Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Khanid and Sansha ships were originally half lasers half missiles split ships?

Author Topic: DUST and FW  (Read 1628 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
DUST and FW
« on: 22 Jun 2011, 00:08 »

Not 100% where this goes as it covers both story and mechancis but...

Link
Quote from: CCP Dropbear
Justin Michael
Will DUST 514 help to revamp Faction Warfare? Or actually start to become a part of a player based storyline of a sort?
>> Speaking purely in storyline terms, it's hard to imagine the storyline of FW remaining static amidst the developments that DUST will bring. I'm confident there will be some development to reflect the changes that will eventually take place, but the scope and timeframe on that is unknown right now. EVE's upcoming third novel Templar One will also revisit some of the FW storyline that TonyG brought out in his first novel, The Empyrean Age. Some familiar faces, and so on.

In regards to the in-game feature itself, I can safely say that it's something the designers are already well aware needs some love.

Link
Seriphyn Inhonores
You have stated your desire to have players influence the storyline. Factional Warfare is one way to do this...I notice that the storyline of DUST 514 is based around FW, so, do you thus plan to give FW an overhaul to fit in with the new DUST mechanic?

>> There was a similar question asked by Justin Michael, which addresses this in part. I can't speak to mechanics changes since I'm not involved in that, but the storyline (as a whole, not just regarding FW) will evolve with the advent of DUST. DUST itself is not really "based around FW" as you say, either - it encompasses a much broader story. There might be some overlap and touching points, but really it involves a lot more of EVE's background than just inter-empire conflict.
Take for example, the fact that DUST Mercs are hired by capsuleers to serve capsuleer interests. Not really a FW-related thing at all, but a central concept to DUST. Honestly, it's more about the capsuleers than anyone or anything else.  8)

In terms of story, looks like the War will be shifting up a gear. In terms of mechanics, it looks as if FW will have no integration with DUST, just like PI didn't (ie. I can build all I want on New Caldari Prime, or a Black Rise planet)

Tamur

• Clonejack
Re: DUST and FW
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2011, 05:58 »

Speaking purely in storyline terms, it's hard to imagine the storyline of FW remaining static amidst the developments that DUST will bring. I'm confident there will be some development to reflect the changes that will eventually take place, but the scope and timeframe on that is unknown right now. EVE's upcoming third novel Templar One will also revisit some of the FW storyline that TonyG brought out in his first novel, The Empyrean Age. Some familiar faces, and so on.

... DUST itself is not really "based around FW" as you say, either - it encompasses a much broader story. There might be some overlap and touching points, but really it involves a lot more of EVE's background than just inter-empire conflict.
Take for example, the fact that DUST Mercs are hired by capsuleers to serve capsuleer interests. Not really a FW-related thing at all, but a central concept to DUST. Honestly, it's more about the capsuleers than anyone or anything else.  8)
Does this sound like another way of saying that DUST is completely based on the changes that Templar One will introduce to the backstory?

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2011, 06:29 »

Probably the other way. There are some awesome changes to the back story, and then TonyG must figure out an awesome way to explain how those changes happen. And it's going to be awesome. And I mean "awesome" as in ":awesome:".

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2011, 07:58 »

Well, that's just what we need.  :roll:

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 13:59 by Laerise [PIE] »

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2011, 12:47 »

Well that sucks.