Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

As part of its political goal to make the State stronger economically, Lai Dai is the primary supporter of the School of Applied Knowledge. Check out more here!

Author Topic: Stargates and stuff  (Read 1671 times)

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
Stargates and stuff
« on: 18 Nov 2013, 15:09 »

Coming soon. Well, SoonTM.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Stargates and stuff
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2013, 15:40 »

It will matter entirely where these can be built.

If you can only build them in null, then fail on launch.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2013, 15:57 »

This sounds super fun, can't wait.

IF, and that's a big IF, the usual suspects don't get insider information, corner the component supply market, and bogart supplies until patch launch and construct this stuff on day 1.

I'm imagining a tsunami of butthurt of biblical proportions when general population finds out null alliance X with CCP employees coincidentally is first to build stargate and colonize new new eden.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2013, 15:58 »

"You must have epic implants to access this zone."

this kind of... doesn't seem right.
\o/

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2013, 16:02 »

"You must have epic implants to access this zone."

this kind of... doesn't seem right.

Gotta complete the attunement quests, duh.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2013, 18:56 »

Warp speed factors into ability to use the fancy new gates. Sort of makes sense. vOv

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2013, 20:30 »

Little early to be speculating yet I think.  It really is just a restatement and slightly more detailed peek into what they talked about at fanfest.

That said, maybe it will be a difficult to reach, super-free and sparsely populated solo'ers paradise. 

I want to believe.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2013, 02:26 »

It will matter entirely where these can be built.

If you can only build them in null, then fail on launch.

This

But i feel he is just talking about this stuff beacause he had to say about something...

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2013, 13:38 »

1) Build a stargate to Master Kuvakei
2) Kill him
3) ???
4) End sansha incursions, make Shaktipats your eternal debtors, profit.

Otherwise, all that mystery is confusing the hell out of me.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2013, 14:02 »

I do wonder what they'll have out in the dark, and I'm hoping we'll be able to do exploration without stargates-- y'know, launch a 'cynosural probe' to a nearby star, light the beacon after it travels however long. If we assume 12 AU/S steady, it's ~89 minutes per light year. New Eden's stars are sort of, uh, a bit too close together, but we can easily assume a probe would hit its destination within a few hours.

I suspect that the Donner Party reference involves one-way trips into barren systems, or systems with cyno inhibitors, and so on. I wouldn't doubt that we'll be entering another mausoleum, and that CCP'll have a lot of fun with the existing abandoned infrastructure and system effects.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2013, 14:09 »

I do wonder what they'll have out in the dark, and I'm hoping we'll be able to do exploration without stargates-- y'know, launch a 'cynosural probe' to a nearby star, light the beacon after it travels however long. If we assume 12 AU/S steady, it's ~89 minutes per light year. New Eden's stars are sort of, uh, a bit too close together, but we can easily assume a probe would hit its destination within a few hours.

I suspect that the Donner Party reference involves one-way trips into barren systems, or systems with cyno inhibitors, and so on. I wouldn't doubt that we'll be entering another mausoleum, and that CCP'll have a lot of fun with the existing abandoned infrastructure and system effects.

One-Way trips would be an inspired game design decision.  They won't have the guts.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2013, 14:22 »

It already happens in wormholes, if you fail to bookmark the entry hole and don't have probes.

I'm thinking-- what if it's a system-wide cynosural jammer, preventing outbound jumps? Big, nasty PvE target surrounded by the effective equivalent of Sleeper capitals -- something that a couple of carriers and a Rorqual could never hope to handle.

If jumping into the dark happens before we can build gates, I suspect early exploration will be a grave for capital ships.

Friggin' -awesome- if this is anything near the mark.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2013, 14:29 »

To really hammer in the 'new unexplored frontier' they really should figure out ways to make it adventurous, dangerous, and extremely difficult to 'return' back to the safety of New Eden.

I'm always a fan of making these mechanics more punishing to encourage real decision making and consequences.

Off the top of my head I'd make the portals one-way only.  You can send stuff in, you can't send stuff out. If anything can be shipped out, perhaps only inanimate resources, but no ships and definitely no pods.

Everything starts from scratch, and you build up from there.  Allow players tiny manufacturing in these areas to create new ships that slowly, slowly, slowly scale up.

Make the new environments extremely dynamic and suitable for specific ship types to start.

Maybe only small ships and Industrials with the pirate implants can go through the portal? Maybe after some huge huge resource investment a tiny factory can be produced to make more sophisticated ships.

The idea would be to create a new frontier that harkens back to eve 10 years ago.  Desolate, sparse, and NOT full of big expensive ships.  Bring the resource and power creep down to 0 again and start over.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2013, 14:37 »

Definitely like the idea of it being desolate, with a heavy element of, "I made it."

Vast tracts of barren systems, or systems that are untapped (with a dynamic system for resources? Split sec status and resources, so that sec status is fixed, but resource status slowly trends down as resources are extracted? So that massive finds are actually worthwhile, but eventually them thar hills o' gold are tapped?), with the occasional discovery of pockets of dead civilizations?

As an aside, if you've never read the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey, do so! New authors operating jointly under a pen name. It's brilliant stuff!