Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Slavers hunt by jumping high in the air and coming down on their prey from above?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So are any role players standing for CSM?  (Read 2650 times)

Richard Masseri

• Aditipala, Kacha
  • Clonejack
So are any role players standing for CSM?
« on: 25 Mar 2014, 06:45 »

So I glanced across the list of CSM candidates the other day, a couple of names I recognised caught my eye but none from the RP community I'm hoping I just missed them. So basically yeah is there someone who does RP who is standing or maybe even someone who has a little interest in that direction. Who should I vote for when the poles open? (As some of you know I'm still pretty new e.g. only been playing EVE about a year and a quarter so all information is greatly appreciated)
Richard Masseri

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: So are any role players standing for CSM?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2014, 06:50 »

Roland Cassidy.

He's not standing on a purely RP campaign, but he frequents OOC and Summit and intends to argue for lore things.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2014, 08:31 »

What Sami said. Vote for Roland, because I said so.

Bayushi Tamago

• Lady of Many Faces
  • Clonejack
    • Threaded Pixels
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2014, 10:41 »

I have actually considered running for CSM a few times, but since they changed to the space-likes nomination system, I have no idea how to get in on it anymore.

Richard Masseri

• Aditipala, Kacha
  • Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2014, 17:32 »

Ok so I will definitely read up on this Roland Cassidy guy thank you.
Richard Masseri

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2014, 22:21 »

Looks like a solid overall candidate.  His intro got me thinking about the utility (as a game mechanic) of sov as a whole...

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2014, 03:15 »

I've thought about it multiple times, but I don't see any practical way to make it happen without sucking a rather great deal of nullsec cock.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2014, 07:37 »

I've thought about it, but I think I need to get things sorted out with my real life further, before I can commit to anything like that.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2014, 11:21 »

Honestly, his only real discussion of lore is in terms of 'players leaving a mark' and 'the CFC is larger than the Amarr Empire!' -- so, really, he sounds like a fairly conventional CFC candidate.

I definitely do like the idea of having players have more presence in the lore due to their activity and what their factions do-- but I'm not sure I want a CFC candidate pushing along that path, because sooner or later it'll turn into fofofofofo 7o.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2014, 20:19 »

'the CFC is larger than the Amarr Empire!'

The CFC has sov over more systems than the Amarr Empire.  It is one metric.  It is similar to saying Canada is larger than the United States.   ;)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2014, 21:42 »

'the CFC is larger than the Amarr Empire!'

The CFC has sov over more systems than the Amarr Empire.  It is one metric.  It is similar to saying Canada is larger than the United States.   ;)

It also is a flawed comparison, because the CFC is a coalition, while the Amarr Empire is an alliance. A more appropriate comparison would be Goonswarm Federation to the Amarr Empire, or the Clusterfuck Coalition to the Empire-Mandate-Kingdom coalition (might even include the State in there).

Regardless, just because Roland hasn't put a ton of RP stuff in his campaign thread, doesn't mean he's not a good choice. He frequents OOC and has been asking people there what RP things they'd like to press for. And he's certainly better than any of the other candidates. The CFC thing isn't a factor at all, someone being CFC doesn't make them a bad pick simply for being CFC.

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:46 »

Samira has hit the nail on the head.  Roland is a decent candidate IMO, I have others placed above him in my order of preference, but Roland makes the top three mainly due to being genuine, not putting on false airs about rp and realising he cannot be a single topic candidate if he is to stand any chance of getting in. 

The very nature of the CSM makes those that wish to be on it suspect due to 'politician' in my eyes, but his realism with a demonstrated interest in opinion polling in person (rather than running a blog/campaign site and trying make US go to HIM to give info) is a nice change from recent trends in the CSM metagame. 

So he is a viable candidate IMO, the rest is up to how closely his values marry with yours - never vote for someone who says they want what you want.  Vote for someone who will tell you what he wants first, and see if you have some common ground - it is the landscape of ideals that segregates the constituents in EVE, not the arbitrary carving up of land that we have IRL.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2014, 04:01 »

Samira has hit the nail on the head.  Roland is a decent candidate IMO, I have others placed above him in my order of preference, but Roland makes the top three mainly due to being genuine, not putting on false airs about rp and realising he cannot be a single topic candidate if he is to stand any chance of getting in. 

The very nature of the CSM makes those that wish to be on it suspect due to 'politician' in my eyes, but his realism with a demonstrated interest in opinion polling in person (rather than running a blog/campaign site and trying make US go to HIM to give info) is a nice change from recent trends in the CSM metagame. 

So he is a viable candidate IMO, the rest is up to how closely his values marry with yours - never vote for someone who says they want what you want.  Vote for someone who will tell you what he wants first, and see if you have some common ground - it is the landscape of ideals that segregates the constituents in EVE, not the arbitrary carving up of land that we have IRL.

This is something that all should take to heart when they are in the business of participating in democratic processes.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Joshua Foiritain

• Serpentis Loyalist
  • Wetgraver
    • Coreli Corporation Mainframe
« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2014, 05:57 »

I'm curious; If you had to make a list of top 5 RP related things in eve you would like to see changed/added what would they be?

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #14 on: 27 Mar 2014, 07:43 »

Good question, Joshua.  Here goes:

1. Behind the curtain details of Stations/Outposts - In non-capsuleer stations, what are the divisions between capsuleer and non-capsuleer areas?  Similarly, do capsuleers walk among the masses in outposts?  Is it up to the owners?  A chronicle about an investigative journalist travelling various stations to provide examples (rather vthan definitive statements) would be nice. 

2. Quarterly Chronicles - either from staff or sourced from the player-base.  Making them quarterly should take stress off of the community team as they don't have to turn them out at the rate they used to. 

3. Some form of yearly 'state of the cluster' wrap up piece (fiction presented as non-fiction) would be nice.  CCP keep playing the 'capsuleers are becoming more willful and free' stance - let's have some form of charting of that and other aspects of this transition from mortal to immortal led society. 

4. Live events on a much smaller scale.  No announcement 'local channel' events were one of the most fun things I encountered in Exodus.  I'd like this local feel to events again.  When every event is a cluster sweeping hurrah that comes to nothing in 'reality' it gets stale fast.  If I wanted 'sweeping' I'd dedicate time to living in and killing null alliances and empires. 

5. Evidence of bipartisan story generation.  Have event writers sit on both sides of a potential conflict and generate material from both sides.  Biased narrative is all well and good but there needs to be more transparency in how CCP arbitrate live events and RP in general.  For example, Colelie was a suicidal disatser from the moment it started, for the Republic.  There seems to be little evidence of a writer going 'would they really do this?'  Escalating tension doesn't need to be all dreadnoughts and titans.  We're educated people for the most part - null-scale demonstrations of power are an expression of hard power at the top of our ability.  We understand that planet killing firepower doesn't need to be wheeled out when a national leader dies, sometimes small skirmishes or covert 'grab the suspect from a prison indy' style events are just that much more believable. 

That's my big five really.  Mostly focussed on narrative and process changes as I do not feel any false entitlement to demand story direction changes. 
Pages: [1] 2