Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The last time someone attacked the Jovians, it was the Amarr, at Vak'atioth, and the Amarr fleet was crushed?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Star Wars without Lucas  (Read 5285 times)

Reyd Karris

Re: Star Wars without Lucas
« Reply #30 on: 01 Nov 2012, 14:33 »

That's not to say that they do not create good things here and there, and I envy your optimism on this matter.
To be honest? I'm actually surprised I'm so optimistic. The only reason I'm optimistic, however, is due to Joss Whedon directing Avengers.

The new fanbase is the standard now.
Again, it needs both types of fans. It's something Hollywood still needs to learn, and hopefully Disney's learning it. If they want to diversify, targeting the Star Wars tracked demographic of 18+ boys/men as opposed to the younger boys like Lucas wants (please, dear god don't take that out of context >.<) is the way to go. Meaning, making sure that the older fans aren't going to be whining and complaining on the internet's various social media.

Also, no, I don't work for Disney. Just a little armchair analysis. Feel free to discard. :D

On the bright side, at least NBC Universal didn't buy Lucasfilm; they'd try to turn it into "Twilight with lightsabers, directed by J.J. Abrams and starring people from Lost, Fringe and Alias".

In the words of the Immortal Stan Lee, 'Nuff Said.  :yar:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #31 on: 01 Nov 2012, 18:10 »

Lucas has stated that his target audience for the prequels was children

Yeah, Jar Jar and childish sequences and the queen's wardrobe, all this followed by boring politics, and then by dismemberement and mutilation on a lava planet.

Makes sense, George.  :lol:

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #32 on: 02 Nov 2012, 07:37 »

Although Lucas had previously said that he wasn't going to make any more films the original plan was for there to be nine or ten films in the series and the plots for the extra episodes are still sat in the Lucasfilms safe.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 02 Nov 2012, 11:56 »

We're about 15-20 years too late, but a 'Thrawn' trilogy would probably hit all the right spots for me :)

Then again they could easily make ten or twenty 'old republic' movies based on the old comics as well that would be just dandy :)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 02 Nov 2012, 13:29 »

To be entirely honest, I hope they don't touch the Thrawn trilogy, simply because there isn't a director on Earth that can match Zahn's writing (well, okay, there are a couple, but they're either dead or busy on other projects).

Zahn's got that amazing writer-ey ability to draw out multiple simultaneous plotlines that I just can't see working with the normal flash-boom required to make an adventure movie these days.

Honestly? Leave the extended universe as it has been written alone, please. Lucasarts has already given writers a unique opportunity to write their visions onto the larger tapestry, and we don't need a hamfisted movie running roughshod over them (or worse yet, deciding to emphasize some of the more drama-laden but ridiculous EU stuff out there, *coughcoughNJOcough*).

There's plenty of room to have an entirely new story written within the framework of the galaxy - there are, after all, literally over one million planets in the Republic.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #35 on: 02 Nov 2012, 13:36 »

As much as it is always fine to see novels that I have already read brought to the screen, it is always frustrating/making me nervous when firstly I think that they might suck, and secondly that I already know the story and what will happen instead of discovering everything.

Especially for a SW thing.

Druur Monakh

• Wetgraver
    • Hazardous Goods
« Reply #36 on: 02 Nov 2012, 21:19 »

Warning: Somewhat rambling words below, all loosely orbiting the main point of the thread, and some probably just reiterating what has already been said. But at the same time, what else am I going to do when my evening is earmarked for moving equipment all across New Eden?

I like fiction having endings. Nothing is worse than a story which simply doesn't end. Best are endings where you know that things are still happening, and are going to happen after you close the book, and the author is flatly refusing to tell you. Neil Stephenson likes doing that, and it took me a while to get used to it - but in the end, that's why he's one of my preferred authors.

If Lucas selling to Disney means the we will get stories situated in the Star Wars universe, but not about the Skywalker family plus friends/kids/nieces/old enemies - brilliant! Fresh start, and all that.

I like to relate this to the Star Trek reboot: what JJ Abrams did to the canon - making token amends while behind his back giving it the finger - was long overdue. While I'm no longer active in the Star Trek creative scene, I am keeping loose tabs on it, and the movie reboot did spark a new writing fervor which in the original loosely-canon universe simply wasn't possible.

There is a point in a fictional universe where all relevant stories have been told, and the only remaining choices are a) bury it, or b) restart one similar, but significantly different premise.

Ok, there's always c) milk it to appease shareholders until it's no longer profitable. But I like to think that even executives learn that appearing in the Fortune-10000, and only the Fortune-10000, has long lost its cachet of being 'glamorous'.

As for the concrete outlook of Star Wars under Disney itself, I'm optimistically cautious. "Iron Man" and "The Avengers" have shown me there is hope for the sci-fi/fantasy genre, even in Hollywood hands. I think I'll give SW under Disney two releases to win me over: one to find their footing, the second to deliver.

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #37 on: 03 Nov 2012, 01:36 »

For Timothy Zahn fans out there: link

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 03 Nov 2012, 04:37 »

Haha, funny when you know that he got quite pissed with the franchise when they decided to (warning, spoiler) [spoiler]kill Mara[/spoiler] in their last novel series without even consulting him.

I also find amusing the way he says he would prefer for the next episodes to happen slightly after the Thrawn trilogy if possible. "Nooo don't run roughshod all over my books !" But you know, after your books, there are other books as well... Everything in the EU past RotJ is more or less already existing...

We may like it or not, I don't really like when authors start to reset things and thus create 2 different, parallels variants of the story. That kind of thing is a nightmare.

It's a dilemna for me. I would really like to see ep 7,8,9 in a setting after the Thrawn trilogy, with the new generation as Zahn says since I am already attached to the new generation, but how the hell do you create that in an already framed and existing set of events, without retconing everything ? Small retcons to make things fit, or better, I can cope with and even approve sometimes, but a whole retcon of shitloads of fiction... Well... Some of this fiction is really bad, but other pieces are still good. Would be a shame, and not very respectful to their authors as well.
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2012, 04:40 by Lyn Farel »

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #39 on: 03 Nov 2012, 07:20 »

For all you holding out hope this'll end in anything but tears I present to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jpwznCTWkwE

Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 03 Nov 2012, 13:47 »

For all you holding out hope this'll end in anything but tears I present to you:

Horrible.

Though, they liked taped it before the purchase.

Anyhow, I "acidently" watched a LEGO Star Wars movie and must say, that is possible to make a Star Wars movie for children that also appeals to grown up fans. Of course, there are things you can do in the cartoon setting that does not work with in a "real" one.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #41 on: 03 Nov 2012, 19:28 »

* Seriphyn gags

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #42 on: 03 Nov 2012, 20:23 »

i'm thinking that at some point in the trilogy we're likely to see Chewie shaking his fists at a moon....  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Uraniae

• Wetgraver
« Reply #43 on: 03 Nov 2012, 21:20 »

Of course they could just throw the whole new trilogy idea into the bowels of the spice mines of Kessel and do something similar to the last Star Trek movie.  Cram in a completely new cast and change the whole plot of all established canon that effectively nullifies all existing source material, including the prequel and original trilogy.  The execs always seem to love the idea of "rebooting" a series.

Regardless of what actually gets done, the potential for it to be a steaming pile of bantha poodoo is always there.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 03 Nov 2012, 21:50 »

Maybe Im in the minority here, but I wouldnt mind if they threw out everything post-Endor. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4