Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The command division of the Angel Cartel is called the Dominations.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Substitution  (Read 5200 times)

Vincent Pryce

Re: Substitution
« Reply #15 on: 03 May 2013, 10:33 »

Awesome stuff :)

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2013, 10:41 »

Judging from the face shapes and the merge between the hair and the neural cables, it looks like the Capsuleer is supposed to be the woman, not the man. Hm.
I noticed, yes. His pose is also a rough mirror image of hers. Subtle things, couldn't even say if it was intentional, but it's there. I liked it.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 03 May 2013, 13:28 »

Yeah, capsuleerhood sucks ass. Combine this with comic, it kinda sums up Aldy's view on being a demi-god of destruction:

Still haven't forgiven that old bastard...

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2013, 14:42 »

Do you have the reddit link for that image Graelyn?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2013, 15:09 »

Do you have the reddit link for that image Graelyn?

http://miles-johnston.deviantart.com/art/Substitution-312546128 is the artist's own page on deviant art.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/14lcxc/perhaps_a_sad_reality_of_the_future/ is a link on reddit, where the artist says " I leave the true meaning of the picture open to the viewer"
\o/

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2013, 19:37 »

Actually, I see another posibility.

A capsuleer, dreaming of what could have been. Godhood is never cheap.
This.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 06 May 2013, 12:16 »

Poor Aldy.  Cursed with the burden of a sword, as well as the burden of shampoo commerical worthy hair.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #22 on: 06 May 2013, 12:54 »

Poor Aldy.  Cursed with the burden of a sword, as well as the burden of shampoo commerical worthy hair.

And the dread god of the Amarr said,  "Behold, I have put My servant among you with his lustrous locks which will be a beacon of hope for those who know not the Glory of Cleansing Most Thorough and Conditioner Most Divine."

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #23 on: 06 May 2013, 17:53 »

Actually, I see another posibility.

A capsuleer, dreaming of what could have been. Godhood is never cheap.

That was my immediate reading.

Vikarion

« Reply #24 on: 06 May 2013, 23:07 »

Yeah, capsuleerhood sucks ass.

Ok. Hands up, now. Let's play.

I give you one of two choices, answer honestly.

1. Normal human life. Possibility that you'll live or die according to the whimsy of time and fate before you desire to, and you will certainly face oblivion within one hundred years. In the meantime, you'll be subject to disease, injury, and all the other vagaries of human existence, including mental and physical degeneration. You are almost certainly not wealthy, and are largely limited to certain areas and professions by the restraints of time, social expectations, and economics.

2. Near-immortality as a real-world DUSTie, with hardware similar to that in the setting, re-cloning you and copying your brain-state whenever you die or desire a new body. You can't have children, and you can't relate to anyone, but you'll live until you can no longer be copied, which is, as far as can be determined, indefinitely. You can go and do as you will, because you are fucking rich.

Pick one.

Oh, and here's two last little thoughts to keep you awake at night: the human brain appears to be completely mechanistic, which means that there is almost certainly no soul to lose. If scientists place monitors on a subject's brain in the lab, they find that people actually make a decision to do something well before the person in question actually believes they have made a decision. We are almost certainly, at least in some sense, clockwork entities. And, ten years ago, you consisted of just about none of the molecules that now make up your body. You are a completely different person, in a very real way, if we wish to compare the current you to the past you. In fact, we can't even say that the configuration of the atoms is all that similar, save on the most macro of scales. So, for the sake of the question, let's not pretend that you're losing a soul - if it can manage to cope with the above, it can handle a little cloning.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2013, 23:09 by Vikarion »

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 07 May 2013, 00:03 »

Two words: existential crisis.

Humans aren't meant to live forever. Nor are they meant to die multiple times, which brings us to another term:

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Nope.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #26 on: 07 May 2013, 00:17 »

Yeah, capsuleerhood sucks ass.

1. Normal human life. Possibility that you'll live or die according to the whimsy of time and fate before you desire to, and you will certainly face oblivion within one hundred years. In the meantime, you'll be subject to disease, injury, and all the other vagaries of human existence, including mental and physical degeneration. You are almost certainly not wealthy, and are largely limited to certain areas and professions by the restraints of time, social expectations, and economics.

CHOSEN.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #27 on: 07 May 2013, 01:48 »

Don't need to be a capsuleer or a DUSTie to enjoy the benefits of cloning and advanced medical technology neither, as far as I'm aware.

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #28 on: 07 May 2013, 02:44 »

1 all the way. The whole package, with toothaches, orgasms, pain, joy and death at the end.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth

Vikarion

« Reply #29 on: 07 May 2013, 03:58 »

Wow, really? I must be the odd one in the gene pool, then. Good to know.

As for existential crises, I respect them, but I don't accept them as a permanent fact. Life might be absurd, pointless, undefinable, and cruel. I'm even willing to agree with Camus, somewhat, and say that the first question is "shall I commit suicide today?" But, really, isn't that just an even better reason to seek as much enjoyment and pleasure as one can out of it? Hell, even rage, spite, and hatred are wonderful reasons to propel oneself out of bed every morning.

I enjoy the experiences of living far too much to want to let it go, especially the intellectual ones. You could give me ten thousand years and I still wouldn't be bored. Trust me, I can schedule what I'd be doing. I'd take option 2 in a heartbeat.

There are millions of books I'm never going to have the time to read. Millions of things I'll never get to learn. I'd love to have doctorates in astronomy, physics, math, engineering, history, and about thirty other subjects I have neither the time or money to pursue. And that's just scholastically. I'd like to play through every RPG I own with every potential character build. I'd like to keep writing until I can actually produce something good. Hell, give me time and I would actually bother to go backpacking and sleep under the stars again.

I simply don't have enough time. I watch movies or read while I play computer games, because I can, I enjoy it, and it provides a maximum of information inflow. I listen to audio books on philosophy (currently working on Arendt), science, and history during work, whenever I am working on something that doesn't take much concentration.

I'm not afraid of the pain leading up to death, particularly, or even afraid of death. But, when I examine my own life, I find so much enjoyment in learning, in thought, in positive and negative emotions, even in the experience of pain, that I find the idea of welcoming an eventual end to it pretty abhorrent. It's not even so much a worry about the dissolution of "I", as the fact that this particular organization of atoms has managed - if I do say so myself - to be a fairly intelligent, not-too-serious entity that really loves discovering reality as it is. I am biased, of course, but I don't see why it is a good thing that that should ever end. Extrapolating from that, I don't see why others would want to ever end, either. But, apparently, they do, and who is this particular peculiar arrangement to question that?

I'm not in denial about it. I don't believe in any gods, in any afterlife, or in anything spiritual at all. I'm skeptical of the idea of the transcendent. But if offered immortality and/or transcendence to some higher plane of existence, or even a much-prolonged life? Yeah, I'd take it. Without a second thought.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4