Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Myrhial Arkenath was born and raised on Saisio III? Read more here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The Secret World  (Read 4549 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #45 on: 17 Jul 2012, 04:03 »

Even the name would fit better for a Hello Kitty kind of childrens game than a horrorisque MMORPG.

I always though 'Lovecraft' would be a great name for the author of a children's series.

Or the owner of a chain of sex shops.

Selling macramé bondage gear and Cthulhoid gimp masks.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #46 on: 18 Jul 2012, 16:59 »

I had a very brief look at this during the Beta. My gf was trying it out and played it a fair bit, while I just made a character and looked over her shoulder. I liked the setting and some of the departures from the traditional quest types were neat. On the other hand, the combat didn't appeal at all and I just didn't see the point of it being an MMO. What are the other people on the server for, exactly? Just to ruin any sense of immersion? I think the setting and the ideas that underpin the game would have been better served by a single player game. Ultimately: not buying and not subbing. I might revisit it when it goes free to play.

As an aside, the MMO trope of endlessly respawning monsters standing around waiting for you to aggro them just doesn't cut it in 2012, does it? Can't someone come up with something a bit less blatant and gamey?
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]