Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That each of the five empires technically has an equal say in all CONCORD matters? Read more in the Chronicle.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Supercap balancing  (Read 4223 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Supercap balancing
« on: 11 Jul 2012, 16:23 »

There are fundamental 'problems' that have remained unresolved and have propagated over the years without being addressed, stacking issue upon issue to everyone's detriment.

For example just to throw a few out there, bot-mining, wealth-creep to absurd levels, ridiculous proliferation of extremely rare and powerful ships without game-design means to limit their use and numbers, abandonment of story progression, that sort of thing.

To be fair: CCP certainly has made significant attempts to deal with bots (though they have more to do), they've nerfed supercaps a few times, story progression has ebbed and flowed at various times, and they've continued trying to manage the economy.

We can certainly discuss whether their efforts have worked, but that's not the same as saying that they haven't made any.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2012, 18:57 by Casiella »

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
Re: Re: On veterans and bitterness
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2012, 03:34 »

There are fundamental 'problems' that have remained unresolved and have propagated over the years without being addressed, stacking issue upon issue to everyone's detriment.

For example just to throw a few out there, bot-mining, wealth-creep to absurd levels, ridiculous proliferation of extremely rare and powerful ships without game-design means to limit their use and numbers, abandonment of story progression, that sort of thing.

To be fair: CCP certainly has made significant attempts to deal with bots (though they have more to do), they've nerfed supercaps a few times, story progression has ebbed and flowed at various times, and they've continued trying to manage the economy.

We can certainly discuss whether their efforts have worked, but that's not the same as saying that they haven't made any.

~900 titans in game.  Just sayin.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2012, 10:53 »

What are you going to do about numbers though? Start deleting them from the game with 'glitches'? Nerf them so they have no weapons at all?

What would you do if you were CCP? Realistically.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2012, 11:59 »

What are you going to do about numbers though? Start deleting them from the game with 'glitches'? Nerf them so they have no weapons at all?

What would you do if you were CCP? Realistically.

Tell you what I'd do ...

Give Titan pilots an alternative (suicide overload mode) to self destruct that allowed them to ramp up their reactors to super critical levels to vaporize other titans or outposts in single coherent beams of obliteration (at the cost of their own ships going nova a minute later.) ((Wrecked outposts would still have lasting presence in space as smoldering rubble where anyone could access to grab the stuff from their hangers into the cargo holds of current ship / board stored ships))

Raise the stakes to truly brutal levels of destruction and give the ability for dying titans to lash out and take others down with them. Make 0.0 fights the kind of all or nothing slugfests where trillions get lost in hours and the alliances begin to struggle to reship supercaps.

That kind of thing really.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2012, 12:10 »

What Jade said.  Make them less immortal.  If they died more often there would be less of them.  When CCP released them they never envisioned more than a dozen or so of them in game.  Now everyone and their brother has one stashed somewhere.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2012, 12:12 »

What Jade said.  Make them less immortal.  If they died more often there would be less of them.  When CCP released them they never envisioned more than a dozen or so of them in game.  Now everyone and their brother has one stashed somewhere.

lowsec pirate bridging ftw :)

But yes one of the main problems with the game. They haven't figured out a fundamental way to deal with inflation and too many valuable things floating around.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2012, 17:36 »

Just pointing out that we are getting fairly off topic here and more into the dark and murky area of Null-Sec balancing *shiver*

However I just want to throw my support behind Jade's idea - I want moar dead titans and the fact that player built stations are indestructible has annoyed me perpetually ever since I found out about it.
The only thing I would have to add however is that if a Titan does over-load zap a station like that, then while its in a wrecked form there is a potential to rebuild it instead of it just becoming another Malkalen station....

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2012, 18:10 »

Just pointing out that we are getting fairly off topic here and more into the dark and murky area of Null-Sec balancing *shiver*

Yus. Nullsec/supercap balancing deserves its own thread. :)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2012, 18:25 »

Tell you what I'd do ...

Give Titan pilots an alternative (suicide overload mode) to self destruct that allowed them to ramp up their reactors to super critical levels to vaporize other titans or outposts in single coherent beams of obliteration (at the cost of their own ships going nova a minute later.) ((Wrecked outposts would still have lasting presence in space as smoldering rubble where anyone could access to grab the stuff from their hangers into the cargo holds of current ship / board stored ships))

Raise the stakes to truly brutal levels of destruction and give the ability for dying titans to lash out and take others down with them. Make 0.0 fights the kind of all or nothing slugfests where trillions get lost in hours and the alliances begin to struggle to reship supercaps.

That kind of thing really.

Cui bono

Casiella

• Demigod
Re: Supercap balancing
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2012, 18:58 »

[mod]Nothing wrong here at all, just splitting this thread as it's getting kind of interesting and I don't want it to get lost in the other discussion. Carry on![/mod]

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2012, 21:48 »

Highly risk averse people would stop bringing their supercaps to the fights. They would just be used as expensive taxis. This might actually throw the balance off even farther - those with enough supers to guarantee victory (PL, et al) would have no concern fielding them, because no one else would be willing to lose their supers fighting them.

/devils advocate

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2012, 22:41 »

If I were CCP I would start introducing upkeep costs for supercapitals. Daily upkeep costs as/more expensive than a large POS would be acceptable for moms, and even more for Titans. Since I don't hear anyone else talking about this fairly simple idea I assume it's a bad one for some reason.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2012, 23:17 »

Upkeep doesn't really matter to the "big alliances."  They have sufficient moon goo income to not really care.

Maybe create a vulnerability for Super-Capitals that makes Frigates down right terrifying to them.

Classic Star Wars Ep 4 - Death Star Trench Run style vulnerability.   I don't know what that would be, but it would make hotdropping a gate without support a horrible idea.  "PL is hotdropping 20 titans on this gate! Quick tell anyone with an Inty, time to open them up!"

Perhaps another option is to break down the ship into target-able subsystems (maybe for all Capitals).  The opportunity to make the ships "dead-in-the-water" could be interesting.

Just spit balling.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2012, 09:42 »

Upkeep doesn't really matter to the "big alliances."  They have sufficient moon goo income to not really care.

Maybe create a vulnerability for Super-Capitals that makes Frigates down right terrifying to them.

Classic Star Wars Ep 4 - Death Star Trench Run style vulnerability.   I don't know what that would be, but it would make hotdropping a gate without support a horrible idea.  "PL is hotdropping 20 titans on this gate! Quick tell anyone with an Inty, time to open them up!"

Perhaps another option is to break down the ship into target-able subsystems (maybe for all Capitals).  The opportunity to make the ships "dead-in-the-water" could be interesting.

Just spit balling.

Targetable Jump Drive and other subsystems, "CEPTORS, TAKE OUT THAT JUMP DRIVE!" that can only be targeted by frigate sized hulls? Perhaps they can only be repped by a fragile frigate sized logistics ship?

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jul 2012, 10:13 »

If I were CCP I would start introducing upkeep costs for supercapitals. Daily upkeep costs as/more expensive than a large POS would be acceptable for moms, and even more for Titans. Since I don't hear anyone else talking about this fairly simple idea I assume it's a bad one for some reason.

All that would do is prevent anyone but the large rich alliances from owning them, further stratifying the levels of ownership. 
Pages: [1] 2 3