Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Frentix is a very powerful painkiller?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Amarr Cultural Roots (split from 'Everyone RPs Gallente')  (Read 7568 times)

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
Re: Amarr Cultural Roots (split from 'Everyone RPs Gallente')
« Reply #30 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:44 »

Not only TonyGisms, but also stuff that was plain wrong. Like some sources stating that Heideran VII was Kador (correct) and some mentioning that he was Tash-Murkon (incorrect). Some sources stating that the Privy Council was five people, when the Kiss of the Soul has eleven or so people in the session. Stuff happening in wrong order. (Federation founding date.) Things that are no longer current and/or hinting at things that never became realized (Tierijev being a Caldari system). I think there's a changelog in the thread.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #31 on: 13 Aug 2010, 13:05 »

....Tierijev being a Caldari system....

:cry:  :bash:
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #32 on: 22 Aug 2010, 11:38 »

Quote from: GoGo Yubari
I do wonder about the highest echelon of Amarrian nobility though who are likely to look at the Emperor in a very different light (ie. as the highest achievable position in their power politics)... sometimes I wonder if the religion is less personally relevant and more politically minded to them as a means to power and of control over the populace. At least I think this should be a more commonly occurring character type than it is (than again, players primarily choose an Amarrian to play a religious zealot so perhaps it is not surprising).

I feel the same way.  At the highest level power/politics intersection, I feel religion is probably way down at the bottom of the priority list, and it is in actuality mostly realpolitik going on - but always with the public religiosity at the same time.   Unfortunately that sort of thing would be extremely hard to get across IC; any True Amarr expressing a lack of religiosity publicly would certainly be ostracized.

A similar example I can think of is religion in American Politics. A large number of the high-level players aren't in reality overtly religious or even into 'traditional family values', but it's a required public display of those things that is the cost of entry in order to be a player at those levels, especially when dealing with the public.

But similar to the Amarr, one would never know which individuals actually believe it and which are merely going through the motions for public appearance. It would be a very difficult trait to develop IC as you couldn't exactly tell a lot of people about it, and certainly not any other characters that were not Amarrian.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #33 on: 22 Aug 2010, 22:11 »

I've been wondering about the link between Christianity and the Amarr faith.

The core tenet of Christianity is that God is Love, but this is something that is seemingly missing from the Amarr religion. I've been developing an Amarr religious character who believes that Slavery is an abomination of faith - something that is fairly evident in Catholicism, but I can't really use Catholicism to justify this character's beliefs.

Or can I?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #34 on: 22 Aug 2010, 22:46 »

Catholicism was the basic religion that is the ancestor to the Amarrian one.

Technically speaking.

It is so far back in history and its mutated so much I doubt anything of the original texts exist anymore. Or they're heresy if they do.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2010, 22:49 by Ghost Hunter »
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 23 Aug 2010, 05:21 »

Some history: Roughly 4300 years ago the people who lived in Palestine worshipped, amongst other gods, a god named El, whose domain was the sky. Some parts of the Old Testament do also use El as the name of the Jewish (and therefore Christian) God.

Connection to EVE: 4300 years vs. little over 20000 years. It doesn't really matter that much what the original church was. Scientology might be a bit far-fetched, though.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #36 on: 23 Aug 2010, 06:02 »

I think this is an interesting parallel, but wouldn't the difference between those two analogies be record keeping technology? It's easy to maintain consistency in a religion once you have some kind of official record.

For example, the Torah was written while the Hebrews were in exile in Babylon, and has stayed pretty much the same in the 2800 years since. Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume, with more advanced methods of record keeping, that there would be some element that was the same.

Or was this destroyed by the EVE gate collapse?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm curious.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #37 on: 23 Aug 2010, 07:00 »

The causes of inconsistency in religion go far beyond record-keeping problems. And I say that as a religious person. ;)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #38 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:37 »

I've been wondering about the link between Christianity and the Amarr faith.

The core tenet of Christianity is that God is Love, but this is something that is seemingly missing from the Amarr religion. I've been developing an Amarr religious character who believes that Slavery is an abomination of faith - something that is fairly evident in Catholicism, but I can't really use Catholicism to justify this character's beliefs.

Or can I?

Yes.

there are a number of things, ingame and in background, describing arguments amongst the religious people regarding slavery.

One thing is the "Secret Stairway", which is a group of people that help slaves run away. Interestingly, they are at least as fanatical about religion as the pro-slavery people tend to be.

It all depends on the various sects interpretation of the Scripture.

There are a number of passages mentioning things like love and compassion as well.
\o/

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 24 Aug 2010, 03:33 »

Well, the Amarrians do the whole slavery thing out of love.

That's one of the good parts about EVE, it works in similar ways that real world does.

Let's take xenophobia of the Amarrians for an example.

It's source is not fear of change, it is the fact that they know that all the other cultures are inferior, therefore mixing with them would be a waste of time.

Similar mechanisms are working in the real world all the time.

It is called nationalism.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
« Reply #40 on: 04 Sep 2010, 14:33 »

Who runs the 'secret stairway'?  How can I find out more about that?
Pages: 1 2 [3]