Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That travelling to planets takes quite a long time?  For more, read here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Internet Dragons Are Srs Bidnis  (Read 4667 times)

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
Re: Internet Dragons Are Srs Bidnis
« Reply #15 on: 03 Jul 2012, 20:11 »

Actively dodging (making yourself dive and roll in a direction) makes you invulnerable during the animation for reasons like that. So, as long as you're able to start the dodge in time, you'll be okay. I've been with euros and aussies on a US server, and they've all been fine.

Everyone has ranged and melee abilities, so if you're having trouble with latency while being too close, you can change to a ranged weapon and give yourself some distance to have more reaction time.
Will work for pretty sig.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 03 Jul 2012, 21:15 »

I've been with euros and aussies on a US server, and they've all been fine.

Do you get to change servers easily? Or is that a decision you need to make when you sign up?

(Sorry, not used to sharded games where you get a choice)
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #17 on: 03 Jul 2012, 22:18 »

You choose a server at character creation. That will be your home server. You can change to a new home server for a fee. (Or reroll a new character from scratch on a different home server.)

GW2 will let you guest on other servers for free. You just click in your interface and off you go; it only takes a few seconds. You can do everything, including joining guilds, except WvW pvp on the server you are guesting on.

The lore explaining that and WvW is parallel dimensions connected by The Mists - a sort of mix of the raw chaotic potential of creation, the cracks between realities, and the spirit world, including where the dead go for the afterlife. WvW is them fighting on islands of solid reality in The Mists for resources to save their individual worlds from the Elder Dragons.
Will work for pretty sig.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #18 on: 04 Jul 2012, 09:40 »

Finally, a good reason to go to war!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #19 on: 04 Jul 2012, 11:03 »

Thank you Kohiko, very helpful (although I couldn't see the male gladiator... (The female gladiator made me go "Protect your soft bits, any sort of hit to the abdomen and you'll be tripping on intestines! Also, knees! you'll miss them when they're gone.")

for actual soldier/adventurer type persons, such comments are true.

for gladiators though, armour with weird open bits is acceptable, because of the whole "Are You Not Entertained?!?" thing.
Cover up bits that would result in a quick kill (crowds don't want to blink and miss something), leave uncovered bits that are a slow kill (crowds go wild for mortally wounded persons killing things before succumbing), and bits that would result in spectacular maimings, and so on and so forth.
\o/

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #20 on: 08 Jul 2012, 17:05 »

I found this link today while looking around on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx7o7CRoDXc&feature=related

It goes into the economy of the upcoming Guild Wars 2 in more detail. Most of you will probably chuckle at the mention of EVE Online in the begining.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jul 2012, 14:32 »

Found a bunch of screenshots of Sylvari, male and female, all character types.

http://imgur.com/a/0uayi#0

Some of them are really quite good, and none of them look stupidly exposed. I'm rather relieved.
Long pause

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jul 2012, 14:50 »

If only it had TERA's combat...might still get it regardless. Played TERA for two months, hit 60 and realized there was nothing else to do.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 11 Jul 2012, 15:13 »

If only it had TERA's combat...might still get it regardless. Played TERA for two months, hit 60 and realized there was nothing else to do.

TERA? Umm, showing my ignorance, but what's that? And what makes the combat in TERA interesting?

The impression I get of GW combat is that there is signficant potential for player skill to affect combat instead of just character skill, which sounds attractive.
Long pause

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jul 2012, 05:18 »

TERA combat looked indeed interesting. There is nothing really new in itself since it is mostly the same thing than everywhere : skills with countdowns and stuff like that to activate. But, it has its own flavor and different things from what I have seen. The evade system looks definitly interesting and immensely fun to play. Now then, you have pretty much the same evading mechanisms in TSW, but maybe less fluid and more rigid.

What stopped me to even try TERA was its universe. It is cheesy as hell (like a bad tasteless final fantasy, thanks to all the japanese/corean retarded clones of these universes, much like our own fantasy/MMOs are retarded clones of Tolkien). And most of all, even by watching mere videos I felt constantly sexually agressed, at every second.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #25 on: 12 Jul 2012, 09:29 »

TERA combat is outright hack-n-slash, with no lock-on. It can be said to have similarities to a third-person game. GW2 is half-way between lock-on combat and what TERA is. This video has a look at it.

That's about the whole unique point about TERA, unfortunately.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #26 on: 12 Jul 2012, 09:44 »

Well, that and stripperific outfits.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 12 Jul 2012, 13:55 »

TERA combat is outright hack-n-slash, with no lock-on. It can be said to have similarities to a third-person game. GW2 is half-way between lock-on combat and what TERA is. This video has a look at it.

That's about the whole unique point about TERA, unfortunately.

Thanks for that Seri. I imagine that makes it much more vulnerable to lag/high ping times?

And seconding the stripperific outfits comment...
Long pause

Lyn Farel

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jul 2012, 16:34 »

Even conventionnal MMOs are unplayable with latency. I do not see much of a difference personnally. When your countdowns and specials start to activate 2-5 sec after you ordered them, when half of them get lost in the void between the client and the server due to lag, well...

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jul 2012, 16:39 »

If your latency and packet loss are that bad, you have problems way beyond MMORPGs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4