EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE OOC Summit

direction of eve storyline ?

<< < (12/12)

Silas Vitalia:
Good stuff, all.

I think for minor consentual RP there's a whole world of 'that sound fine' worldbuilding outside of game mechanics no one bats an eye at.

Where RPers tend to always butt heads is how out of the average some people tend to go with their own things. 

We are often left with the crude metrics of group consent and gameplay metrics to guide us.

One thing I've found that helps a bit with this sort of thing is to in general try to use the in game assets and 'street cred' and other metrics to guide me.  This only applies of course to RP that can be game related. If you want to be a barkeep in a merc bar on some backwater planet, you don't need in-game anything to support this.

If you claim to be an ace solo pilot better than god and have 5% effectiveness on your actual killboard, nope and nope. That sort of thing needs to be supported.

If you claim to be an industrial mover and shaker and you show us your manufacturing que and some of your bank account readouts, we can all get behind that and your gameplay supports your RP.

This goes the same for some folks I've seen over the years trying to be grand space tyrants or heroes mostly forum/chat warring.  You can I guess RP that you abuse your baseliner crew or have tons of worshipfull followers around the cluster but it's always harder to believe that stuff if you come across as none of those things in-game. 

This was my attempted rule 100% for all my time here; my in game fortunes rose and fell with in-game performance.  When I was running some orgs and owning some small corners of null or low space and our own player stations my RP and non-gameplay RP reflected those good fortunes. When it crashes and burns and you get your ass kicked and lose it all, the same rules apply.  I certainly couldn't -prove- some of the things that were claimed for Silas during the "good" or "bad" times but it seemed a reasonable extrapolation for things that were currently reflected -in game-. 

I guess my only advice would be to yea, temper some of your out of gameplay content towards how well you are doing in-game perhaps.   

If you are a carebear running missions in high sec I don't want to hear about your vast network of null sec planetside assets, for example, it doesn't fit.

Silver Night:
Locking this, particularly as there seem to be snipped parts that didn't make it anywhere, so I don't really have the full context for the thread to take any other mod action, but there's also discussion of moderation etc, and it seems like people have been pushing over the 'you're doing it wrong' line as well. I know we haven't had a ton of activity lately, but pleased as I am that people still log in here occasionally the rules and FAQ continue to apply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version