Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rimpon, an ovoid, golden coloured fruit with a tart taste, was invented by player Matariki Rain, and has since made an appearance in a number of player-created fictions?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Roleplaying Live Events: What Do?  (Read 3310 times)

Kybernetes Moros

Re: Roleplaying Live Events: What Do?
« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2012, 06:19 »

I suppose that the long and short of it (for me) would be "anything done shouldn't be decisive to the outcome, and it should be clear to the actors what you're trying to do".   Saying "marines inbound" or whatever leaves them in the dark; clarifying that you're trying to have them do something against the Cartel forces gives them enough to work with, if they feel like it -- and if not, well, it's easy enough to explain that away as poor timing or poor execution.

The more arcane the purposes become, the more I feel it's less likely that they'll be taken up, both in terms of integrating into the larger plot well and in terms of CCP knowing what they can actually do with a given hook.

The ECM in the Sansha events is a good example, like a few people have said; an interesting sidenote is that CCP ran with it both ways, at times. At some events TS-F / NQM's using ECCM on the wormholes was run with to great effect; if memory serves, Trytedald was particularly hilarious. Something to the effect of "conduit established" and suddenly e-war elite cruisers, everywhere.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2012, 07:18 »

In EvE some frigates can carry more cargo than a battleship. And I would strongly recommend you to avoid dropping a carrier for that, unless you are hiding a batphone in that pretty pocket of your suit  :P
In my humble opinion, to make it awesome like with jammers, you have to bring real marines in your cargo and drop them, or insert them into POCO (do you know if you can actually do it?) or station depending on what's being attacked.
I remember when I planned to make some fun with marines like that for some RP reason, but no one showed any interest and I forgot it  :|

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2012, 11:50 »

The actors tend to tailor the events based on who is winning and who shows up.

IE if you come in force and win in space, the 'script' will reflect your outcome (in many cases).

Focus on blasting people in space is the best way to advance your cause.

It's a tough line during an engagement because it might be difficult as capsuleers to just 'deploy' ground forces onto a sovereign space station run by an Empire faction. 

IE: It would make perfect sense for me if say, Ushra'Khan showed up to the battle site ahead of time with cargo haulers to 'reinforce' an area or showed up mid-battle to do so, as they have 'credibility' that their people would reasonably be allowed to assist with defense of a Minmatar station.   

If say, Aegis Militia showed up with 'marines' to help I would imagine they would uh, not be allowed to help, make sense?

Moral of the story I think with these sorts of events is to give the loyalist and antagonist RPers associated with the events a bit more leeway than the rest of us.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2012, 15:20 »

Focus on blasting people in space is the best way to advance your cause.
With this I agree completely, and that's what I prefer doing during events. I have a feeling that CCP's goals in events are to stimulate players to blow up each other and to stimulate them to work together against common enemy.

However, on the other hand, imagine a situation, when everyone brings a hauler with marines instead of combat ship. Even pirates, who are supposed to blow them up, appear in same haulers. They clog around devs, debating who brought the most marines. Haulers of opposing factions bump each other to prevent deployment of troops.
It would be so ridiculously funny on all levels!  :D

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 30 Sep 2012, 03:16 »

As long as they do not start again to interact with only a handful of RP entities, like they did with Syne in the Sansha events... vOv

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 30 Sep 2012, 14:57 »

I suppose the entire scenario does become irrelevant if every ship able to carry Marines is blasted out of the sky. The SYNE people were smart and brought two stealth bombers to deploy Marines, so while I managed to blap one out of existence they still had the other.

SYNE takes live events very seriously, and I look forward to fighting them in the future.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #21 on: 30 Sep 2012, 15:43 »

As long as they do not start again to interact with only a handful of RP entities, like they did with Syne in the Sansha events... vOv

There was a whole bunch of other people there. Soter was just vocal and first to pull gun, for better or worse. Plus, old Haeldone Dorgiers seemed to respond with some consistency, a la Nikiru et Grideris. But as a disclaimer, I've not actually been there, just spent hours trawling the logs, reports and articles.

But in case you were worried, believe me they havn't been giving anyone treatment they havnt earned (as of yet). People who got stuck in, talked to the actors and put ships on the line, like the angel pilots that were there have definitely recieved boons for their work. Though as usual they wont tell anyone what... cheeky buggers  ;)

Quote from: Rek Jaiga
I suppose the entire scenario does become irrelevant if every ship able to carry Marines is blasted out of the sky. The SYNE people were smart and brought two stealth bombers to deploy Marines, so while I managed to blap one out of existence they still had the other.

SYNE takes live events very seriously, and I look forward to fighting them in the future.

It is one of our strong suits :D

We aim to be a fun and interesting bunch to RP with (and to take better care of our precious stealth bombers! D': ) so its nice to hear some feedback, positive or negative :)
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2012, 15:46 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Lyn Farel

« Reply #22 on: 30 Sep 2012, 16:17 »

There was a whole bunch of other people there. Soter was just vocal and first to pull gun, for better or worse. Plus, old Haeldone Dorgiers seemed to respond with some consistency, a la Nikiru et Grideris. But as a disclaimer, I've not actually been there, just spent hours trawling the logs, reports and articles.

But in case you were worried, believe me they havn't been giving anyone treatment they havnt earned (as of yet). People who got stuck in, talked to the actors and put ships on the line, like the angel pilots that were there have definitely recieved boons for their work. Though as usual they wont tell anyone what... cheeky buggers  ;)

Ah ok, I guess I had a wrong impression with this.

Ninavask

• Psycho Scientist
  • Clonejack
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: 01 Oct 2012, 10:03 »

My thought on it is throw what you can at them and see what they stick to.

And honestly... wasn't that smart. I had 500 some marines nearby and when I decloaked to grab a corpse, because I am a corpse  chaser I admit it, I got popped by actors and you loyalist peoples XD. So I lost the ten marines that were there. When I went and grabbed my next ship, I realized ten marines weren't worth much so crammed as many as I could into the ship on the way back.

Here's hoping some day they link live events with Dust 514 live story arcs...?
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2012, 10:06 by Ninavask »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #24 on: 01 Oct 2012, 10:10 »

My thought on it is throw what you can at them and see what they stick to.

And honestly... wasn't that smart. I had 500 some marines nearby and when I decloaked to grab a corpse, because I am a corpse  chaser I admit it, I got popped by actors and you loyalist peoples XD. So I lost the ten marines that were there. When I went and grabbed my next ship, I realized ten marines weren't worth much so crammed as many as I could into the ship on the way back.

Here's hoping some day they link live events with Dust 514 live story arcs...?

personally, I think you should have had to be decloaked at zero on the station to deploy those marines. When we started deploying attack drones, we were at zero on the Occupied Transfer Facility. If I can just do that while cloaked, it sort of puts a meh on things.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ninavask

• Psycho Scientist
  • Clonejack
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: 01 Oct 2012, 10:16 »

I did. well not at zero. I warped in to 10 off station then approached it to 2 k before launching torp, then quickly burst away so I didn't go pop.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #26 on: 01 Oct 2012, 10:17 »

I did. well not at zero. I warped in to 10 off station then approached it to 2 k before launching torp, then quickly burst away so I didn't go pop.

Oh okay, so you actually did decloak to deploy them? I didn't notice that. Objection rescinded.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #27 on: 01 Oct 2012, 10:18 »

Yeah, he decloaked both times. First time got popped, second time he succeeded.

Ninavask

• Psycho Scientist
  • Clonejack
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: 01 Oct 2012, 10:32 »

I'm not very sneaky XD

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 02 Oct 2012, 14:51 »

Y'all don't even know how many Kamieras I have in my hangar. Angels are going to be in trouble if they come down by my hood!
Pages: 1 [2] 3