Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raider ships have the same design and golden sheen as Amarrian vessels, but are mottled in rust-like vermilion? (The Burning Life p. 80)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Who can draw uniforms?  (Read 18931 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Who can draw uniforms?
« Reply #30 on: 23 Jul 2012, 16:30 »

I think you're thinking of this, Mata. And yes, do want.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jul 2012, 17:10 »

I don't even know why all those old incarna designs never got implemanted.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 23 Jul 2012, 18:26 »

Esna, thank you: yes, that. :)

Gessenier

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jul 2012, 19:05 »

I believe the FIO/SDII currently have their own paramilitary and police/security units. I've always pictured them wearing something like sleek matte black and minimalist high collared uniforms, of course with the obligatory leather gloves and jackboots that all sinister state police types wear.

As for the Federal military itself, I've always wondered if they have separate uniform types in the branches to distinguish between enlisted/NCO and Officers or if they just distinguish via brass on the collars and bars on the epaulettes.

As for the style of the uniforms themselves I'd imagine the battle dress be fairly functional and utilitarian with the parade uniforms perhaps borrowing from the military uniforms of Caille and the Garoun Kingdom. There's probably some room to insert some history and tradition there, like Officers getting to wear spurs if they're in a "Cavalry" unit, that sort of thing.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #34 on: 23 Jul 2012, 20:48 »

I always think anyone who's doing any real work in the SDII wears normal civilian clothes on the job.  The uniform of nonuniformity.  Plain.  Normal.  Unassuming.   The gray men.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2012, 20:55 by Ken »

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jul 2012, 22:14 »

I always think anyone who's doing any real work in the SDII wears normal civilian clothes on the job.  The uniform of nonuniformity.  Plain.  Normal.  Unassuming.   The gray men.

This is how it should be I agree - however I get the distinct feeling that from what I have read and the fact that :CCP: means that its likely however that they have that darker 'shady-sekrit-police' appearance in fiction.

I do however, personally prefer the 'jason bourne' for want of a better analogy uniform, looks normal but its most definately not.

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #36 on: 23 Jul 2012, 23:04 »

* Seriphyn will be using this.

I believe the FIO/SDII currently have their own paramilitary and police/security units. I've always pictured them wearing something like sleek matte black and minimalist high collared uniforms, of course with the obligatory leather gloves and jackboots that all sinister state police types wear.

That does seem to be the case, like in "Two Deaths", etc., at least for the SDII. The Jason Bourne stuff others have pointed out seems more typical/vanilla FIO to me.

As for the Federal military itself, I've always wondered if they have separate uniform types in the branches to distinguish between enlisted/NCO and Officers

I think I might go for this, since they seem flamboyant enough.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #37 on: 23 Jul 2012, 23:10 »

* Seriphyn will be using this.

More culture theft from the Federation, eh Seriphyn?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #38 on: 23 Jul 2012, 23:14 »

No, for the uniform chart.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2012, 23:24 by Seriphyn »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 23 Jul 2012, 23:14 »

By the way, I think it's quite un-Caldari for women to be issued a skirt in the military. It's distracting to men, it's not as efficient as producing pants for everyone, and it's either loose/revealing or restrictive to movement to wear a skirt.

Then again, I've never worn a skirt, so I can't say for certain on that last bit. But either way, I imagine no gender bias for standard issue uniforms. If the houses and buildings of Caldari all look the same, and the ships are utilitarian to the point of ugly, why should the Caldari differentiate between a male and female uniform?

ADDENDUM:

I'd also like to point out the very real possibility that those wanting Caldari women to wear skirts and such in the military are likely thinking - again - from a very western modern day perspective. Skirts are hot, and they are flattering to our senses. The same may very well not hold true to fictional Caldari sensibilities.

POST ADDENDUM:

Is there something about skirts that would make it likely to be standard issue to Caldari servicewomen? Perhaps less cloth required to make it? What is it about skirts that would make the Caldari say, "Hmm, yes this is the clear choice over pants for women."
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2012, 23:38 by Katrina Oniseki »

Gessenier

« Reply #40 on: 23 Jul 2012, 23:34 »

In the field? Oh, definitely. It would defeat the point really if people could spot who was SDII in public.

I was thinking more of what they'd be wearing once they pull the black bag off over someone's head in a brightly lit white room to conduct "Interrogations".

It's all about creating emotional distance or something in the subject.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 23 Jul 2012, 23:51 »

I don't even know why all those old incarna designs never got implemanted.

Because Harpa Einarsdottir left CCP and still has full rights over all her concept art. CCP wasn't legally allowed to use any of her work after she left, or so they say.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #42 on: 24 Jul 2012, 04:27 »

Is there something about skirts that would make it likely to be standard issue to Caldari servicewomen? Perhaps less cloth required to make it? What is it about skirts that would make the Caldari say, "Hmm, yes this is the clear choice over pants for women."

If that's why, then the men would be wearing them too. Which would certainly not be uncool.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #43 on: 24 Jul 2012, 04:45 »

Remember the Greek and Roman Empires ? They may well have been people from the south, mediteranean dudes with hot weather, they all wear skirts. It did not limit their capacities or anything. But yes, it depends of the skirt in question. The skirts we have in Incarna are definitly not practical the slighest.

And anyway, I agree with you Kat, that sounds also weird to me that women would wear skirts and not men for the Caldari (or the opposite).

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #44 on: 24 Jul 2012, 05:05 »

I thought about starting a new thread for this, but don't yet have all the links I'd like to have to show clothing costume art through the ages of EVE Online. ;)

Kat's mention of Harpa Einarsdottir had me looking up some of her stuff and finding a bunch of designs she did for EVE that I hadn't seen before. These are definitely from a previous conception of EVE but some of them are beautiful and most are interesting in one way or another.

http://www.behance.net/gallery/CCP-EVE-online/922833
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6