Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Combat! What has been some of your best and worst pvp experiences? Let's hear it  (Read 7997 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Post more than once, post whenever you have some fun combat stories. Good and bad, epic wins, tearful losses, leeroy jenkins accounts, etc. 

Let's hear of glory and defeat!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Most constantly enjoyable PVP:  Small-gang fights, less than 10-15 on each side. 

Least enjoyable PVP:

FLeet fights. FCing for hundreds of people and herding sheep. Taking an hour for people to get into the right ships, constantly keeping a lasso on large groups.

Excessive hotdrops.  Dropping 50 or 60 ships on top of my 4 or 5 person roam is just annoying.

Some of fondest pvp memories: 

The fights where you are barely hanging on, armor failing, structure failing, trying to squeeze out one more rep cycle (back when people armor repped). Outnumbered, outgunned, ship on flames with corp mates dying around you, yet somehow chasing off an attacking gang. Yelling in all caps in local mid battle: "MY TANK IS FIGHT!"

Hunting, being hunted, laying traps, falling into traps.

Winning fights when outnumbered and outgunned. NOTHING feels better.

Captaining an Alliance Tournament team, coming up with strategies and fits for the team. Winning all of our prelim rounds with I think a single loss almost flawlessly. 

The first time I saw a Titan on field and it turned its guns on my carrier, and I survived.

One-shotting buzzing interceptor pilots while in a battleship. Flying around trying to tease my big slow guns and then when they forget about transversal... zap.

Some of my worst pvp memories:

Leeroying entire fleets to death, losing 50 or 60 ships to my own stupid FC decisions. Letting fleeties down with poor tactical decisions and watching us all die horribly.

Spending HOURS an entire afternoon trudging about a hundred pilots damn near 40 or 50 jumps to join an 'epic fight' about to happen, and watching to my horror as the FC placed us on field directly in path of incoming bombers.  They killed literally like 50 ships in one salvo, ships and pods dying horribly.  Hours of prep time, an hour of travel, dead in 15 seconds.

Getting my ass severely kicked in alliance tournament as soon as we got to the big boy large team televized rounds.

Chasing nano-gangs. Hate nano gangs. Pre-nano nerf this was just ridiculously frustrating.

Most Embarrassing Loss:

Thinking I was safe on a station undock with a battleship, and then getting bumped by a Macharial about 50km away from docking range, watching helplessly as I was summarily chewed to pieces.

Undocking in a shuttle to transport somewhere, being instalocked by some jerkface in a quicklock loki, and then being instapodded before I even knew what was happening.  Embarrassing!

Trying to solo an Abaddon in a curse once, thinking I would be ace and safe with tracking disruptors and such.  Abaddon was extra-tracking-fit and was boosted remotely.  Shredded me in about 4 volleys. Pop!

Losing a fully rigged Damnation because I miscounted my security status and jumped into a .9 system trying to get to a Sansha live event.

« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2012, 15:08 by Silas Vitalia »

Jev North

There was this one time where, at 4am after hours of not-so-fruitful roaming, I tackled a freighter on a gate in lowsecthe one .5 system along our route. I even remember babbling something like "Point! Wow, I can't believe I got that- wait, are the gate guns supposed to hit this hard-"

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Jev that is hilarious ;)

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press

back when I was in Rote Kapelle on another character (Branson Reed, for those who don't know), we were living in some low-sec systems with a nullsec gateway.  We went on a cruiser roam into that nullsec into the territory of our current biggest enemies.  All you need to know about them was that they were a proper nullsec alliance of the time.  Nothing like the goonswarms and the -A-'s of today, but they were big, immobile, and with big shit, and more importantly prone to getting angry at this corp sitting on their border claiming to be a caravan of freespacers, which meant they made good fights.   Easy to antagonize.

We'd managed to push our way into their core systems, having made a few kills along the way, and fully expecting to die soon.  That happened, and in style.

We had engaged some of them at a gate or planet or something, when suddenly the biggest ship I've ever seen lands on grid, and a bubble goes up.   A Titan!

The FC starts telling us to get off the grid.  Suddenly, my rupture isn't there anymore...

This was back in the days of AoE doomsdays.

So yes, I will always be proud of the day that I was in a gang of 10 or so cruisers with a couple of assorted BC's that got nuked off the grid by a bored titan pilot :D
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

Two things show my best fight ever. One is a link, and the other is a picture.

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=10248297

The dualrep rifter is the most fun I have ever had in a frigate. It's is an incredibly intense experience, as you have so little buffer and rely so much on cap management.

That particular fight took place in Amamake top belt, and literal seconds after he popped a punisher landed. I got out by less than half a second :D
I have never had a bigger adrenaline rush from eve pvp, I was shaking so much I couldn't overheat my reppers properly and even turned them off once by accident. This was my first solo kill that I was actually proud of. Taking a fight in amamake is generally a bad idea, and the top belt is just silly, so it could so easily have gone differently.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Nice picture :)

That's what can be great about EVE; I'm a firm believer that some of the best emergent content can be found at any level, any size fleet, any size ship.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain

Undocking in a shuttle to transport somewhere, being instalocked by some jerkface in a quicklock loki, and then being instapodded before I even knew what was happening.  Embarrassing!

Was it Lukka?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Don't remember. Some facwar punk. Was too far away from friends to come back and teach 'em a lesson ;)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=7831078

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=7831080

Fukkin called it! Congrats Silas, you got noobganked by an EVE legend!

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=9759522

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=9759521

And so have I!

There is no lesson you can teach the great and powerful lukka. You may only learn the lesson of humility from him.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2012, 15:48 by Aldrith Shutaq »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=7831078

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=7831080

Fukkin called it! Congrats Silas, you got noobganked by an EVE legend!

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=9759522

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=9759521

And so have I!

There is no lesson you can teach the great and powerful lukka. You may only learn the lesson of humility from him.

Great and powerful my butt :P  I equate that kind of gameplay with something I'm not terribly interested in.

A kill is a kill though on some level, so hat's off to him if that's his thing :)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!

Way back in the day, before I even joined BoB, I was in the Great Wildlands with a dual MWD Rifter.

There was a small gate camp consisting of cruisers on a pipeline gate that I was harassing. I would bump into one of them and fly around them at 33km/s just to be a pest. They tried getting me numerous times, but I was simply uncatchable.

There was a station in system that I docked to do something IRL in. When I undocked, one of the campers was sitting there in a smart bomb battleship. I was killed and podded at the undock before I knew what had happened. This was back when you could still smartbomb on structures.

I felt so cheated and outraged, I got into my only battleship that was close by ( a scorpion), threw guns and jammers on it, and went flying solo back into the Great Wildlands. Along the way I picked up two bros or so, one in a frigate and the other in a cruiser I think. I didn't really care, I was in highlander mode.

So I go back to the system I died in, and the battleship pilot + his cohorts were still there. Somehow we got an engagement on the station 30km off it or so, his cruiser+frigate buddies and his one battleship against my group. I told my bros to kill his support, and I would deal with him (the battleship). I quickly learned I couldn't jam his tempest because I didn't have enough points, so I jammed his entire support fleet and went toe to toe with his tempest.

It literally came down to my scorpion vs his tempest in a straight up brawl match. I don't know how, but I killed his tempest with 30% structure remaining on my scorpion. I had to warp out before his automated heavy drones killed me.

I was so pumped from that kill it remains one of my favorite fights in EVE, some 8 or 9~ years later. I still got that tempest pilot's name in my address book. :D
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2012, 16:10 by Ghost Hunter »
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Fantastic story ;)

K. brought up a good point though with the adrenaline comment,

this is still the ONLY pvp  pc game that has gotten me visibly shaken, heart-pounding, OH SHIT sorts of moments.  I don't have as much of that these days but when you do, there's no other pvp game out there that comes close.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain

PVP doesn't excite me anymore. In the early days of Eve, when 1v1 engagements and small gang was the norm, I had fun.

I had the most fun back when new, MORE POWERFUL ship classes were coming out, allowing me a cutting edge that enabled engaging even unfair odds. Nowadays, every new release seems to be targeted at a lowest common denominator, and every ship can be countered with a bigger number of ships.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq

Most recent one that comes to mind. I've probably had more satisfying engagements, but it's late, and this one provokes particularly fond memories.

Long roam trying out the new inty-frigates from Placid that ended in Serpentis Prime. Folks were taking a bio:

[ 2012.08.10 22:06:54 ] KrigHa Jin > Hey role players
[ 2012.08.10 22:06:58 ] KrigHa Jin > that sooooo gay
[ 2012.08.10 22:07:00 ] KrigHa Jin > undock
[ 2012.08.10 22:07:01 ] KrigHa Jin > time to die
[ 2012.08.10 22:07:07 ] KrigHa Jin > you can even act out your own death
-Condensed, similar chatter from the rest of them for the length of our 10 minute break-

-Engaged with Hurricane, Vagabond, 2x Cynabal
-Result: One Dead Hurricane, one nearly-dead Cynabal, complete failure to kill any T1 frigates
-Bonus: Failure to pop anything on the undock with a badly fit Eagle shortly afterwards.
-Bonus: Total local silence from them for the next 5 minutes while we bounced safes planning our route home.

It wasn't a particularly amazing kill, but the fact the whole of local went from terrible smacktards to utter silence in the space of 20 seconds was pretty hilarious.

EDIT: Should also note these guys had us scouted at least 20 minutes before we hit the system, as we engaged a Daredevil who was later confirmed as a blue. In addition to this, they had a Dramiel trailing us all the way from Syndicate trying (and failing) to pick off stragglers every couple of jumps.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2012, 17:35 by Milo Caman »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4