Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That light pits, used to hold ships in place, are filled with complex electronic equipment, have no safety boundaries, and are lit with a dim blue light when not in use? (The Burning Life p. 77)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Secret World  (Read 4551 times)

Graanvlokkie

Re: The Secret World
« Reply #30 on: 05 Jul 2012, 07:20 »

Is there anything sandboxy about this game, or is it just another single player game that happens to have other players in it?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #31 on: 05 Jul 2012, 07:36 »

Is there anything sandboxy about this game, or is it just another single player game that happens to have other players in it?

Singleplayer MMO. Usual kind. Apparently it's got the usual launch issues. Weird bugs and progress halting stuff. My room-mate just ragequit after a particular quest bugged yet again. Something about White Ravens. He's livid, heh.

Desiderya

« Reply #32 on: 05 Jul 2012, 08:42 »

Not much sandboxy, aside from the horizontal progression.

@Launch Problems
Chat has still problems with loosing subscribed channels ( you have to manually re-add them ) when you zone, which is extremely annoying. Aside from that I'd put it down under 'minor inconvenciences', such as a few missions with bugs ( the one with the white ravens is one of them, it is only solvable if you've already done it / have someone with you who knows, which is especially annoying for an investigation mission. ;) ), however I wouldn't call it "progress halting". Lag, rubberbanding, login troubles etc are things that are apparently not happening ( and no, the government doesn't hush it up ;) ).

Considering that it is Funcom who made this game I would say they're over their reputation regarding "Horrible launches". This is, however, my personal experience, including my social sphere and the forums.

About ragequitting: The forums have seen someone throw a fit because some people want the option to have smaller boobs on their avatars. His response is delicious forum rage. Add the usual threads about how "this game won't make it" because the OP dislikes it and you got your regular launch enviroment. Haters hate, fanboys are gathering to the thread-rescue and the majority simply plays. :D

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 05 Jul 2012, 08:47 »

I'd say it was Dame but he's not that legible.

Edit: As far as jubblies and mammaries go, they seem kind of nice in this game. There ought to be options for smaller ones, sure, but the current ones are fairly standard funbags aren't they?
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2012, 08:49 by Mizhara »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 05 Jul 2012, 10:47 »

Well for now I am crashing all 15 min randomly. Apparently, cpu memory issues, the report log tells me to try to upgrade to 64 bits. 32 bits installs are not worth playing or something ?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 05 Jul 2012, 10:49 »

This is one of the few games on the market optimized for 64bits. I wouldn't have it any other way. Finally we're leaving behind the inferior hardware shite enforced on us by consoletards.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #36 on: 05 Jul 2012, 10:57 »

No, games are usually optimized for 32-bit because of existing install base. As that changes, they (along with lots of other apps) often do get compiled for 64-bit.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #37 on: 05 Jul 2012, 12:49 »

And ? There are still people that have old hardware and can't upgrade it. You can perfectly optimize something for 64 bits, which is actually very nice considering all the shiny new tech they brought here like SSAO (ambiant occlusion) and Tessellation, but you make sure that all your customers can actually play to the game no matter the hardware they have, unless that specific hardware is clearly told not to be compatible with the game, and here it is said nowhere that you can't play that game with a 32bits.

Moreover, I had to find a fix myself using the windows console to edit the boot settings to allow the RAM memory to bypass the 2Gb limit for a specified program. Solution found on a forum where some clever dude figured this out when all the other dudes were told elusive things by the tech support to fix the issue.

Seriously. /facepalm

Okay, it is my own fault that I run on a 32 bits system when I have done a mistake somewhere in the past when I installed that windows version by choosing 32 bits instead of 64 (/facedesk), and I still have the option to reinstall it with the proper version. But still, now I am in that situation I can't help but feel for the people that do not even have the choice.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #38 on: 05 Jul 2012, 13:18 »

And ? There are still people that have old hardware and can't upgrade it.

There's always a tension between sticking with backward compatibility and moving to the capabilities enabled by newer tech.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #39 on: 06 Jul 2012, 04:17 »

There's always a tension between sticking with backward compatibility and moving to the capabilities enabled by newer tech.

I remember when PC game companies slowly stopped releasing new releases on both DvD and CD, and I was like, "oh noes, I need a DvD drive in my PC to play this new title". 

Lyn Farel

« Reply #40 on: 06 Jul 2012, 06:19 »

I am all for moving forward, as long as it is specified clearly on the product.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 07 Jul 2012, 03:59 »

CoX is a really good example for all the gaming companies in this aspect.

You can play the game with a computer from the last millennium and it will run smoothly.

If you want it to look like candy for your eyes, then you need an up to date 'puter.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #42 on: 07 Jul 2012, 05:11 »

In any case, for those who may run it on 32 bits : http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=36376

Works well.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #43 on: 16 Jul 2012, 10:54 »

CoX is a really good example for all the gaming companies in this aspect.

You can play the game with a computer from the last millennium and it will run smoothly.

If you want it to look like candy for your eyes, then you need an up to date 'puter.

It still kinda looks like blocky shit even if you run on max settings.

I say this as someone who still plays it, even.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #44 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:37 »

Even the name would fit better for a Hello Kitty kind of childrens game than a horrorisque MMORPG.

I always though 'Lovecraft' would be a great name for the author of a children's series.

Or the owner of a chain of sex shops.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4