Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Mindflood, a sedative booster, is taken by pouring liquid from a vial onto a cloth, placing it over one's mouth, and inhaling the fumes? (The Burning Life p 38)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: CCP Says: Ingame RP actions have ingame consequences, mkay?  (Read 21839 times)

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."

So it is possible to be -10'ed by a CCP actor, but is it possible to be +10'ed? :3
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
-OOChé

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

Okay, so after a chat with Jev on Slack I realize 'railroading' may not be the exact right term.

My issue is, the consequences seem to be intended to nudge the player characters towards the general opinion of viewing CONCORD as unavoidably hostile followed by a refusal to the vast arsenal of tools at CONCORD's disposal to secure the item (locking down capsuleer ships to they cannot move or fire, simply nabbing the item from a hangar as they've done with other high-value items in the past).

I'm afraid this is being done to enforce the narrative of 'established authorities losing control' - a narrative I've made my (low) opinion of clear elsewhere - by making CONCORD an enforced enemy in contrast to their previously-established nature as a worrisome, but necessary institution populated by politically astute persons as befitting such an organization.

You know "walk softly and carry a big stick"? Well, CONCORD's problem right now is that they walk loudly, carry a big stick, but refuse to swing it.

Def.: railroading
A term describing the process of forcing the player characters in a Role-Playing Game to complete a certain task before continuing the adventure.
"The GM has subtely instructed us to go to this town before we can finish the damn story. I bet he received a Masters Degree in Railroading."
(Source: Urban Dictionary)

Given that the message says pretty much: "Do it or we will set you (and not-really-involved-people-who-can't-do-a-thing-about-it) on -10 and nick it from your hangar." there seems very little choice involved. Also, given the time-frame of 24 hours there really was no time to explore any alternatives through RP. Not even whether there are any alternatives.

Pretty much falls under "forcing the player characters in a Role-Playing Game to complete a certain task" to me.

Lyn Farel

Well if they can indeed remove items from the hangar anyway, then it's railroading... If not, then it's a choice between standing penalty + keeping the item, or giving the item away.

Jev North

• Egger

The fun part here is that you and Esna believed this to be railroading for exactly the opposite reasons.
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

Vizage

• Egger

This is amazing! I feel bad that its happening but I really hope this is the first of many acts of CCP actually having DED flex their muscles.

Its been so disheartening seeing such little done by the supposed "Overwatch" of all of New Eden so much so that they've often used as humorous anecdotes on impotency.

As for railroading, I'm kinda sitting on a Yes and No. To me railroading has always been an act that steps well into the OOC realm. I.e. Like the example of Urban Dictionary, the GM will not continue the adventure until "Go to Tavern A" is completed. CCP's approach here is a bit more nuanced. That is to say they are keeping the consequences of refusal entirely IC. Meaning failure to turn over the body will result in Outlaw status. This to me is very different from the kind of railroading a GM could do in DnD. I.E. Crossing his arms and basically freezing the game world untill "Tavern A" is reached.

To me this is a very cause/effect, choice/consequence move by CCP. The story continues regardless of which choice is made. It just may not continue the way you like it.

I personally think this is awesome. I'd much rather have more of this than less even if sometimes it steps on toes. Again, I do feel bad that a heavy price is being laid out for failure to comply. But coming from a political background, this is exactly what I like to see when when cooperation with larger entities is rebuffed. It's draconic don't get me wrong, but in many ways it's a RealPolitik move and a cool one at that.

Honestly I'm more interested to see what happens next, and what ever does you can be sure a few players have made a legacy here with this.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain

I would say no to railroading. CCP is giving two options, A - hand over the remains and keep good standings with our overlords or B - Do the opposite and face the consequences. I am very pleased to have been responded to every one of my mails sent out to officials, both responses were different and dynamic.

Its very good to see this type of support. Boo and Hiss might just cause such future initiatives to be shelved because of OOC issues. Never argue with the DM  :lol:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I think the ccp devs know where they want to end up and are stacking the 'choices' in that direction, which is perfectly fine for 'plot.'  As long as there is wiggle room for capsuleers to say 'no' and face consequences this all seems good to me.

Give them the choice, and write two different outcomes, let the chips fall where they may.

Super + good for this sort of thing in general, regardless of if the current story is any good or not.  One of these stories will eventually be good and you'll be happy to have this sort of interaction established!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
\o/

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

This is pretty amazing.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

It's cool.

At the same time, 'boo' for them targeting Scherezad and slapping a 25 PLEX bounty on her. She did turn over all the samples she had.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Vizage

• Egger

Yeah I dunno why they are going after Schere, she's literally the nicest person in New Eden. That's like going after Mr. Rogers or something....

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette

25 PLEX bounties on RPers? Time for us to conspire and get free subscriptions for each other!

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain

“abhorrent anti-authoritarian display of personal pride”

This is one of the worst political science phrases I've ever read in my life.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9