Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Scagga once had a bodyguard by the name of 'cuddles'?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Boston Marathon explosions.  (Read 4360 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Boston Marathon explosions.
« Reply #30 on: 19 Apr 2013, 10:49 »

Unprecedented, sure, but you know what's the most impressive part?

People aren't making a fuss about it, they're just doing it.

Boston is dead silent right now for the most part, and there are a lot of really spooky pictures coming out of entirely empty streets that should be packed to the gills with people on a day like today.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 19 Apr 2013, 10:57 »

That's very spooky, but it's admirable as well that people are doing their part to make sure the people that did this heinous act are caught.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #32 on: 19 Apr 2013, 11:25 »

Looks like they got one of the suspects. He was killed in a shootout with police while wearing a bomb strapped to his body. Looks pretty clear cut.

Chechen. Man. Putin must be laughing his ass off. :ugh:

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #33 on: 19 Apr 2013, 11:28 »

I linked these ingame a little while ago, but here are some pages with pictures taken in Boston and the surrounding suburbs.

http://storify.com/gteresa/this-is-not-what-boston-cambridge-rush-hour-usuall

http://storify.com/gteresa/what-it-looked-like-from-inside-the-lockdown
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 19 Apr 2013, 12:28 »

I don't know, does nobody else see the darker side of this? Instead of living on in spite of terrorism, an entire city is shut down because of two guys with guns and makeshift bombs. This is kinda police-stateish if you ask me. A literal army has been deployed to a major US city to hunt down one individual. And people are just being 'do what you have to do'.

This makes me a bit uneasy.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #35 on: 19 Apr 2013, 12:33 »

Eh.

I see what you're getting at, but I'd rather they do what they need to do to make it easier to catch these fuckers. If that means asking people to stay inside and avoid going out, I'm OK with it.

Keep in mind I'm not actually in one of the communities that is on lockdown - where I work is.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Uraniae

• Wetgraver
« Reply #36 on: 19 Apr 2013, 14:51 »

This is more than they would need to do for this though.  No other criminal investigation in modern American history has effectively put a major city under what is quickly turning into martial law.  I don't understand why people aren't making a stink over this.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 19 Apr 2013, 17:47 »

That's exactly what it is is, martial law, but it's the people enforcing it upon themselves which is the most odd part. All the authorities had to do was say 'give the streets to us' and the whole city shuts down. Weird.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 19 Apr 2013, 18:17 »

That's exactly what it is is, martial law, but it's the people enforcing it upon themselves which is the most odd part. All the authorities had to do was say 'give the streets to us' and the whole city shuts down. Weird.

I think it's very human.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 19 Apr 2013, 18:38 »

Quote from: Benjamin Franklin
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 19 Apr 2013, 19:11 »

Looks like they got the other guy alive.

I must admit, I don't terribly understand all this rabble about "asking people to stay inside while a violent guy with bombs and guns is running around = road to no freedoms".
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Uraniae

• Wetgraver
« Reply #41 on: 19 Apr 2013, 21:01 »

I think it is more about the scale of the response and the disruption of daily life that it caused.  I remember all sorts of statements from officials after 9/11 saying things like how school, work, and general life wouldn't stop in the face of just this sort of threat.  How people sheltering in their homes and not doing their usual things was in effect "letting the bad guys win."  People at work were told they couldn't go home.  People at home were told not to go to work.  Door to door searches going on, the stopping and searching of any vehicles attempting to cross the perimeter established inside Watertown.  A perimeter that by and large was apparently being maintained by the national guard so that police assets could be used for searching.  It just seems like a potentially excessive response.

I understand the need for emergency workers and law enforcement to not be hindered in their tasks in responding to this sort of thing.  But in the end, Boston was shut down for a day, major events and individual lives were postponed and delayed.  The economic costs of this shut down are estimated to be close to 300 million dollars.  That is counting the mobilization of national guard assets.  The restriction of civilian traffic both on the ground and in the air.  The closure of air space around Boston and the shipping/travel disruptions stemming from it.  Not to mention the impact on local businesses that can and do conduct local, national, and international business.

All this to catch a 19 year old.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 19 Apr 2013, 22:48 »

In contrast, in February, southern California did not shut-down during the search for Dorner.

Vikarion

« Reply #43 on: 20 Apr 2013, 01:21 »

I told you guys that parts of the U.S. = the Caldari State.   :P

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #44 on: 20 Apr 2013, 01:26 »

In contrast, in February, southern California did not shut-down during the search for Dorner.

And the LAPD went around shooting at Grandma's in trucks.

Frankly, I am okay with the cops going "Hey, shit might get dangerous, please keep yourselves safe"
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4