Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ship crews either spend most of their journey in their escape pods, and are awoken with adrenaline only as needed?(Source: The Burning Life novel by CCP Abraxas.) or live aboard ship much like ship's crews today? (Source)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Local Comms: Smacktalk, Trolling, and the occasional well pointed barb  (Read 4865 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

This is a subject that has been coming up lately with a few IC and OOC pilots I know.

I generally find the whole thing fascinating; the range and quality of smacktalk, its effect on pilots, and its ability to sometimes throw people so off and into a rage as to make mistakes and suffer for it.

For every "GF" given or handed out we can always expect 8,000% more general shit talking and posturing.

People don't like losing ships, people don't like being embarrassed.  People like to talk a big game as soon as the odds are in their favor.  People have short memories.

Being a "Pirate" these last few years I've noticed a marked increase in ferocity and nastiness in local comms in my direction. I never cease to be amazed how rage-inducing losing one's spaceship can be to generate this behavior.

Do any of you participate in this sort of thing? Do you enjoy ribbing people in local and harvesting bitter tears in return? Or have you been guilty of losing something and resorted to raging in local?  Let's hear it :)

I used to have an extremely tight 'no talking in local, ever' policy for myself and my fleets, as I used to find it distracting, and then doubly embarrassing if someone under my command talks shit only to explode spectacularly seconds later.

This has loosened up over the years, I like giving out 'GF's when it was a fun fight, the enemy is well-mannered, and keeping it light in local when I can. 

I will absolutely troll pvpers when they are gunshy despite knowing the odds.

I think TSF has had some experience with this lately, with one of their new ooc neighbors being absolute sore losers and trying to troll them as RPers for days on end, only to be met with wonderful TSF win  :)

This brings me to the absolute greatest experience one can have in EVE, IMO. 

Catching someone who smacktalks you, killing them, and sending them on the pod express home.  There is no higher joy.

Bit of a rant but curious on some of your thoughts.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette

My favorite moment is after the fight, when the losing smack talkers suddenly go silent.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

My favorite moment is after the fight, when the losing smack talkers suddenly go silent.

When this happens you can almost feel the rage through the silence

Lyn Farel

That's partly because of that kind of things that I lost faith in humanity long ago. Among several other things.

Edit : however I have to admit that it's quite satisfying to kill a guy in ishkur that has been insulting/trolling you for hours in your local Providence belt, or to instakill and podkill a smacktalker in FW in rifter with an artycane.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2013, 13:45 by Lyn Farel »

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !

The first ship I lost in lowsec, in solo pvp, after my pod warped away the dialogue went like this :

"Me : Arf ^^
Pirate : gf :)
Me : thanks for the lesson :)"

And I've tried to maintain this attitude. I'm probably not a good example : I don't pvp very often, I'm not good at it. If I were to rage every time I lose a ship I would be little more than an incoherent bubbling ball of spite.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

The first ship I lost in lowsec, in solo pvp, after my pod warped away the dialogue went like this :

"Me : Arf ^^
Pirate : gf :)
Me : thanks for the lesson :)"

And I've tried to maintain this attitude. I'm probably not a good example : I don't pvp very often, I'm not good at it. If I were to rage every time I lose a ship I would be little more than an incoherent bubbling ball of spite.

You are a great example of a positive attitude, more of you please :)

My first trip into low went pretty much exactly the same way, my Noob Maller with t1 guns tried to solo a HAC. Did not end well :)

Secret Shame: I've kept a watchlist for nearly all of the early people who killed me, going for like 7 years.  Someday they will be podded and have -no idea- why :)

Creep

• Omelette

I've never indulged in smacktalk. "GF", "Yarr", "Nice kill", "almost got me", and of course, "damn your dps/tank/speed is sexy what's your secret?".

I receive a great deal of smack back. Mostly it's just 'fuck off' when I try and ransom, but sometimes they accuse me of solo-camping stations/gates, 'get a real ship', etc. Faggot, whore, cunt, and pussy are all popular.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I've never indulged in smacktalk. "GF", "Yarr", "Nice kill", "almost got me", and of course, "damn your dps/tank/speed is sexy what's your secret?".

I receive a great deal of smack back. Mostly it's just 'fuck off' when I try and ransom, but sometimes they accuse me of solo-camping stations/gates, 'get a real ship', etc. Faggot, whore, cunt, and pussy are all popular.

Yea I always love how blowing up someone's spaceship translates to  I'm a raging cock hungry faggot. News to me!  Always funny though.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

[16:12:10] Kalaratiri > gf
[16:12:31] Damar Rocarion > gf implies respect. I dont respect you
[16:12:45] Kalaratiri > don't worry, its mutual ^_^

I'm not above replying to a particularly hilarious bit of smack. He was flying a dishonour hookbill, scram, web, ecm, tracking disruptor, ab and an armour tank. Evil little blighter, which I managed to kill with a 10mn rail catalyst after he missed every single jam.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who fits ecm on a non-bonused hull needs smacking.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Vincent Pryce

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who fits ecm on a non-bonused hull needs smacking.

Hehe you'd be smacking a lot of folks. There's a trend to use your armour bc mids for just that among some pirate entities.

As for the topic. I rarely smack. Sometimes I put on my wizard hat on and go all yarrpea on them. It confuses them.

Nothing is quite as funny as putting a smacker in their place tho.

Desiderya

Tbh, the smack-attitude is something I really dislike about EVE or the internet in general. There are many people who are a good sport about winning and losing. The sizeable party of the dimwitted smacktalking guys with attitude problem is just so vocal, which taints quite a lot of the community. Which also makes it the most satisfying thing you can do, killing them. Repeatedly. Offer a polite 'gf' in local, and see it filled with rage.

Shiori

Space bushido requires excruciating politeness whenever manageable, and silence when it isn't. A sincere thank-you after a fight is always appropriate, whether it is for the pretty explosion or for the ammunition spent on you.

Creep

• Omelette

Yea I always love how blowing up someone's spaceship translates to  I'm a raging cock hungry faggot. News to me!  Always funny though.
I cop a guilty plea to the cock-hungry bit, but I am no whore! Just what kind of boy do they think I am?

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

I've had one non-fleet fight, which involved an intercepter kicking my ass. I discovered he didn't loot my stuff so when I saw him in a system later, I thanked him for the fight. He didn't respond.

PvP terrifies me. I kinda hate it. Smacktalk would require me to write when my brain has shrunk down to lizard level.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I've had one non-fleet fight, which involved an intercepter kicking my ass. I discovered he didn't loot my stuff so when I saw him in a system later, I thanked him for the fight. He didn't respond.

PvP terrifies me. I kinda hate it. Smacktalk would require me to write when my brain has shrunk down to lizard level.

Pro Smacktalkers do their work -before- actually ever undocking, silly rabbit :P

Pages: [1] 2 3