Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your clones have your DNA, but not until you've been in them a while? For more information see the Cloning Scientific Article

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Spies, exploits, and sleepers, Oh my!  (Read 5528 times)

Streya

• Egger
Re: Spies, exploits, and sleepers, Oh my!
« Reply #45 on: 08 Feb 2014, 06:04 »

I'm not sure when Istvaan entered the conversation.

that's why he's good at it, lol

but no, the point was, that this comes up every time someone's RP corporation has spies, theft, or other betrayal. "cool kids" get to do whatever, "uncool kids" get pushed out of the community entirely. There's like a dozen or so threads about it on backstage.

Ninja insertion!  :yar:

Perhaps there is a double-standard. I think the reason the "cool kids" get away with it is because they simply can't be stopped. Because they're so good at what they do you'll never find any watermarks or clues that it's them messing with you and your corporation. It's easy to golf clap whenever you're not the victim, but even easier to golf clap when nobody even has a clue it's happening in the first place. And like I said, there's a definite difference in attitude between people like Istvaan and people like Orion. Orion's case felt more like he was simply butthurt and wanted to take things and do some harm before he left. What makes that "uncool" IMO is that he wasn't willing to be open about not having fun where he was and simply leave on good terms. It's the difference between a disgruntled employee and government agency spy: the latter has Hollywood appeal while the former hardly makes local newspaper headlines.

Is there a double-standard? Probably, but I can sort of understand where it comes from </rant>

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #46 on: 08 Feb 2014, 06:15 »

Also, everyone knows Istvaan is a corp thief and a spy.  He doesn't USE Istvaan for those purposes, because no one in their right mind would let him into their corp.

I have no problem with Orion OOC, but damned if I'm going to knowingly let him into any corp I've got a say in keeping him out.  Just like I wouldn't let Istvaan in.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #47 on: 08 Feb 2014, 07:17 »

This may be a little off topic and yes I recognise that this is Eve and that it (corp theft / spying) is part of the game play. But how do you stop yourself becoming totally paranoid about recruits?

A corp of mine suffered a theft a long time ago and I was never able to trust anyone enough after that to give anyone permissions to anything major, which lead to the corps collapse as no-one got to do want they wanted to do.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #48 on: 08 Feb 2014, 07:24 »

Have a decent recruiting process and never let them have access to your main assets.  Have a very, very few number of highly trusted individuals that have access to the things they NEED, but not necessarily everything they WANT.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #49 on: 08 Feb 2014, 07:30 »

Pretty much what Tiberious said. We have a separate SMA for the absolute vitals needed for core operations with restricted access. If worst comes to worst we can keep going.

At the end of the day you just have to go out on a limb and trust people, both in EVE and real life. Any functioning group or society works on trust. Unity Gain, and stuff.

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #50 on: 08 Feb 2014, 08:12 »

This may be a little off topic and yes I recognise that this is Eve and that it (corp theft / spying) is part of the game play. But how do you stop yourself becoming totally paranoid about recruits?

A corp of mine suffered a theft a long time ago and I was never able to trust anyone enough after that to give anyone permissions to anything major, which lead to the corps collapse as no-one got to do want they wanted to do.

A decent recruitment process including background research, a fistful of common sense, and a core of people that you trust (enough).

If you can't get that then you're SOL. The (admittedly awful) comic that CAD did a while back of a gestapo style interview for corporate applications isn't far off. It's just about how well you hide it.

As for Orion, nothing really to say but I told you so.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #51 on: 12 Feb 2014, 14:36 »

Todays patch notes seem relevant.

Also, earlier in the month, I received a reply to a question to the GMs, about a game mechanic, and the reply contained information that I know is factually incorrect.
\o/

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #52 on: 12 Feb 2014, 15:06 »

Also, earlier in the month, I received a reply to a question to the GMs, about a game mechanic, and the reply contained information that I know is factually incorrect.

GMs in not knowing game mechanics non-shock. Escalate to a senior GM. You're more likely to get an informed answer.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #53 on: 12 Feb 2014, 16:14 »

GMs in not knowing game mechanics non-shock. Escalate to a senior GM. You're more likely to get an informed answer.

This.

Also woo, indirect mention in the patch notes \o/

« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2014, 07:13 by Saede Riordan »
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #54 on: 12 Feb 2014, 17:02 »

So, where is it written in the patch note ?  :s

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #55 on: 12 Feb 2014, 17:04 »

Patch notes for EVE Online: Rubicon 1.1.8
Released on Wednesday, February 12th 2014
FIXES

Sleepers

Sleeper craft have received much needed sensor upgrades and can now detect and process threats across great distances. They’re watching you. Always.
    Sleeper reinforcement protocols have been improved to reduce unsightly clustering.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #56 on: 12 Feb 2014, 20:03 »

Reddit was so confused about this, it was kind of funny. A whole bunch of people asking if this meant sleepers were going to start hotdropping POSes out of the blue (alas, no, as it would be awesome).
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #57 on: 12 Feb 2014, 23:34 »

Reddit was so confused about this, it was kind of funny. A whole bunch of people asking if this meant sleepers were going to start hotdropping POSes out of the blue (alas, no, as it would be awesome).

Effectively turning wormholes into the best RP spots ever.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Mebrithiel

• My main is my falcon alt ♥
  • Egger
  • A wild Meb approaches!
    • Blood Inquisition
« Reply #58 on: 20 Feb 2014, 08:57 »

Oh my, well this was interesting and possibly some of the best rp drama for a while ^_^

♥ Sae :cube:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]