Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Black Nova Corporation (BNC) and others still retain some offices in the Jovian Empire when it was opened during EVE's starter years?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Return of the Jove  (Read 22923 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Return of the Jove
« Reply #45 on: 03 Feb 2015, 13:47 »

Not SOTC was making a joke!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #46 on: 03 Feb 2015, 13:51 »

I don't know how many of you have been on sisi and seen the unidentified structures for yourselves yet, but they are big

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Like, seriously.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Really big.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Really big.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I can't help myself but wonder how big the texture files actually will be for something that huge. Either that (and it will be resource consuming like hell in terms of graphic memory), or either it will be way under resolution in terms of pixel ratio (= pixel soup), and that's really bad.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #47 on: 03 Feb 2015, 13:53 »

These are pre-schizm Jove I believe, before they branched into Sleepers and modern New Eden Jove.

This is an important distinction, when considering the ships. The description for the Drifter says that it is a very old design. So it shouldn't look like the modern Jove ships. It may be 1st Empire Jove, or even Terran technology.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #48 on: 03 Feb 2015, 13:55 »

That tower looks kinda mordorish... Not really Earth technology, but Middle-Earth technology...

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #49 on: 03 Feb 2015, 14:04 »

I don't think that's SOCT.

Rodenmort, he-who-must-not-be-reelec---aw, shit.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #50 on: 03 Feb 2015, 14:05 »

I don't know how many of you have been on sisi and seen the unidentified structures for yourselves yet, but they are big

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Like, seriously.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Really big.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Really big.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I can't help myself but wonder how big the texture files actually will be for something that huge. Either that (and it will be resource consuming like hell in terms of graphic memory), or either it will be way under resolution in terms of pixel ratio (= pixel soup), and that's really bad.

Neither. It is both nicely high quality, and no more resource intensive than the gas clouds surrounding it. As far as I noticed anyway.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 03 Feb 2015, 14:07 »

That's Orthanc for fucking sure.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #52 on: 03 Feb 2015, 14:30 »

Yes Ortanc ! That's the one I was looking for.

Neither. It is both nicely high quality, and no more resource intensive than the gas clouds surrounding it. As far as I noticed anyway.

It has to be. Or it is completely procedural textures but that I doubt it. It's mathematical really. The bigger the mesh, the bigger the texture must be not to be in low resolution compared to the rest of the textures. If you got say (completely arbitrary) 1024 px textures per 10 metres, than a 10x10 m object in surface will probably use a texture map close to 1024x1024 px. And if you got a 40x40 m object in surface, then your texture should be 4096x4096 px. And so on.

And it is really not comparable to gas clouds, which are shaders FX of particles.
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2015, 14:34 by Lyn Farel »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #53 on: 03 Feb 2015, 14:40 »

20:29:01   Notify   Heretic Soldier has yet to undergo physiognomic genesculpting. As a result, CONCORD has banned her from displaying her appearance in public.

Had a little kitefest with 2 Drifter BS. They are faast. Not Machariel-with-snakes fast, but still easily going to chase down anything from a plated cruiser upwards. They're also tanked to hell, and appear to have rudimentary ECM. When you break their first shield, your lock on that ship is dropped and they recharge a full, second shield. They do not aggress until you do, but will respond immediately upon being fired upon. They also call in reinforcements, with an initial spawn of 2x BS, destroying 1 will result in a new BS arriving along with 3 or more Circadian Sleepers. There are also some interesting visual effects I will attempt to screenshot.

Yes Ortanc ! That's the one I was looking for.

It has to be. Or it is completely procedural textures but that I doubt it. It's mathematical really. The bigger the mesh, the bigger the texture must be not to be in low resolution compared to the rest of the textures. If you got say (completely arbitrary) 1024 px textures per 10 metres, than a 10x10 m object in surface will probably use a texture map close to 1024x1024 px. And if you got a 40x40 m object in surface, then your texture should be 4096x4096 px. And so on.

And it is really not comparable to gas clouds, which are shaders FX of particles.

Gas clouds are famously resource intensive however, and the addition of the structure doesn't appear to have any affect on this.

Editing to add:

Visual effects: Very difficult to spot on a still screenshot, but the antenna generate a forcefield of some kind across them. Basically looks like a ripple in space, not unlike that inside the Stratios' ring.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Another screenshot to show just how fast these things are, and how surprisingly low their damage is:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

However, despite their low dps, I cannot overstate what a seriously huge tank these have. It takes my 1075dps Machariel around 5 minutes per ship.

Second edit:

It takes 170 goddamn seconds to lock the structure.

« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2015, 15:12 by kalaratiri »

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #54 on: 03 Feb 2015, 15:07 »

Quote from: kalaratiri
However, despite their low dps, I cannot overstate what a seriously huge tank these have. It takes my 1075dps Machariel around 5 minutes per ship.

:eek:

Perhaps we should not have pissed them off. I really hope that CCP somehow get these things to clean up POS in w-space.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #55 on: 03 Feb 2015, 15:12 »

I'm behind on the info for these guys but if I recall, if they spawn at a tower and the tower has automated defenses they will aggress the sleepers and the sleeper BS will trash the tower

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #56 on: 03 Feb 2015, 15:17 »

I'm behind on the info for these guys but if I recall, if they spawn at a tower and the tower has automated defenses they will aggress the sleepers and the sleeper BS will trash the tower

If the damage they were doing to me is any indication of the norm, I doubt they could even dent a POS's passive recharge.

Evi Polevhia

« Reply #57 on: 03 Feb 2015, 15:21 »

Correction. The sleepers could not dent the tower's overall recharge.  When they were involved on a killmail it was other hostile forces tossing in their dps as well. It's just that the sleepers have infinite ammo so they just dps'd it for a long while, giving them a massive damage total at the end of the killmail.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #58 on: 03 Feb 2015, 15:33 »

It might be that the jove turrets haven't been optimised yet for tracking values or something, could be as simple as a decimal in the wrong place or something to go from 'haha that stings' to 'wtf bbq' time

Lyn Farel

« Reply #59 on: 03 Feb 2015, 15:36 »

Yes gas clouds are insanely resource intensive. That's mostly graphic processing power.

Here we are talking about graphic memory. As long as your rig is modern enough, it should be ok. As they do not intend to put on screen many different objects of that size, it should be ok. =)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10