my impression when he mentions 'not pirate centric'. If it's not going to exclude pirates, then what is he going to say when pirates 'take over' the channel?
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2010, 23:26 »

I think one reason the Loyalists stay out of the Summit, is given their internal dialogue and RP, there are very few realistic reason why they would want to interact and converse with people that their characters would see as criminals and undesirables. It breaks their immersion and their story arc.

I try to take Gottii out to the occasional pirate bar, just because I like interacting with the greater EVE RP community and Ive got a lot of non-EM friends I like to RP with. 

But, to do so, Ive had to work in some (rather reaching) RP reasons why a guy who spends his life supporting a Faction and fighting criminals and pirates would want to converse and drink with the very same people he views as enemies.

Its not really about being extroverted or introverted, I think, its just differing brands of RP and storylines. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #11 on: 01 Aug 2010, 02:18 »

Its not really about being extroverted or introverted, I think, its just differing brands of RP and storylines. 

This. Also, I didn't mean to say "pirate-centric"; that's not true at all. I was referring to the only alternatives other than the Summit: The Last Gate, The Skyhook. I think there's a pro-Federation one as well that Seriphyn has.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #12 on: 01 Aug 2010, 02:30 »

There may well be quite a few alternatives that simply aren't well publicized too.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #13 on: 01 Aug 2010, 03:21 »

what is "the summit" for?

Motd said "diplomacy and debate". I've recently used it in diplomacy (of a sort). Debate less so.

Mostly ,it tends towards soapboxing and mudslinging.

What would the alternative things be for?
\o/

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #14 on: 01 Aug 2010, 12:22 »

I tend to see the same few characters actively use the Summit for (usually) personal conversations. Imagine 40 holograms in a circle, and two on either side were chatting about their love life. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just not appropriate for the Summit imo.

What I was thinking about is this place that also has holograms, but encourages and (to a point) enforces actual debates. It would be a weekly thing, during the time most people are online, and well-advertised on the IGS a week in advance, with updates about it to encourage people. These discussions could run for an hour, and be wide and varied. The difference between this FTL channel and the Summit is that debates would be conducted in a professional setting.

It seems like it would compete with the Summit, but that's not my plan. In fact, I'm not even sure if I or someone else will make the channel.
Pages: [1] 2 3