Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Caldari State is made up of eight mega-corporations and has three major political factions?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Sim City: Utter debacle or Pretty Swell Game?  (Read 4384 times)

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
Sim City: Utter debacle or Pretty Swell Game?
« on: 08 Mar 2013, 22:43 »

Just curious to see who else has been trying to play this game and what your experiences have been with it thus far.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
Re: Sim City: Utter debacle or Pretty Swell Game?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2013, 22:53 »

I'm sure it's both.

Right now, though.... Can't play properly with my friends. Couldn't get into the game for three days after launch... Graphical issues....

Korona

• Friendly Neighborhood Cultist
  • Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 2013, 23:01 »

Boycotting Maxis since Spore and EA after ME 3, so that's a doubly-no here :D

"EoM is an anagram of emo for a reason, dude."

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2013, 23:15 »

Despite being in 'Murricah East Coast, I broke down and played in the Europe West 3 server, and finally managed to have a semblance of a smooth experience.

I really like the idea and concept that no city lives in a vacuum, and the game attempts to reflect that by including multiplayer elements of cooperation with municipal services and competition in global trade of commodities, but in terms of the simulation it feels like it's "SimCity Lite". There were many features that were central to the SimCity franchise that got cut out in the name of "streamlining" i.e. plan your own highway off-ramp locations, tiny plot size, terraforming, etc.

Sure, the much-vaunted Glassbox simulation engine that tracks the activity of every individual sim promises a more "accurate simulation", but it's moot when so many aspects of the game's AI behave like retards. Traffic goes into a standstill even if you spend 75% of your budget on public transport if you commit the crime of having more than 5 intersections in your main arteries. Someone even proved how pants-on-head retarded the traffic AI is by making a city out of one single winding snake road spread out across the lot, and managed to have a successful city because of it because 0 intersections = 0 gridlock. vOv

I really want to like the game and the synergy it promotes, but unfortunately there are many things that need to be done for the game to be a success. The Always-Online system is not necessarily a DRM, but also something in-built to the game that had poorly thought-out execution. It failed to account for the contingency that someone's game would disconnect, and does not have an offline save that could be uploaded to the cloud the next time the player reconnects to the server (Diablo III and StarCraft II had that, at least). EA/Maxis also failed to properly stress test in their popular beta stages, and additionally they were piss poor in their communication to their players when they were attempting to sort out their server woes.

On top of the always-online stuff, the game itself is in need of a significant overhaul. Traffic AI needs to be fixed. The RCI indicator is a lie - after 2 days of playing and finding out that zoning according to the RCI indicator did nothing for my economy, I clicked on my population window and found everything I needed to know in the detail tab. I then decided to ignore everything the game was telling me through RCI and the ingame prompts, and did much better in my subsequent cities. There are just way too many aspects of the game that were either because of poor design decisions and poor execution that kind of border on amateurish.

Somehow, I think that this SimCity 2013 has become a deeply wounding blow to Maxis's reputation. Lots of fanbois will protest and say that Maxis is perfect, and EA is at fault. But I've been observing this game for a long time, and Maxis is just as complicit as EA in this, from the Online Lead being a Maxis staffer to Maxis designers themselves who wanted the always-online concept to begin with. Lots of people who have been playing Maxis games since the 90s have since lost their trust in Maxis, and it can only go downhill from here.

« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2013, 23:16 by Davlos »

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2013, 23:32 »

Boycotting EA for being shit, unless it's a game I -really- want.  Which is very rare.

Hate them for what they did to Maxis, Westwood, and other small startups.  Namely, screw up good production studios, continually put out substandard content that sells more on nostalgia and pretty graphics than real quality of their own.

Fuck EA.

Davlos

• Egger
« Reply #5 on: 08 Mar 2013, 23:49 »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #6 on: 09 Mar 2013, 04:11 »

Just curious to see who else has been trying to play this game and what your experiences have been with it thus far.

The game itself is a good city-emulator, nothing more nothing less, it is exactly what you ask for of a Sim City game.

The way the game's developers have completely underestimated their player-base and how many would want to play the game, and then demanding that you play online 24/7 for some retarded reason I still can't understand however, is utterly... well, retarded. Server stability issues and log-in and connection issues are among the issues you may get trying to just play this game.

In other words, it's a challenge to simply PLAY A GAME YOU PAID GOOD MONEY FOR so long as this goes on and until they have managed to stabilize their servers, you are not to likely to have a good time until they do. To their credit, they have launched more servers it seems and are hard at work fixing their mess, so I am sure they will get there.

Eventually.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 09 Mar 2013, 05:54 »

Doesn't look very beautiful... :/

I hope the game is good besides this. Not that I am very interested in it, but that would be a shame for Maxis.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #8 on: 09 Mar 2013, 06:52 »

Once Will Wright left, I think the statement was made. He saw the writing on the wall.

Since the founders of BioWare have done the same, simultaneously, well...yeah.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Davlos

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 09 Mar 2013, 07:43 »

They're offering to give one free PC game from the EA portfolio.

http://www.ea.com/news/a-simcity-update-and-something-for-your-trouble?websso=1

Somebody's desperate.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 09 Mar 2013, 10:55 »

I think Davlos hit the nail on the head.

Right now my wife and I are playing jointly in a region and building multiple cities that way.  It is frustrating that our saves are reliant on the unstable connection and we worry about losing cities if the connection drops.

Something else worth mentioning is that the tutorial was pretty crappy.  It taught the utter basics of city building, but glossed over/failed to mention how connected the simulation actually is now.  There was no aspect of the tutorial that introduced the trade depot and the import/export mechanics for example, which are critical to enabling players to pursue bigger projects.

Once the servers stabilize, I think it could be interesting to play on a big map with many other players.  However, unlike an FPS or MMO, I think "Looking for Region" play will be less fun than finding a group of 4-6 friends interested in building a nation.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 09 Mar 2013, 17:00 »

This showed up a couple days ago, it may or may not be legit but it's certainly hilarious.
http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=1473

Making SimCity an only-online game basically meant they decided to make "The Sims"-City, rather than an actual sequel to the SimCity franchise. You don't get to play by yourself (well, you can, but it's a bit silly), there's no possibility for a modding community to develop, and if you don't have a good internet connection, you're hosed.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #12 on: 09 Mar 2013, 22:12 »

EA should talk to CCP about being "Fearless", and how well pissing off your playerbase goes over.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2013, 01:51 »

I will wait until a crack is available before buying anything. Not interested in paying money for a game I can't play.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2013, 16:19 »

I bought Tropico 4. It's 9.99 on Steam.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4