Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That PIE has been at war with enemies of the empire ever since its foundation?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Bad Asses and In-Spaceness  (Read 8520 times)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
Re: Bad Asses and In-Spaceness
« Reply #45 on: 13 Dec 2011, 02:54 »

From a pirate's point of view, Andreus is right of course. However, from a capsuleer's point of view (and that was what we were talking about), destroying NPCs is equivalent to killing ants by squashing them with your finger. It takes time, but isn't particularly difficult.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #46 on: 13 Dec 2011, 03:43 »

From a pirate's point of view, Andreus is right of course. However, from a capsuleer's point of view (and that was what we were talking about), destroying NPCs is equivalent to killing ants by squashing them with your finger. It takes time, but isn't particularly difficult.

Better said than my post.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #47 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:09 »

Andreus, the flaw in your argument is the same as "killboards don't make you good."  Quality>quantity.  IC or OOC, anyone who has fought a player and run a mission knows the former requires more skill unless you're flying against a bad pilot.

That's true (but also, killboards don't make you good). I was more arguing against the general and somewhat inexplicable IC opinion that people who run missions are essentially doing nothing.

Ergo, while you may be destroying more, you aren't scarier.  By that logic, suicide gankers who nab 20b isk marauders are scary because of the sheer amount of stuff they blew up.

Think about this for a sec, Bacch, because actually, yeah, that concept is pretty scary. People who could strike anywhere, at any time and with quite possibly with no thought for their own security status, financial solvency or personal safety, whose only intention, at the end of the day, is the single-minded drive to ruin your shit.

That's actually a pretty scary thought. Suicide gankers are basically terrorists.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #48 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:13 »

Suicide gankers are basically terrorists.

Which is why I love that Rote Kapelle does a yearly campaign of highsec ganking the week of Christmas.   :evil:

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #49 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:16 »

Which is why I love that Rote Kapelle does a yearly campaign of highsec ganking the week of Christmas.   :evil:

Well thanks, 'cause now I know when not to mission. ;)

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #50 on: 13 Dec 2011, 07:21 »

By that logic, suicide gankers who nab 20b isk marauders are scary because of the sheer amount of stuff they blew up.

Hey, those guys ARE scary :)

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #51 on: 13 Dec 2011, 10:34 »

When a two-day old noob says that they're a bad-ass starship captain, then they're RPing either a lunatic or a liar.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #52 on: 13 Dec 2011, 10:37 »

If I ran a mining corp I'd definitely make propaganda posts about how incredible we were at sucking crok.

:)

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #53 on: 13 Dec 2011, 10:46 »

This is an interesting topic to be honest.

I think that in the end roleplaying a character who for instance is a recently graduated capsuleer who's middle aged (30-40) and has a solid history as a merc or navy ground pounder beforehand is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. So long as that character recognises that they're new to the capsuleer scene and that they have been effectively relegated to the bottom of the food chain.

One thing I love in Eve is watching how players, their characters and their relationships develop. Reputation always tends to make itself in eve over a period of time. I mean, when I first started, Verone was a disgruntled low ranking Federal Officer who'd been through a messy court martial and decided to walk away from the Federation, seeing no other option but exile from his home. He's come a long way since then as a Gurista loyalist.

In terms of what's seen as "bad ass", I'm sure that a mission runner who works for the Federation Navy, has +9.8 standings to a whole host of Federal corporations, and +9 to the Federation will be seen by the average Federal baseliner as a hero to the Federation and valued contracted asset to the Federal war machine.

In the same respect that capsuleer will be looked at as being low threat to most other capsuleers, someone who basically runs around as a bitch to their chosen faction, squashing bugs and taking out the garbage.

It's all a matter of perception really, we'll see another capsuleer completely different to what a baseliner does.

Anyway, killboards are a terrible way to gauge "skill" much of the time. You can determine 1) does this person solo a lot and 2) perhaps, what are they likely to be flying? A good k/d ratio solo is sometimes an indicator of skill, but, as stated above... see Lukka.

This basically.

By that logic, suicide gankers who nab 20b isk marauders are scary because of the sheer amount of stuff they blew up.

Hey, those guys ARE scary :)

I've only ever lost one ship to them.

I loved that crane, and the fortune it was carrying in datacores. Fuckers.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #54 on: 13 Dec 2011, 12:50 »

When a two-day old noob says that they're a bad-ass starship captain, then they're RPing either a lunatic or a liar.

At two-days old, they character is practically still a baseline human and not a proper post human.   To a baseline human any starship captain who can dogfight and win against more than ten other starships is a bad-ass.     To continue with the metaphor above, he's an ant who only ever known the the world of an ant and is now slowly becoming a human.     At the stage were he can dominate the entire ant hill, but is not yet aware of the wider world of the human he's going to be pretty smug.   Of course, non of the this disqualifies him as a lunatic.

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #55 on: 13 Dec 2011, 16:23 »

At two-days old, they character is practically still a baseline human and not a proper post human.   To a baseline human any starship captain who can dogfight and win against more than ten other starships is a bad-ass.     To continue with the metaphor above, he's an ant who only ever known the the world of an ant and is now slowly becoming a human.     At the stage were he can dominate the entire ant hill, but is not yet aware of the wider world of the human he's going to be pretty smug.   Of course, non of the this disqualifies him as a lunatic.

Actually. IC Crow was a something of bad-ass starship captain before he ever became a capsuleer.

That is to say. He was a bad-ass when compared to some human captains commanding standard crewed ship. And likely to have gotten wiped out by most any capsuleer commanded ship like just another Navy rat.  ;)

I think bad-assness of a character history from human side is unlikely to translate directly into bad-assness as a capsuleer. After all a situation of real life and death  danger to a human, is at worst a matter of upgrading your clone and setting up the next ship.
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]