Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Aldrith Shutaq was once court poet and author in the service of the Etranhi Holders on Mishi IV? Read more here.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Second attempt - Players and community.  (Read 18640 times)

Ollie

• Egger
Re: Second attempt - Players and community.
« Reply #105 on: 08 Sep 2013, 19:30 »

Two events during the whole debacle stood out, in my perception:

1. Havohej and Morwen fanning the flames with a highly personal and inflammatory attack against Seriphyn
I've seen my post called an attack several times.  If a poster comes and asks for criticism and advice and receives these in an impolite fashion from someone who doesn't like that poster and has seen the same poster ask for the same feedback and ignore it for years while continuing the IC and OOC behaviours that have led to them having a large number of people dislike them IC and OOC, this is not an 'attack'.  It's criticism and advice delivered impolitely.  It can be called flaming, sure.  Shitpoasting, definitely.  An 'attack'?  That's a stretch.  If you were to read the post I made, you'll see that behind the profanity and open contempt was advice just as sound as what others gave - indeed, oft-repeated by others, Anslol for example.  As Silas pointed out, I gave too many fucks and let it get the best of me there.

Earlier in the thread Havo, you mentioned that Silas had said what you'd been saying all along (more or less) but no one 'got you'. So consider this maybe an answer/explanation for that and not any sort of other critique or accusation.

The way Silas phrases things, in general, is less emotive than you. The message might be the same, it might not be any less 'HTFU' at its core, but its use of language and rhetoric is more convincing because it remains on point and detached.

All of your stuff in the quote there about it not being an 'attack'? That's all semantics. Flaming, shitpoasting? Putting things in an 'impolite fashion'? Delivering commentary with 'open contempt'? More often than not that's going to be seen/defined as an attack.

I think people do get you. They got that you don't like Seriphyn(p). They got that you have your reasons and that you're - rightly so - the sole arbitrator of those reasons. And they got that your advice, while being sound for the specific situation you were suggesting it be used in, was delivered in an inflammatory fashion because of those background things.

Anabella's pretty much right, we've done the topic to death and the best thing is to agree to disagree while maintaining some respect for the other's position.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #106 on: 08 Sep 2013, 23:28 »

Anabella's pretty much right, we've done the topic to death and the best thing is to agree to disagree while maintaining some respect for the other's position.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #107 on: 16 Sep 2013, 20:17 »

Yet, wanting people to like you is a weakness that they will jump on like sharks to bleeding prey.
As I continue to wander through various threads and wonder at the drama just a few months of downtime accrues...

I'm not sure if you're talking about real world or EVE, but experience in both is that being honest with wanting others to like you works wonderfully. I've never had someone exploit my friendliness nor have they acted as (insert dramatic image)sharks on bleeding prey.(/dramatic image)

Human interaction generally isn’t a warzone where showing weakness is punished.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2013, 20:28 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lyn Farel

« Reply #108 on: 17 Sep 2013, 04:39 »

Even in the internet, especially in Eve ?

Shiori

« Reply #109 on: 17 Sep 2013, 04:42 »

Cliche'd but true: the best way to get people to be interested in you is to be interested in them, too.

What draws the sharks is people trying to look cool and failing, or ones that have the smell of desperation about them.

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #110 on: 17 Sep 2013, 06:13 »

Even in the internet, especially in Eve ?

The ones I've bonded with are not the sharks, the ones I've blocked are, simple as that.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #111 on: 17 Sep 2013, 11:41 »

I have been playing Vampire:The Masquerade - Bloodlines recently, and something seems somewhat relevant:
"The Jyhad:
The secret, self-destructive war waged between the generations. Elder vampires manipulate their lesser, using them as pawns in a terrible game whose rules defy comprehension. "

Substitute "Roleplayers" for "vampire", and contemplate the nature of this forum, chatsubo, OOC channel, The IGS, and various other paraphernalia of EVE roleplay.

"EVE RP Community:
The secret, self-destructive war waged between players. Elder roleplayers manipulate their lesser, using them as pawns in a terrible game whose rules defy comprehension. "

Vampires are noobs in comparison, lol.
\o/

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #112 on: 17 Sep 2013, 12:27 »

The alternate paths of mortality for the PnP game were interesting. I wonder if something like that could be developed for capsuleers.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #113 on: 17 Sep 2013, 13:14 »

I've actually considered creating a char that had adopted a Path of the Beast-like morality.
-OOChé

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #114 on: 17 Sep 2013, 13:32 »

I have been playing Vampire:The Masquerade - Bloodlines recently, and something seems somewhat relevant:
"The Jyhad:
The secret, self-destructive war waged between the generations. Elder vampires manipulate their lesser, using them as pawns in a terrible game whose rules defy comprehension. "

Substitute "Roleplayers" for "vampire", and contemplate the nature of this forum, chatsubo, OOC channel, The IGS, and various other paraphernalia of EVE roleplay.

"EVE RP Community:
The secret, self-destructive war waged between players. Elder roleplayers manipulate their lesser, using them as pawns in a terrible game whose rules defy comprehension. "

Vampires are noobs in comparison, lol.

Sleeping antediluvian finds this an amusing post ...

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Anslol

« Reply #115 on: 17 Sep 2013, 13:33 »

Holy freaking crap it's Saede Jade Constantine.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #116 on: 17 Sep 2013, 13:36 »

I do still like to follow eve goings on from a discrete distance, call it a particular kink.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Anslol

« Reply #117 on: 17 Sep 2013, 13:36 »

Can you sign my ship plating?

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #118 on: 17 Sep 2013, 13:49 »

Can you sign my ship plating?

Of course, how about:

"The angels all have guns now
The angels aren't anyone you'd want to pray to
This city eats its young"

Enjoy!

Anslol

« Reply #119 on: 17 Sep 2013, 13:53 »

No idea what it means but AWESOME.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10