Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

All male members of the Ardishapur family traditionally have their right hand amputated? See why you don't make the Emperor's mother angry.

Author Topic: Backstage view on roleplay  (Read 2093 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Backstage view on roleplay
« on: 02 Sep 2010, 11:52 »

Something that came up on a recent thread, that was kind of a side topic, but I think was worth looking at was a question about "Backstage's View On Things".

I don't believe there is such a thing. People have wildly different views on a lot of things, and I do not see how it would be possible to group them, except in the most vague ways.

Similarly, I don't think it would be possible to group all the people at Chatsubo or other venues either.
Probably not even IGS.

What are your thoughts about it?
\o/

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
Re: Backstage view on roleplay
« Reply #1 on: 02 Sep 2010, 12:11 »

Same, Louella. Such attempts at ideological segregation are arbitrary and futile.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #2 on: 02 Sep 2010, 12:19 »

I vehemently disagree.

Backstage clearly believes that roleplay exists.

Those bastards.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 02 Sep 2010, 12:22 »

Hell, even our view on what roleplay includes will vary widely from member to member (and that was self-evident long before the recent discussions).

I agree with Louella, and I'll go a step further and say that such attempts sometimes reflect an effort by the categorizer to push his own views. "All those Backstage people are like X, so you see why Y is necessary," or variants thereof. In other cases, of course, it may stem from misunderstandings of various sorts.

The Cosmopolite

• Lord of Misrule
  • Wetgraver
    • eve-chatsubo OOC Forums
« Reply #4 on: 02 Sep 2010, 13:03 »

I agree it's pretty absurd and I've always said so.

Cosmo

Usagi Tsukino

• Wetgraver
  • Fail RPer; Doing It Wrong.
    • Usagi's Seldom Updated Twitter Account
« Reply #5 on: 02 Sep 2010, 14:22 »

The only difference I've noticed between the two boards is that this one looks nicer (sorry Cosmo), it gets more traffic, the moderation is stricter (again, sorry Cosmo) and it doesn't make my McAfee Site Adviser turn red.

ArrPee is ArrPee isn't it?

Stimulus :: Multispectacular
<3 Gurista raised, Caldari Navy trained, Bacchanalian alt. <3
Chaotic Dreams | An IC Blog Experiment

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 02 Sep 2010, 16:21 »

We are not a congress to vote on rules, nor are we a jury to pass judgement.

We're a means to meet, discuss concepts among ourselves, and have fun.

While we may find that common opinions are shared between many of the members, this shouldn't mean that anyone else should be forced to accept these opinions, nor should these opinions be presented as speaking for the entirety of the backstage community.

At least, in my opinion anyway.  :P
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #7 on: 02 Sep 2010, 18:30 »

I think the reason backstage isn't dead is quite simply because of the sheer differences in opinion. If everyone agreed enough that there could be a 'backstage view' on anything, there would be nothing to discuss.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #8 on: 02 Sep 2010, 19:07 »

I think the reason backstage isn't dead is quite simply because of the sheer differences in opinion. If everyone agreed enough that there could be a 'backstage view' on anything, there would be nothing to discuss.

Isn't that the truth. Long live the argumentative mind?

A tad less jokingly, I'll have to agree with the OP, Cosmo and others. I'm not sure what this came about from, but to claim such is rather silly and provenly false anyway.

deMangler

• Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 03 Sep 2010, 03:09 »

I have only been on Backstage for only a short time, chatsubo for maybe nine months or so. Seems to me both forums contain pretty much the same mix of views to varying degrees, expressed variously.
If there is anything like a collective 'view' or position that could be said to be held by either of the forums I cannot see it.
Some of the, often very polarised arguments seem to me to be about vapour, others seem to be agreeing but unwilling to accept the fact, some seem to have adequatly expressed their view to the extent that both sides should be able to easily see the reasons why they disagree yet stilll the arguments continue.
I guess that agreement is not part of the purpose of the forums for a lot of people - and why should it be?
Very interesting forums indeed, both of them.
I fine bunch of people, RPers, in general and on these forums. A pleasure to be counted among you. And a pleasure to disagree with a lot of you too!
:)
IC -: LS-RP
-------------------
OOC -: