Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Grown on a terrestrial world in the Harroule system, the Dryweed plant has fragile, yellowish leaves that burn very slowly, giving off a pleasant vapor that is known to have a soothing effect when inhaled.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Sexism in Gaming  (Read 11748 times)

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
Re: Sexism in Gaming
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jan 2014, 23:35 »

I know I call people "hon" more often myself.  Only once I do that is it ever reciprocated from those people or others who witness that I use the term and don't care, so I've seen that as something more bridging in dialogues than a separation, at least in my own experience.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #61 on: 28 Jan 2014, 04:00 »

Well if we're throwing out the dictionary, what do you think "sexism" means?

Most '-ism' are defined as power + prejudice. Sexism, racism, and heteronormativity are all sociological terms but dictionaries rarely reflect what the words mean in in sociological/academic writing.

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #62 on: 28 Jan 2014, 04:58 »

Also putting that here for great prejudice  :P

Soo...In Skyrim the girl almost immediately obtains her objective from the cave, where the guy goes round in circles like a headless nooblet for 3 and a half hours trying to find the same thing?
Or was that not the point?  :P

(in fairness, in Daggerfall wandering around dungeons like a headless nooblet for hours - sometimes days - on end was my MO.  Also forgetting to use the mark/recall spell. d'oh.  :bash: Less opportunity to get properly lost in Skyrim's caves)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #63 on: 28 Jan 2014, 05:28 »

I have never met a woman who's spent $876 on pants in one trip to the mall. According to this, the average woman spends $1,069 on clothing a year (not counting shoes).
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #64 on: 28 Jan 2014, 06:27 »

Also putting that here for great prejudice  :P

Soo...In Skyrim the girl almost immediately obtains her objective from the cave, where the guy goes round in circles like a headless nooblet for 3 and a half hours trying to find the same thing?
Or was that not the point?  :P

(in fairness, in Daggerfall wandering around dungeons like a headless nooblet for hours - sometimes days - on end was my MO.  Also forgetting to use the mark/recall spell. d'oh.  :bash: Less opportunity to get properly lost in Skyrim's caves)

So, you mean women are better fleet members?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #65 on: 28 Jan 2014, 10:00 »

I remember missing Daggerfall immensely, and then finally getting it to "work" on a newer machine.  Yay!

.. nowaitnowait the mobs move on the internal clock!

... owowowowow*dead*

Lyn Farel

« Reply #66 on: 28 Jan 2014, 15:40 »

Most '-ism' are defined as power + prejudice.

Capital-ism ? Commun-ism ?  :P

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #67 on: 28 Jan 2014, 17:25 »

Most '-ism' are defined as power + prejudice.

Capital-ism ? Commun-ism ?  :P

Plagiarism?

Opportunism?

... Prism?

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #68 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:45 »

The questions:

1. What is your opinion on girl gamers?

2. After finding out an opponent or teammate is the opposite gender, do you feel different about them?

3. Do you feel gamer girls are their own clique within gamers as a whole?

4. Do you feel there is a rivalry or alliance between the genders in the gaming community?

5. Do you feel sexism is an issue, and if so, have you experienced it?

1. I don't have an opinion. A gamer is a gamer, and if you're a gamer then you're a friend of mine.

2. Nope.

3. Not really. But as I am not a female, it would be hard to determine as I am not an "insider."

4. There probably is, but if so I wouldn't know. I think such a thing is stupid and don't hang around groups where such a thing would exist.

5. I feel in certain gaming communities it may be an issue. For example, all those fantasy games that have ads with female magicians dressed in skintight suits with breasts big enough to break their spines. I think the sexualization of females in video games is stupid and extremely cliche. It is one of the reasons I love EVE, though. In a sense, it feels more meritocratic in that gender (in the long run) isn't important in EVE...at least, from what my experience in the game says anyway.
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #69 on: 03 Feb 2014, 23:55 »

The questions are clearly geared toward misogyny, not sexism in it's totality.   The tone seems to presuppose sexism only goes one way.  Even if not intentially malicious such presuppositions could be considered a subtle and perhaps even subconcious form of misandristic sexism.
This. The questions are slanted in favor of only one gender by the way it asks about sexism and female gamers specifically.

Misandry is largely a joke, and frankly the concept itself is typically used as tool of traditional sexism. On any societal, metacultural, or hierarchical level, sexism indeed does only go one way. Only in a strict dictionary definition can sexism be thought to go both ways.
Misandrist. Given your answers in the questionnaire I'd theorize there may be a personal issue or condition with you that renders you unable to see any sexism against men, but because I don''t know you I'm not going to explore that option to much. Regardless, if you are going to claim that misandry is a joke or don't exist I will need some good arguments, otherwise I'll just have to write you off as some sexist and leave you at that.

... wow the dictionary don't even catch misandrist or misandry as words even. What.the.actual.fuck.  :evil:

@ Lyn Farel: Given your answer to the 4th question I'd point out something regarding Anita Sarkeesian, but I already did that in the tread about equality so if you want to respond re. A. Sarkeesian that's the place to do so.

As for this questionnaire itself I'll give it some thinking over and maybe I'll pitch in later on.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #70 on: 04 Feb 2014, 01:30 »

@ Lyn Farel: Given your answer to the 4th question I'd point out something regarding Anita Sarkeesian, but I already did that in the tread about equality so if you want to respond re. A. Sarkeesian that's the place to do so.

Can be summarised thus: "I disagree with the message. I must shoot the messenger."

On the topic of importance, there has been some absolute horse crap spouted about misandry from both side, but the absolute king of all bullshit points is claiming so unilaterally that feminists care nothing about men's troubles.

Well firstly, most people who make that assertion have almost always never gone to the effort of talking about the topic to a feminist. I spend a great deal of time with feminists, I live with one who herself heads up a feminist group and participates in others. Whenever I bring up, and I do, the subject of how men are affected by gender stereotyping, I am never rebuffed, derided or dismissed, or at least not yet. But bringing up the topic of women and gender stereotyping with so-called men's advocates, the exact opposite. I am rebuffed, called everything from "effete Jessie" to "f***ing faggot" and generally attacked for holding a different view.

On a side-note, one of my favourite little quasi-historical applause buttons to look at in that regard is the old "women get the vote but didn't fight in wars! Unfair!" Well putting aside the fact that the statement is a wholesale lie, some people clearly missed the memo that women weren't allowed to fight in the same capacity as men. Legally forbidden. In fact pretty much until recent times, having women on the frontline in conventional warfare was rare in the extreme, and most nations will not allow them into frontline combat units. But aside from that, taking an example from this country and the war that is most used as reference, WW2, women contributed an incredible amount to the victory. I mean, for starters they kept industry going, and kept food growing and administered the huge war machine in action. And even though they were forbidden from even joining the regular services, a great number volunteered to be dropped behind enemy lines on some of the most dangerous missions of the war. More than one died in appalling conditions having been captured by the enemy. As I said, it's only recently that women are being allowed into the proper frontline units of conventional warfare, so for someone to say that women want to have their cake and eat it, have power and no responsibility re. Not fighting in war, that's as stupid as sitting down to play chess, making no moves and declaring checkmate.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 01:32 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #71 on: 04 Feb 2014, 03:29 »

The questions are clearly geared toward misogyny, not sexism in it's totality.   The tone seems to presuppose sexism only goes one way.  Even if not intentially malicious such presuppositions could be considered a subtle and perhaps even subconcious form of misandristic sexism.

This is why I am not going to answer the questionnaire, for the record.

As a male victim of sexism in this very game by this very community, I'll simply state that yes it does exist.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #72 on: 04 Feb 2014, 04:06 »

1. What is your opinion on girl gamers?
Some are rancid mentally challenged cunts, some are extremely awesome peeps. Really no different from the dudes.

2. After finding out an opponent or teammate is the opposite gender, do you feel different about them?
Fuck no.

3. Do you feel gamer girls are their own clique within gamers as a whole?
Meh. Some like to clique, some don't.

4. Do you feel there is a rivalry or alliance between the genders in the gaming community?
Eh, I guess there is always the childish pricks and cunts going for this but generally I'd say no.

5. Do you feel sexism is an issue, and if so, have you experienced it?
M'yeah all sort of socially challenged neckbeards like to sperg at girls. It's why we can't have nice things. Sometimes chicks work the angle themselves for their benefit. It's a two way street, and relatively busy one at that too.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #73 on: 04 Feb 2014, 06:13 »

Can be summarised thus: "I disagree with the message. I must shoot the messenger."
Come on you can do better than to try and tell me what I actually mean and think as if I don't know that better than you do. Don't be dishonest.

There are parts of A. Sarkeesian's message I agree with. But that don't excuse all the things I take issue with. Regardless, take this to the other topic.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #74 on: 04 Feb 2014, 07:44 »

No one is going to answer that questionnaire with anything other than socially acceptable responses. On one hand, it's good that so many of us feel that way, but on the other hand, it makes the questionnaire a bit useless.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6