Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The main ingredients in Protein Delicacies were in fact organic waste, processed station sewage and second grade biomass? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Thoughts on the IGS, Amarr Empire, and the creation of claims  (Read 21001 times)

Odelya

And note: If you are not doing this as a popularity contest, then why is that the point that made you state "I am offended"?
Because according to Veik everything that isn't supported by "game mechanics" involves vanity poisoned sand castle building contests aimed at other people to make them tell you that your tits are big. And this is not the case.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2013, 11:25 by Odelya d'Hanguest »

Anslol

...seriously. It's a game. If you like basing cred off mechanics, go for it. If you like making fluff for people to use and have fun (like my NEIH project), go for it. You don't need to shit on people's parades.

Anja Suorsa

• Clonejack
  • N00b

Veik makin' friends xD

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain

No one can hurt your feelings without your permission. 

Just as Veik can ignore your "sandcastles", you can ignore any kicking of them, because in essence:

a)They do not exist via game mechanics, and can only be inferred via PF, and are not canonized more than a general assumption of 'possibility'.  We do not write canon.  We create fiction that can fit within it.
  a1) the sandcastles in question can not be effected by game mechanics, which is Veik's professed playstyle.

Therefore, something someone doesn't believe exists can't rightfully be kicked over.

And as Anslo pointed out, it's a damned game.

Iwan Terpalen

Because according to Veik everything that isn't supported by "game mechanics" involves vanity poisoned sand castle building contests aimed at other people to make them tell you that your tits are big. And this is not the case.
As far as I understand Veik, Veik does not worry about sand castles. Not enough to discuss them for eleven pages, in any case. It's far more productive to Veik to find an Achuran schoolgirl, snort a few lines of Crash off the handsbreath of bare skin between the top of her stockings and the hem of her miniskirt. And use the ensuing reduction in missile explosion radius to WIN!1. Top Gun theme. Curtains close. Tomorrow we do it all over again, but harder, faster, and better.

Odelya

Tell that my ex-girlfriend :yar:

You know, when I am playing Monopoly with friends, I ought to take it fucking serious. Because if I wouldn’t why should I bother to play? We play games for various reasons, to relax, to immerse, to excite ourself—to name only a few of them. But whenever the point is reached that someone says “it’s only a game”, I feel slightly uncomfortable. Why? I know that it is only a game. And when it is over I don’t give a fuck. But doesn’t this level of reflection ultimately does all my joy away while I am doing it? Doesn’t it just break the wall and throws me back to the reality I escaped while I was triumphantly waiting for this or that player to land on my Monopoly hotels? That said: Hell yeah, you’re right, it is a bloody game! Just let’s forget that it is “just a game” and enjoy ourselves! ;)

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain

*flips the board, kisses Odie full on the mouth, Scope takes pictures*

Anslol

.....well that escalated quickly.

* Anslol snap shots regardless and sends off to Scope.

Odelya

*flips the board, kisses Odie full on the mouth, Scope takes pictures*
Any time you want! :eek: :P

Anslol

YES. NOW WITH MORE PASSION!

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain

All of this is likely my own RL annoyances (nothing to do with in game) leaking into what I am writing.  I feel 'too casual' for, as was pointed out, ten plus pages of discussion (which to be fair a few of them drifted to Amarrian religion, as threads do, they drift).

Its just that as I watch this, the non-RPing lowsec pirate in me starts pointing at the tear-harvesters in the midslots and gesturing wildly, because this is, ultimately, EVE Online, and this RP community is, ultimately, a tiny clique within it.  When I see people getting this upset about this sort of thing I worry on a personal level as to how deep of an escape this "Monopoly Game" is. 

Anyone who's watched The Guild webisodes has seen the 'stereotypical' gamers, highlighted harshly yet humorously, but remove the humor and you have a choice to either get genuinely worried about those people as people, or want to back away from them. 

I'd rather not want to back away from anyone here, and would hope that something is being lost in text translation and for God's sake, on all sides, no one is taking any of this as seriously as it is coming across, and we're all posting pages and pages of explanatory pamphlets out of "I'm trapped at work and bored".

Veikitamo

Just as Veik can ignore your "sandcastles", you can ignore any kicking of them, because in essence:

a)They do not exist via game mechanics, and can only be inferred via PF, and are not canonized more than a general assumption of 'possibility'.  We do not write canon.  We create fiction that can fit within it.
  a1) the sandcastles in question can not be effected by game mechanics, which is Veik's professed playstyle.

Therefore, something someone doesn't believe exists can't rightfully be kicked over.

As far as I understand Veik, Veik does not worry about sand castles. Not enough to discuss them for eleven pages, in any case. It's far more productive to Veik to find an Achuran schoolgirl, snort a few lines of Crash off the handsbreath of bare skin between the top of her stockings and the hem of her miniskirt. And use the ensuing reduction in missile explosion radius to WIN!1. Top Gun theme. Curtains close. Tomorrow we do it all over again, but harder, faster, and better.

This basically, what's the big deal here?

At the end of the day I play Eve, an internet spaceship game about blowing up spaceships... by blowing up spaceships. If others want to play it to ponder the meaning to life, the universe and everything that's your own prerogative, I'm certainly not getting in the way of that am I?

I mean it's just two different philosophies. I'd say my top RP moment was when I had the idea, back as a Fed, to form the Villore Accords back with QCATS and SOTF in the FDU. It was a simple idea that had major impact and to me "shaped the world" far more than just spinning in my ship writing about doing things ever could. I mean hell, Nennamaila is still held after all these years after I chose it as the initial FOB for what back then was just a bunch of noobs with rifters. That to me is how I play the game -- the creation of ideas that provide both fun and tangible impacts in-game.

So yeah, I can casually ignore most other RP myself because really to me it's just people writing about things without actually acting on them at all.

Also, Eve isn't real for me, sorry, so I probably don't take it as seriously as others do.

Anslol

OK, cool. But why call out others on their fluff like you did on that IGS post?

Lyn Farel

So why are people getting offended of these things were neither directed at them, and do not apply to them?

Why is the backstage RP community targeted then ? That's silly.

Because everything that is pointed at in Veik thread is basically everything what I do, and what a lot of people do here. Starting with things like Mantenault.

How is that not directed at us ?

I'd refer to how this thread started, not how it has progressed now that everyone has stated their feelings on the matter, giving the person in question time to read through all of it.

And note: If you are not doing this as a popularity contest, then why is that the point that made you state "I am offended"?

It can be when someone starts to ascribe motives to someone else, either a targeted group or an individual. Which is, as far as I recall, breaking the rules of that forum.

Just as Veik can ignore your "sandcastles", you can ignore any kicking of them

It would also be cool if Veik actually ignored them.

Shitting on each other OOCly and telling other players that their play style is "crap" is part of the game too ? Not my game, not my cup of tea. Are we in a schoolyard ?

Its just that as I watch this, the non-RPing lowsec pirate in me starts pointing at the tear-harvesters in the midslots and gesturing wildly, because this is, ultimately, EVE Online, and this RP community is, ultimately, a tiny clique within it.  When I see people getting this upset about this sort of thing I worry on a personal level as to how deep of an escape this "Monopoly Game" is. 

Anyone who's watched The Guild webisodes has seen the 'stereotypical' gamers, highlighted harshly yet humorously, but remove the humor and you have a choice to either get genuinely worried about those people as people, or want to back away from them. 

I'd rather not want to back away from anyone here, and would hope that something is being lost in text translation and for God's sake, on all sides, no one is taking any of this as seriously as it is coming across, and we're all posting pages and pages of explanatory pamphlets out of "I'm trapped at work and bored".

And I feel that jab was totally out of place. Thank you for the comparison with the guild. We honestly needed that.

People seem to think that because they are anonymously on the internet, they can do whatever they like and forget any notion of respect.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2013, 12:31 by Lyn Farel »

Veikitamo

OK, cool. But why call out others on their fluff like you did on that IGS post?

Because you didn't give me enough hugs Anslo.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13